Magenta Panther

I feel this needs to be reposted into the Avatar thread:

OH THANK GOD.
I get what everybody says about Avatar 2/3, but the thing I don't like is it's easy to say that they won't make as much money as the original. It's like saying that team X won't win the Super Bowl this year: well, yeah, there are 32 teams and only one wins so you're probably right. Are you a failure just because you can't make another $2.7B movie? If Avatar 2 makes $2.2B, is that supposed to be a failure?

I think Avatar is only wanting as a theme park property when we compare it to Harry Potter. Well, anything is going to be worse than Harry Potter... it's a once-in-a-generation-or-more property that was perfectly suited for theme park conversion. Disney really screwed it up, we're not getting Harry at WDW, and it's going to cost Disney for years (decades, I think). We're worried about how many Avatar toys people are buying? Isn't that the kind of thing that we normally let Disney worry about? We should just think about how cool the rides could be.

But how about all of the rides Disney could build that would originate out of ideas that come out of THE DISNEY STUDIOS????? Where's the Mary Poppins ride? The TRON ride? The Disney Villains? Fantasia? Or Fire Mountain or Quest of the Unicorn? WHO NEEDS AVATAR???

Cosmic Commando

Star Wars is the obvious answer.

Avatar in the parks is a waste of money and effort.
As I say this, I feel I should note that my fandom reads in this order: Star Wars > Harry Potter >> Avatar. Could Disney make a Star Wars land that bests WWoHP? Yeah, probably. I still think that Harry Potter is better suited for theme park conversion than Star Wars. For thousands of pages and 20+ hours on screen, J.K. Rowling built that Harry Potter world with the restaurants, shops, food, drink and products to buy already there from the beginning. What do people in the Star Wars universe drink? Eat? Are you going to sell everyone death sticks? Where do they shop? Plus, the action in Star Wars is more fragmented: if you had a Hoth miniland, a Coruscant miniland, and a Kashyyyk miniland, I don't think it would be as satisfying as the way Hogwarts, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley all sort of work together to tell a story. Harry Potter was fairly local throughout the seven books, while Star Wars planet hops in every movie. Building a castle is easier than building a Death Star or Star Destroyer. I'm not saying one franchise is better, I just think Harry Potter was more suited for a theme park.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Speaking of that...you know what would work better at AK then Avatar (assuming they really insist on doing a movie franchise)...what about doing a Hobbit / Lord of the Rings themed world?

twebber55

As I say this, I feel I should note that my fandom reads in this order: Star Wars > Harry Potter >> Avatar. Could Disney make a Star Wars land that bests WWoHP? Yeah, probably. I still think that Harry Potter is better suited for theme park conversion than Star Wars. For thousands of pages and 20+ hours on screen, J.K. Rowling built that Harry Potter world with the restaurants, shops, food, drink and products to buy already there from the beginning. What do people in the Star Wars universe drink? Eat? Are you going to sell everyone death sticks? Where do they shop? Plus, the action in Star Wars is more fragmented: if you had a Hoth miniland, a Coruscant miniland, and a Kashyyyk miniland, I don't think it would be as satisfying as the way Hogwarts, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley all sort of work together to tell a story. Harry Potter was fairly local throughout the seven books, while Star Wars planet hops in every movie. Building a castle is easier than building a Death Star or Star Destroyer. I'm not saying one franchise is better, I just think Harry Potter was more suited for a theme park.
agreed...star wars is great but to me HP just lends itself to a theme park...one central place to tell the story and in this case hogwarts

bubbles1812

love that idea...im afraid for disneys sake they ll lose out to uni on that one as well

Love the idea of LOTR being developed for a theme park! There was a discussion in the Disney(Land) vs. Disney(World) thread about it where I fleshed out all my feelings about it :) There was a time I would have wished that a property like that would end up at Disney but sadly at this time, I wouldn't want it to go to anyone else but Universal as they seem to be willing to pony of the money to develop a project as it deserves to be built (Thank you Comcast...never thought I'd actually say that. ;)) I sometimes think about what would have happened if Disney had gotten Harry Potter, and I really don't think it would have been good. We would have probably gotten the Flying Broomstick spinner and one omnimover and that would have been that. (Ok, ok..I exaggerate..kinda. But I do not think they would have given the money to build Harry Potter the way it looks at Uni). If LOTR ever does get developed to be a land or theme park, Middle Earth is so rich and full of different things, one ride, or small land just wouldn't do it justice. I'm not sure Disney is really willing to pay for that (or give some creative license to the people who made the movies or even the Tolkien estate for that matter).

luv

AEfx said:
Eh...I see what you are saying....

I don't know what 60 fps is (or are.). I don't see much difference between regular DVD and blue ray DVD. And I'm sick and tired of movies that rely on 3D and special effects instead of a story that interests me and characters I care about. Up to here with special effects.

I didn't read your whole post because I didn't understand it and im not sure, but I think I agree, lol.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The average person doesn't know what 60fps is. And the only difference it will make is slightly more fluid movement - which, I'm sorry, I don't think many people complained Avatar wasn't "fluid" enough. This is the public that largely claims they cannot see much, if any, difference between Blu-ray and DVD (I disagree, I see a massive difference, but most people say they do not which is why Blu-ray is still a rather niche product).
While 60fps is not well known to the masses now I think it is something that will be big in the not so distant future. Coming from a video game angle where fps is king, there is a significant, real world difference between 24 fps and 60 fps especially when dealing with fast action. Once people see it both ways they will be clamoring for it.

It is going to be interesting to see how well your standard 120 mhz TV's handle it. If an upgrade to 240 mhz or better is needed to get the most out of it I could see hardware manufacturers really getting behind the standard to sell more TV's until the new 4Ks are at a reasonable price.

As to those that can not see the difference between 480p and 1080p (DVD and Blu-Ray) I can only think of two possibilities.

1. They are looking at a DVD through an up-converting DVD player.
2. They are legally blind. My 80 year old mother who could barley operate a remote control could see the difference between 480p and 1080p.

When I "admitted" I don't know people who watch with goofy glasses at home, you missed the point - in five years, penetration will be deeper (just by default, as by then most TV's will have 3-D standard, if people use it or not). And by then we won't be dealing with expensive goggles, Polarized technology is here but not cheap enough, but by then it will just be a light pair of glasses like you wear at the theater. (Yes, autostereoscopic like Nintendo 3Ds is also coming along, but the super-limited viewing angles inherent in the tech are at least a decade more from becoming viable for home size screens and most viewers.

We dipped out foot into the 3D would a little less that a year ago. We went with a 3D LG TV that unlike everyone else, uses the standard glasses that you see at the theater. The passive glasses provide a better experience on all fronts when compared to the active shutter. The are inexpensive ($30 +/- a dozzen vs $60 or more a piece), lighter, have a brighter image, no flicker, no dead batteries and a great viewing angle. Why the other manufacturers have not gone with them is beyond me.

Admittedly, we do not watch a tremendous amount of TV or movies on 3D but I have found that gaming, especially first person shooters, is much more immersive in 3D. Halo Anniversary came with a 3D mode and was the first game I gave it a whirl on. I expected it to be cute and gimmicky, but I was pleasantly surprised at what it really added to the experience.

The holy grail for 3D TV and movies will be the autosteroscopic 3D that you mentioned. If they can solve the viewing angle problem and get the cost to a reasonable level, 3D will finally take off.

cynic710

Between James Cameron and Peter Jackson, I'd much rather see what comes out of Jackson's detail oriented brain.

i think both can create awesome visuals for guests with experiences and attractions that will stand the test of time. I guess the difference for me is that cameron would be more futuristic and technology friendly, as jackson may lean more towards the natural aspect, either way, its a winning situation. if the powers that be intend on going outside from the disney brains for creativity, these two top the charts. (and that includes j.k)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom