jt04

[quote="Maerj,

Anyway, back on topic. Have they broke ground on this Avatar thing yet?[/quote]

Should be in November or December. Considering that Uni is working on at least three new attractions including Transformers* and Sea World is adding Antartica and Legoland contimues to add new stuff, I think you will see Disney start to move on stuff.

*OTPB "confirms" this

Maerj

Cool! Any new attractions at any of the parks can only be a good thing. It would be nice if the Transformers would replace the Marvel stuff at IOA... Disney could work wonders with a Marvel park.

jt04

Cool! Any new attractions at any of the parks can only be a good thing. It would be nice if the Transformers would replace the Marvel stuff at IOA... Disney could work wonders with a Marvel park.

Unfortunately that seems unlikely to be the case. HOWEVER, that may mean very positive consequences for the consumer. Perhaps Universal playing hardball over the Marvel license will create a spending backlash at WDW. Uni seems to be in a bit of a panic mode. Perhaps they think they have awakened a sleeping giant. Or perhaps they see an opportunity to take advantage of a stagnatting WDW. Time will tell.:)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Now if he would just announce he is cleaning up ABC News. Because until that happens I will not be patronizing anything with the Disney label including ESPN. I don't care how 'cool' AvatarLand turns out to be.

Well, the more things change....

bubbles1812

Unfortunately that seems unlikely to be the case. HOWEVER, that may mean very positive consequences for the consumer. Perhaps Universal playing hardball over the Marvel license will create a spending backlash at WDW. Uni seems to be in a bit of a panic mode. Perhaps they think they have awakened a sleeping giant. Or perhaps they see an opportunity to take advantage of a stagnatting WDW. Time will tell.:)

Oh jt, you are silly... they aren't in panic mode at all. They are in a "we are making tons of cash and are also being given tons of cash from our parent company so lets spend it" mode. I think they are taking advantage of that stagnating WDW as you said in your last sentence. If Disney were actually an "awakened" sleeping giant, you'd think they'd have a few more major projects related to the parks coming down the pipeline besides a project at Disney no one seems to wants to talk about...though for the record, I hope you are right and they do break ground this year. :)

Captain Chaos

They announced Avland will break ground this year? Would you be kind to provide me with that? I must have missed. But isn't it weird that there is no concept art whatsoever out there just few months before its ground breaking?

To be fair, Universal has broken ground on Potter 2.0... Where is the concept art??? Heck, they haven't even officially called it Potter 2.0 yet even though we know it is coming...

Disney rushed the Avatar announcement, no one will dispute that... But, I don't view not having concept art as a big thing just yet... For the same reason I mentioned above... Ground can break even without concept art... Universal is proving that..

bubbles1812

To be fair, Universal has broken ground on Potter 2.0... Where is the concept art??? Heck, they haven't even officially called it Potter 2.0 yet even though we know it is coming...

Disney rushed the Avatar announcement, no one will dispute that... But, I don't view not having concept art as a big thing just yet... For the same reason I mentioned above... Ground can break even without concept art... Universal is proving that..

I do agree with this but I have to ask if that's ever been Disney's pattern in the past (recent past, like last two decades)? Have they ever broken ground on a project without the release of some concept art first? Sorry, I honestly don't have any idea but it has seemed like they release concept art first as a pattern. Though of course I could be wrong. So then my question would be have they done it once or twice so there is at least some precedence for it?

jaredliu

You basically convinced me. However, if I remember correct, Universal hasn't "offcially" announced the ther second phase, right? they just say a few words hinting that expanding of HP is coming to Orlando on the announcement of Harry Potter Land for Universal Hollywood. But Disney went full force to make an official big press conference. And then, slience for 8 months. I don't think we are looking at the same scenario here.

Beholder

Maybe the difference with this project and others in Disney's past may be the collaborative nature of Avatar with James Cameron. Perhaps there is some "differing of opinions" between the two, and that may be causing the delay? Maybe when they both come to an agreement on the execution, then we'll see some art? Or maybe JC wants this under wraps until he has a better
grasp on where he wants the feature films to be
like, story wise and visually? I'm just speculating.

It's also probable no one has any idea what they're doing.

jaredliu

Maybe the difference with this project and others in Disney's past may be the collaborative nature of Avatar with James Cameron. Perhaps there is some "differing of opinions" between the two, and that may be causing the delay? Maybe when they both come to an agreement on the execution, then we'll see some art? Or maybe JC wants this under wraps until he has a better
grasp on where he wants the feature films to be
like, story wise and visually? I'm just speculating.

It's also probable know one has any idea what they're doing.
I agree with you. In my original post I am just wondering with all the possible scenarios to cause the "delay" and some fanboy says its going to break ground in a few months? Later this year? That was real pixie-dust if you ask me.

Beholder

I agree with you. In my origianial post I am just wondering with all the possible scenarios to casue the "delay" and some fanboy says its going to break ground in a few months? Later this year? That was real pixie-dust if you ask me.

Honestly, I'm hoping that if something does happen, it'll be amazing. I've stated before that Avatar/Pandora wouldn't be my first choice (or 15th), but if this is going to be, then let it be great. I'm not taking the "it's better than nothing" attitude, I'm more like "ok, this isn't exactly what I would expect, so it had better blow me away.". I'm looking for budget, unbelievable attention to detail, and a groundbreaking new ride system would be nice. And through all the silence on the subject, I'm hoping the delay/wait is over something process oriented, not because of cluelessness.

Captain Chaos

I do agree with this but I have to ask if that's ever been Disney's pattern in the past (recent past, like last two decades)? Have they ever broken ground on a project without the release of some concept art first? Sorry, I honestly don't have any idea but it has seemed like they release concept art first as a pattern. Though of course I could be wrong. So then my question would be have they done it once or twice so there is at least some precedence for it?

I don't recall Universal doing this either... But I could be wrong...

I think what it boils down to is: Disney rushed the announcement of Avatar to beat the rumor mills and to prove HEY WE HAVE SOMETHING TOO... Now it is sit back and wait time...

And remember, we have gotten Disney concept art on projects that never happened... So just because we get concept art doesn't prove the project is happening either..

Captain Chaos

You basically convinced me. However, if I remember correct, Universal hasn't "offcially" announced the ther second phase, right? they just say a few words hinting that expanding of HP is coming to Orlando on the announcement of Harry Potter Land for Universal Hollywood. But Disney went full force to make an official big press conference. And then, slience for 8 months. I don't think we are looking at the same scenario here.

Right... All they said was Potter was going to be expanded in Orlando... Gave no concept art or any specifics of the expansion... Even though we know Amity is where Potter is going, Universal hasn't officially said so... I wouldn't look at no Avatar art as being anything to worry about... It isn't proof of anything other than they haven't released any concept art... So, if ground breaks by the end of this year, which I doubt, or even next year (more likely) and we still don't have concept art, I still wouldn't look too much into it...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I haven't read all of the first 33 pages so sorry if this was already brought up. The original press release said Avatar Land would open in 2016 after the 2nd and 3rd films in 2014 and 2015. If some of the rides and theming is based on film #2 and #3 then maybe Cameron won't let them release details because he wants to keep the look, feel and details of the next 2 movies under wraps. I read an interview where Cameron talked about film #2 being set at least partially underwater. This is just pure speculation, but maybe they have some plans for a water/coaster ride similar to Journey to Atlantis at Sea World. They wouldn't release concept art for this until people saw the 2nd movie had a lot of underwater scenes. There will also be new creatures and characters in the next 2 films that we won't know until the movies come out. The biggest problem with all of this is there is a lot of speculation that the movies will be pushed back a year which I hope doesn't mean a 2017 opening at WDW.

Captain Chaos

I haven't read all of the first 33 pages so sorry if this was already brought up. The original press release said Avatar Land would open in 2016 after the 2nd and 3rd films in 2014 and 2015. If some of the rides and theming is based on film #2 and #3 then maybe Cameron won't let them release details because he wants to keep the look, feel and details of the next 2 movies under wraps. I read an interview where Cameron talked about film #2 being set at least partially underwater. This is just pure speculation, but maybe they have some plans for a water/coaster ride similar to Journey to Atlantis at Sea World. They wouldn't release concept art for this until people saw the 2nd movie had a lot of underwater scenes. There will also be new creatures and characters in the next 2 films that we won't know until the movies come out. The biggest problem with all of this is there is a lot of speculation that the movies will be pushed back a year which I hope doesn't mean a 2017 opening at WDW.

If the ride has features from Avatar 2 and 3, then maybe i can see no ride concept art being released... But that shouldn't stop them from releasing concept art showing what the land will look like... which descriptions of the ride system and ride itself, without going into too much spoiler detail about 2 and 3...

jaredliu

Right... All they said was Potter was going to be expanded in Orlando... Gave no concept art or any specifics of the expansion... Even though we know Amity is where Potter is going, Universal hasn't officially said so... I wouldn't look at no Avatar art as being anything to worry about... It isn't proof of anything other than they haven't released any concept art... So, if ground breaks by the end of this year, which I doubt, or even next year (more likely) and we still don't have concept art, I still wouldn't look too much into it...
Well then here is my point. Uni hasn't even has a press conference and we pretty much know all the thing coming to the HP2.0. AN E-ticket dark ride, a super cool transportation train, and Diagon Alley. But let's look at Avatar. Nothing. All between Iger and the Mr. Cameron. Well I am not worry about the project being cancelled although it might still has the chance. All I am saying is to open in 2015 seems questionable if you ask me. To break ground this year? Impossible. But like other posters say, I would rather see them delaying the project for the better quality of it. I supposed they made it so rush in the cooperation stage and told the public loud when they have nothing concrete. I am sure the place is going to be super cool based on Cameron track record (T2:3D) and the still talented WDI, but I think we probably have to wait beyond 2015. And I hope TDO gave them engouh cash to burn.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If the ride has features from Avatar 2 and 3, then maybe i can see no ride concept art being released... But that shouldn't stop them from releasing concept art showing what the land will look like... which descriptions of the ride system and ride itself, without going into too much spoiler detail about 2 and 3...
Why should they release concept art at all?

I don't see concept art from Universal floating around right now?

Captain Chaos

Well then here is my point. Uni hasn't even has a press conference and we pretty much know all the thing coming to the HP2.0. AN E-ticket dark ride, a super cool transportation train, and Diagon Alley. But let's look at Avatar. Nothing. All between Iger and the Mr. Cameron. Well I am not worry about the project being cancelled although it might still has the chance. All I am saying is to open in 2015 seems questionable if you ask me. To break ground this year? Impossible. But like other posters say, I would rather see them delaying the project for the better quality of it. I supposed they made it so rush in the cooperation stage and told the public loud when they have nothing concrete. I am sure the place is going to be super cool based on Cameron track record (T2:3D) and the still talented WDI, but I think we probably have to wait beyond 2015. And I hope TDO gave them engouh cash to burn.

We know what is coming for Potter 2.0 because of some insider information... I'm sure Universal had Potter 2.0 plans for a long time now... Avatar caught WDI off guard... They may even still be working on details....

Point is no concept art isn't a sign things are dead or not moving forward... Avatar was a knee jerk decision and announcement... And even if land breaks this year or next, no concept art isn't a sign of anything, no matter what some people want to make of it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom