jt04

Oh jt, you are silly... they aren't in panic mode at all. They are in a "we are making tons of cash and are also being given tons of cash from our parent company so lets spend it" mode. I think they are taking advantage of that stagnating WDW as you said in your last sentence. If Disney were actually an "awakened" sleeping giant, you'd think they'd have a few more major projects related to the parks coming down the pipeline besides a project at Disney no one seems to wants to talk about...though for the record, I hope you are right and they do break ground this year. :)

We will see. It took awhile for Disney/MGM to be announced and built after USO was being conceptualized. These things take time. We have no idea what is percolating behind the scenes. And you seem to have no inside knowledge.

bubbles1812

We will see. It took awhile for Disney/MGM to be announced and built after USO was being conceptualized. These things take time. We have no idea what is percolating behind the scenes. And you seem to have no inside knowledge.

I don't... but neither do you. Of course things take time, but even you admitted in earlier posts there are big projects being developed at Universal even if they haven't been officially announced as per insiders who work for/with Universal. But! the people with inside knowledge at Disney (any and all of them) have indicated that at least for the time right now, nothing is going on by the way of big park related projects in development besides the single one that has already been announced...and even on that, there is not much to report.

NoChesterHester

Wait a minute; have any of our insiders seen internal concept art? I remember '74 stating something about how "it looks very odd.". I could be imagining that.

Obviously nothing ready for public release but internally they definitely have something.

jt04

I don't... but neither do you. Of course things take time, but even you admitted in earlier posts there are big projects being developed at Universal even if they haven't been officially announced as per insiders who work for/with Universal. But! the people with inside knowledge at Disney (any and all of them) have indicated that at least for the time right now, nothing is going on by the way of big park related projects in development besides the single one that has already been announced...and even on that, there is not much to report.

They always claim ignorance. Always. The big secret is Mickey is a great poker player.

bubbles1812

They always claim ignorance. Always. The big secret is Mickey is a great poker player.
Um...that's silly and not what I've observed at all. Lee seems pretty upfront with his knowledge. Others have too. I have seen no claims of ignorance as you purport. Even if they can't speak to the absolute specifics of a project, they can say "an announcement is coming" or "there is development in terms of a project for DHS" ect. And again, in many threads on this forum, posters have asked straight up what is going on in terms of development...and again the insiders have come right out and said virtually nothing. Unless you are going to accuse them of lying? Even you changed your tune somewhat once Lee told you there wasn't anything going on with Lasseter championing projects at WDW/Tomorrowland and that a billion dollars was going to be spend on Avatar. Even if you have no respect for me (which is fine, I could care less), you definitely showed some respect towards him in terms of his knowledge. And he, again, nor any of the other insiders have reported any big project related movement for the parks at the current time.

jt04

Um...that's silly and not what I've observed at all. Lee seems pretty upfront with his knowledge. Others have too. I have seen no claims of ignorance as you purport. Even if they can't speak to the absolute specifics of a project, they can say "an announcement is coming" or "there is development in terms of a project for DHS" ect. And again, in many threads on this forum, posters have asked straight up what is going on in terms of development...and again the insiders have come right out and said virtually nothing. Unless you are going to accuse them of lying? Even you changed your tune once Lee told you there wasn't anything going on with Lasseter championing projects at WDW/Tomorrowland and that a billion dollars was going to be spend on Avatar. Even if you have no respect for me (which is fine, I could care less), you definitely showed some respect towards him in terms of his knowledge.

All of our insiders claim to have seen amazing plans of which they also say they are not sure if they will ever be green-lighted. These are projects that are fairly well developed and only awaiting funding.

bubbles1812

All of our insiders claim to have seen amazing plans of which they also say they are not sure if they will ever be green-lighted. These are projects that are fairly well developed and only awaiting funding.

And my bad, yes, they have occasionally stated such projects/plans do exist. I will give you that... I'm sorry it apparently wasn't obvious what I was speaking about but I was referring to projects that are actually being green-lit (or well, lack thereof) and there is not a lot on that front, yet again, except for Avatar. You can have great plans but if they aren't being approved, well it isn't exactly going to provide much benefit to guests now are they? When I say insiders could say "there is big development on a project for DHS" or an "announcement is coming," (if of course such things existed), I'm referring to projects actually getting approval and something we will see. But nope, they report this project was shot down, that project was shot down, and Disney simply doesn't want to spend the money but woo hoo!, there will be a new cost cutting measure announced soon.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I hate Avatar. After this section opens, I'll probably go check it out and never bother to go back to Animal Kingdom again until something interesting opens in good condition. The same went for Harry Potter. I hated that land. The ride is ok. Not worth a 30 minute wait. I'd much rather prefer the old forgotten beastly kingdom idea but I'm guessing that won't be coming any time soon.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
That is what he expected an assimilated person to say. You will not get anymore information out of him, as it will affect the rebellion against the ABC mind-controllers. :rolleyes:

It's a conspiracy, ya know!

I know what he's referring to, but it was an exceptionally minor incident at a local ABC affiliate, which has already apologized for the error. And it's also a very political topic, which Jt knows better than to have even mentioned....

Timekeeper

No one knows.

Yeah. I just wonder whether Disney will feel the pressure to reveal AVATAR as soon as possible, even if that means that some portions of the land are incomplete. Or, is there something to be said about the artistic integrity of the experience that is better suited for an all-at-once opening.

I posted a discussion a while back pertaining to whether we (guests) preferred phased openings (ala FLE), or complete land openings.

Being that AVATAR promises to be an immersive experience, I would probably prefer to wait until it's completed in its entirety (ala Wizarding World), and not just phased as portions are completed.

bubbles1812

Yeah. I just wonder whether Disney will feel the pressure to reveal AVATAR as soon as possible, even if that means that some portions of the land are incomplete. Or, is there something to be said about the artistic integrity of the experience that is better suited for an all-at-once opening.

I posted a discussion a while back pertaining to whether we (guests) preferred phased openings (ala FLE), or complete land openings.

Being that AVATAR promises to be an immersive experience, I would probably prefer to wait until it's completed in its entirety (ala Wizarding World), and not just phased as portions are completed.

I agree this would be their best strategy. I think the phased openings definitely lessen the buzz. Like for NFE...of those who are actually aware NFE is opening (granted many people aren't), I've talked to many a person who just wants to wait until the whole of NFE is open before going. Thus, they keep putting of their trip/s an go somewhere else. I think it's harder to make a big deal out of part of an expansion/land opening. People just don't get excited when they hear "though it's still incomplete." And even harder if it's a single ride, unless it's a mega E ticket like say Everest was or Splash was back in the day.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Based on their actions so far they appear to be in no hurry to rush something out. With Potter 2.0 already under comstruction there is no way they beat Uni to the punch. If Avatarland opens in 2016 or 2017 by then the new car smell will have worn off of Potterland and Avatar will be the hot new attraction on the block.

I agree with others that this should/will open all at once. Fantasyland is just an expansion or repurposing of an existing area so it made sense to open as rides were ready. Avatar will be a whole new themed land.

bubbles1812

Based on their actions so far they appear to be in no hurry to rush something out. With Potter 2.0 already under comstruction there is no way they beat Uni to the punch. If Avatarland opens in 2016 or 2017 by then the new car smell will have worn off of Potterland and Avatar will be the hot new attraction on the block.

I agree with others that this should/will open all at once. Fantasyland is just an expansion or repurposing of an existing area so it made sense to open as rides were ready. Avatar will be a whole new themed land.

It'll be interesting if that is so or rather just what is going on at the time of Avatar's release. I'm sure Avatar will have the hot new attraction (in theory), but it seems from info presented in especially the Universal thread, Uni doesn't intend to just stop after Potter. So there might be another project being completed by Universal relatively shortly after Disney completes Avatar. And who knows what some of the other parks in the area will be doing as well (though they obviously don't get quite the same media attention as Disney/Uni).

And yeah, again, totally agree they should/need to just open it all at once. Easiest way to sell it as the big new thing rather than saying one portion is open but you'll have to wait X amount of time before the rest opens.

Timekeeper

Speaking of butterbeer, I wonder if AVATAR will have their own "answer to butterbeer." In other words, will they have one iconic beverage, maybe something on par with our much loved Dole floats? You know, something that really shows the Moose Juice Goose Juice who is boss? I suppose it depends on the storyline of the upcoming movies. Will Cameron do a little product placement for future theme park refreshments?

And on that note, I wonder to what extent knowledge of AVATAR land will influence Cameron's decisions while completing the remaining films? Sure, some could say that theme park integration ought not affect his decisions at all. But, from a human nature standpoint, that kind of project looming in the background seems rather impossible to completely ignore or be affected by. Just a thought...

bubbles1812

Speaking of butterbeer, I wonder if AVATAR will have their own "answer to butterbeer." In other words, will they have one iconic beverage, maybe something on par with our much loved Dole floats? You know, something that really shows the Moose Juice Goose Juice who is boss? I suppose it depends on the storyline of the upcoming movies. Will Cameron do a little product placement for future theme park refreshments?

And on that note, I wonder to what extent knowledge of AVATAR land will influence Cameron's decisions while completing the remaining films? Sure, some could say that theme park integration ought not affect his decisions at all. But, from a human nature standpoint, that kind of project looming in the background seems rather impossible to completely ignore or be affected by. Just a thought...

It's an interesting thought but I feel like Avatarland would have very little impact on Cameron's decisions regarding the upcoming films. From the impressions I've gotten, he's already pretty much mapped out where he wants the second and third films go. Avatarland doesn't really seem exactly high on his priority list period. I've heard him talk about several big projects but they only mention we've seen from him on Avatarland is stating a ride will involve flying. That's been it. The only thing I would have seen him doing is giving a general heads-up to Disney about the direction his films will go in.

Also, I've seen that speculated about before on here as to whether Disney can make an answer to butterbeer. It's an interesting idea and honestly think that would be a great way to try to counteract something so very popular at Universal. But I saw nothing in the first film that even remotely stood out the way butterbeer did (or even pumpkin juice for that matter) in the Potter series. So I'm not entirely sure about how popular anything they would create along those lines could be?? I'd just like to see them make some unique merchandise...though even that's been talked about as something that will be pretty hard for Disney to do. It's not like kids are clamoring for Avatar merchandise.

Beholder

Merchandising for Avatar/Pandora will be an issue, to be sure. I think it's possible to create things that may be "buzz" worthy or unique, but the key is quality, creating something that warrants spending money on, and a range of things for all ages, budget, and taste. How? I don't know, but tying it in with great attractions is a start. Making certain items "limited" is another good way to get people to buy something. "Better get it now, won't be here next time".

I know this is just wishful or delusional thinking, but I LOVE unique merchandise. It makes it more special, being tied to a specific park, era, or attraction. As a kid, I remember seeing things I would die for now, but couldn't have. I'd like to see a little of that return.

And I know Avatar related material isn't exactly a gold mine, so I guess that's another challenge Disney will have to overcome is this, as yet to be seen, endeavor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom