Beholder

It'd be nice if Disney could at least throw us a teaser, at least something to gauge public reaction. Maybe conceptual art, hinting at an overall look. Something, anything...

Bairstow

It'd be nice if Disney could at least throw us a teaser, at least something to gauge public reaction. Maybe conceptual art, hinting at an overall look. Something, anything...

Assuming that there even is any viable concept art yet (and there probably isn't), Disney would probably only show it to select guest or internal focus groups, and not release it to the general public. Unless you're fishing for investors, it's usually a bad idea to leak concept art of things you aren't ready to build. It sets unrealistic expectations for your customers, who may be disappointed, and clues your competition in to what you're doing.

Beholder

Assuming that there even is any viable concept art yet (and there probably isn't), Disney would probably only show it to select guest or internal focus groups, and not release it to the general public. Unless you're fishing for investors, it's usually a bad idea to leak concept
art of things you aren't ready to build. It sets
unrealistic expectations for your customers, who
may be disappointed, and clues your
competition in to what you're doing.

Oh yeah, you're probably right. I was ingaging in some more wishful thinking that Avatar seems to have inspired in quite a few of us. Now if TDO would get inspired to do...something...

RSoxNo1

Anyway, back on topic. Have they broke ground on this Avatar thing yet?[/quote]
I only trust Will McAvoy with my news.

To be fair, Universal has broken ground on Potter 2.0... Where is the concept art??? Heck, they haven't even officially called it Potter 2.0 yet even though we know it is coming...

Disney rushed the Avatar announcement, no one will dispute that... But, I don't view not having concept art as a big thing just yet... For the same reason I mentioned above... Ground can break even without concept art... Universal is proving that..
Bad comparison. Universal hasn't announced Harry Potter 2.0, but yet concept art and track layouts have "leaked out". Disney announced Avatar more than 10 months ago, and nothing has come out.

Captain Chaos

Bad comparison. Universal hasn't announced Harry Potter 2.0, but yet concept art and track layouts have "leaked out". Disney announced Avatar more than 10 months ago, and nothing has come out.

How is it a bad comparison??? Disney announced Avatar with no concept art. Universal announced Potter expansion without concept art. Universal has not officially said Potter is going into Amity, even though we know it is. Universal hasn't officially released concept art. Heck, we haven't even gotten an announcement about Transformers in SS44 yet... However, construction is taking place, right?? Someone wondered if there was ay kind of precedence where Disney would start construction without releasing concept art... I pointed to Universal doing it right now... So, no, not a bad comparison... :)

Bairstow

Where's this HP 2.0 leaked concept art? How did I miss this?

It's been out for about a month.
The only real "leaked" concept art specific to phase 2.0 that I'm aware of are two sketches of the proposed ride vehicle for the Gringotts Coaster/Drop/Effects ride.
The rest of the art you see on websites is likely from the London indoor Diagon Alley exhibit.

More importantly, the Florida Management Office mistakenly posted the grading plans that Universal had submitted for government approval. People have been able to extrapolate full pavilion diagrams from these plans and even construct what are probably very accurate computer models.

Universal has yet to make any official announcements about the expansion, probably because they know that guests often put off their plans to visit until things like this are complete, so I wouldn't plan on any more concept art coming out intentionally until the expansion is nearly ready.

Tim_4

Didn't realize it's been 10 months. Wow. Big announcement, then nothing but crickets.
I think people missunderstand the timeline of Avatarland. The timeline was NOT:
1. Discussions and negotiations with James Cameron
2. Plans for Avatar Land are developed
3. Partnership with James Cameron announced
4. (Sometime in the future) Details begin to emerge.

Instead, the timeline was:
2. Partnership with James Cameron announced
3. Plans for Avatar Land are developed (currently underway)
4. (Sometime in the future) Details begin to emerge.

When they made the announcement, it was not "We have plans to build Avatarland." It was "we have plans to make plans to build Avatarland." They literally had NOTHING when the announcement was initially made.

Bairstow

I've heard some rumors that not only were the WDI people blindsided by the announcement, Cameron is interjecting himself into the design process, much to their consternation. I would love to know whether this were true.

Tim_4

I've heard some rumors that not only were the WDI people blindsided by the announcement, Cameron is interjecting himself into the design process, much to their consternation. I would love to know whether this were true.
The first part is true. NOBODY knew. WDI didn't know. DAK didn't know. Finance didn't know.

Can't comment on the second part.

Beholder

I think people missunderstand the timeline of Avatarland. The timeline was NOT:
2. Plans for Avatar Land are developed
3. Partnership with James Cameron announced

4. (Sometime in the future) Details begin to
emerge.

Instead, the timeline was:

2. Partnership with James Cameron announced

3. Plans for Avatar Land are developed
(currently underway)

4. (Sometime in the future) Details begin to
emerge.

When they made the announcement, it was not "We have plans to build Avatarland." It was "we
have plans to make plans to build Avatarland."
They literally had NOTHING when the
announcement was initially made.

That makes sense. It sounds much more "logical" than my assumption/understanding. Thanks for the information.

RSoxNo1

How is it a bad comparison??? Disney announced Avatar with no concept art. Universal announced Potter expansion without concept art. Universal has not officially said Potter is going into Amity, even though we know it is. Universal hasn't officially released concept art. Heck, we haven't even gotten an announcement about Transformers in SS44 yet... However, construction is taking place, right?? Someone wondered if there was ay kind of precedence where Disney would start construction without releasing concept art... I pointed to Universal doing it right now... So, no, not a bad comparison... :)
Universal hasn't announced anything yet, that's why it's a bad comparison. Disney has announced Avatar and there hasn't been anything.

Captain Chaos

Universal hasn't announced anything yet, that's why it's a bad comparison. Disney has announced Avatar and there hasn't been anything.
Actually, Universal DID announce Potter was being expanded in Orlando... They just didn't say where... So, it is still a good comparison... :)

bubbles1812

I find that really amusing if the rumors are true. It wouldn't surprise me in the least. From everything I've read about the Imagineers, they seem to act like an exclusive club and outsiders are bad!, bad! I say! Look at how Warners/Rowling balked at not getting offered a lot of creative control...and I think with good reason. If Disney/WDI had been in charge, I doubt we would have gotten Potter 1.0 as it looks today, not to mention that they would have probably wanted to add very little when it came to adding from the later films. I don't think we would have seen Potter 2.0 at all; just maybe a few small additions. Two lands in 5 years? No way...

I know Cameron isn't the easiest man to work with, but he generally does right when it comes to pushing new technology/spectacle/"going big"/whatever you want to call it. Of all the "outsiders" that could end up working on a project with you, I'd say he's possibly one of the few you would actually want given what he's done on his other projects. Though at least hearing rumors that Cameron is interjecting himself seems to indicate they did offer Cameron more creative control so it appears they may have learned their lesson just a bit after Rowling turned them down.

Lee

Adventurer
The first part is true. NOBODY knew. WDI didn't know. DAK didn't know. Finance didn't know.

Can't comment on the second part.
As I heard it...
1. Negotiations with Cameron (Including some VERY basic and non-specific art used in the pitch. Select few at WDI in the loop)
2. Legal/monetary issues wrangled with. (This was around when I first got wind.)
3. Announcement.
4. Attraction development gets underway.
5. Attraction development process turns out to be quite...ummm...arduous.
6. Details eventually leak out.
7. Details officially released.
8. Pandora opens 2017.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom