doctornick

I wonder if the boat ride what what @marni1971 had in mind when he talked about the show scenes starting in the queue with some new rides. I could easily see the first few scenes of the experience being part of the queue before boarding your boat and doing the ride itself.

Regarding the boat slowing down or stopping during the ride, that sounds cool, but the downside is that it would negatively affect the dispatch of boats and lessen capacity. A constantly moving ride would be able to service more guests per day.

RSoxNo1

I wonder if the boat ride what what @marni1971 had in mind when he talked about the show scenes starting in the queue with some new rides. I could easily see the first few scenes of the experience being part of the queue before boarding your boat and doing the ride itself.

Regarding the boat slowing down or stopping during the ride, that sounds cool, but the downside is that it would negatively affect the dispatch of boats and lessen capacity. A constantly moving ride would be able to service more guests per day.
Using something like Frozen Ever After as an example, you can have stops of up to 30 seconds without much issue. The stops just need to be less than the dispatch time for the boats.

rioriz

Both the boat ride and banshee will have show scenes in the queue...

DinoInstitute

Both the boat ride and banshee will have show scenes in the queue...
I still don't really follow what's making this any different. Like, is it anything more than just a preshow with a different name? Or actual full physical sets? Because I think queues already have a bunch of those, right?

rioriz

I still don't really follow what's making this any different. Like, is it anything more than just a preshow with a different name? Or actual full physical sets? Because I think queues already have a bunch of those, right?

When I wrote about the FoP queue earlier in the Summer the best comparison I could use was Universal's Poseidon Fury....check out a video of it if you have never been on it. Multiple show rooms will lead up to boarding. If it helps think about multiple HM Stretch Rooms that give you an understanding of the journey you are about to embark on...

DinoInstitute

When I wrote about the FoP queue earlier in the Summer the best comparison I could use was Universal's Poseidon Fury....check out a video of it if you have never been on it. Multiple show rooms will lead up to boarding. If it helps think about multiple HM Stretch Rooms that give you an understanding of the journey you are about to embark on...
That makes sense I guess. Honestly, I don't see how that wouldn't be a good thing, instead of waiting around in switchbacks might as well enjoy the actual storytelling.

doctornick

I feel like MK's POTC could easily be considered to have "show scenes" in the queue. I'm guessing it is something in that range, though perhaps more involved. If it is stuff that is key to the ride (e.g. like the stretching room for HM), I would hope/assume that it starts after the FP/standby merge so the FP+ users don't miss it -- because that's essentially a pre-show and "part of the ride".

Cesar R M

super sold if thats true!

No Name

That is a really great question regarding stops during the ride path. That would add time to the ride, especially since the track does not seem overly long.

On the flip side, that would lower capacity. Even if there aren't stops and the boat moves super slow to extend the ride time, less people will be able to ride each day. It varies per person, but to me, capacity that's too low is just as much of an issue as a ride that's too short.

I predict that this ride will certainly have one of those issues, or a combination of both. I hope I'm wrong.

I think I'm the only one who likes Dino more than Indy.

You are not the only one. And I agree with almost everything you said in your next post. I like the Indiana Jones ride, but Dinosaur is more up my alley. They're both very different.

Oh, this is even more irrelevant, but I would approve of it being re-renamed Countdown to Extinction. I think it jives better with the rest of the park and rest of the attraction names, including the two rides under construction.

Last edited:

rd805

So you have ridden both and you prefer Dinosaur? Is that right? For me, there is no comparison, but to each his own. Personally, I like to see what environment I am riding through instead of hearing sounds in the dark..

Exactly -- Dinosaur is way too loud, and pitch black. The effects are mehh --- BRING INDY TO MK lol.

raymusiccity

Using something like Frozen Ever After as an example, you can have stops of up to 30 seconds without much issue. The stops just need to be less than the dispatch time for the boats.

Loading all the guests riding their, oh, so necessary scooters, will provide all of the 30 second stops you'll ever need!

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
On the flip side, that would lower capacity. Even if there aren't stops and the boat moves super slow to extend the ride time, less people will be able to ride each day. It varies per person, but to me, capacity that's too low is just as much of an issue as a ride that's too short.

I predict that this ride will certainly have one of those issues, or a combination of both. I hope I'm wrong.

Actually, capacity issues in an boat excursion attraction has to do with number of riders per boat, dispatch time and unload time, not just length. Length is a part of it, but with an attraction like this, you are telling a story. It will have whatever real world capacity it was designed for. You could put the boats end to end with no gaps to maximize the capacity like an "omni-mover", of course you wouldn't do that, but you would still be governed by load and unload. If you know your load time at theoretical optimum is 30 seconds, you could allow for show scene stops or slow areas of 20 seconds allowing 10 seconds for resets. In fact, depending on reset speed, your show scenes could be longer. When it's working, FEA employs this technique. Of course, FEA had awful capacity issues before it's overlay removed Norway in favor of a fantasy location.

Capacity and "good show" go hand in hand. One of the only bad things about Pirates in Disneyland is the lift hill back to ground level. Magic Kingdom's Pirates unload isn't optimum either. For the sake of capacity, often rides such as Pirates are pushed beyond the consideration of good show. But the argument can be made that having boats stacked prior to unload isn't really additional capacity.

Getting back to our "Journey", having pauses or slow downs for scenes would be calculated in the length based on load and unload time. There can only ever be a maximum of 26 boats that can traverse the route. The ride vehicle is designed to follow that route at a predetermined speed. As I have mentioned in other threads, theoretical capacity and actual capacity are vary widely. slipping usually beyond 10% consistently. Regardless, this attraction clocks in between 4m30s and 5m30s. Longer than a pop song, but shorter than Bohemian Rhapsody.

*1023*

Speaking of songs and attractions, how about riding California Screaming listening to The Ramones "I want to be sedated". Starting the as you come to a stop the launch....should be close to lining up...

KingOfEpicocity

You are not the only one. And I agree with almost everything you said in your next post. I like the Indiana Jones ride, but Dinosaur is more up my alley. They're both very different.

Oh, this is even more irrelevant, but I would approve of it being re-renamed Countdown to Extinction. I think it jives better with the rest of the park and rest of the attraction names, including the two rides under construction.

I agree. The original was much better, especially the AAs. In excited to see what's going to happen to it after the refurb. Name will remain unfortunately.

Brian Swan

Good to hear. Do you know if the boat ride will have stops or will it be as short as the route indicates?
Assuming that it's the same ride technology as was used in Shanghai POC, the boats can move faster and slower - and theoretically stop. They can also rotate and move sideways - even backwards - in theory. I have heard nothing about how much of this technology will actually be used in the ride.

Brian Swan

We have the chicken and the egg here... Does the length of the dispatch time dictate the length of the stop, or does the length of the stop dictate the length of the dispatch time :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom