G00fyDad

I thought many of the changes to the Tree of Life, were actually made quite a while ago. At night. Top secret. :)

While that is quite possibly what really happened, I thought the reason for the refurb on the ToL was because a branch had fallen and TDO was afraid that the tree would hurt/kill a guest if left alone. I thought they gave the branches a good "once-over". They very well could have done what you are talking about, but why at night? Wouldn't that make the tedious job of replacing every leaf too dangerous and cumbersome to do at night in the low light?

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While that is quite possibly what really happened, I thought the reason for the refurb on the ToL was because a branch had fallen and YDO was afraid that the tree would hurt/kill a guest if left alone. I thought they gave the branches a good "once-over". They very well could have done what you are talking about, but why at night? Wouldn't that make the tedious job of replacing every leaf too dangerous and cumbersome to do at night in the low light?
It is not that hard to make the night time brighter than the day

DOOSAN_L20_YMCA.jpg

bjm72385

I thought all they were doing is replacing all of the leaves with LED infused leaves to enhance the nighttime shows.
I had asked about this a while back in the RoL thread. I would think that this would be quite a tedious task, one that would require lots of wiring within the leaves and branches that I would assume isn't already there. Not saying it couldn't be done, and even if at night, I would think we would have noticed if they had started this. As it was discussed in the other thread, with the latest video or pics released about the show, it looked to me like this may have changed to projections onto the tree instead of replacing all the leaves. Possible budget cuts maybe?

hpyhnt 1000

I don't know what it could be but something will make it different. One place they could start is somehow keeping the borders of the screen as out of sight as possible from every seat. This is a major problem with Soarin' imo. Also somehow making the blank screen "invisible" before the ride starts.

Excellent point on this. The blank screen simply won't do for this attraction. It would completely take you out of the attraction.

This has to be themed along the lines of the Hogwarts Express at Uni or the Tree of Life and It's Tough to Be a Bug at AK. In each case, great care was taken to make you feel like you are somewhere else. For HE, the screens in the windows are never blank; when you first board, they show a brick wall with steam rising in front, then street views of London before finally transitioning to the actual attraction. For ITTBAB, the entire queue and holding area makes you feel like you've been shrunk to the size of a bug. Even the theater itself works to complete the illusion you are in a giant tree. And you never see the edge of a screen. Flight of Passage needs to emulate the designs of these attractions.

It simply will not work to walk from this:
Screen+shot+2013-10-14+at+6.31.31+PM.png

into this:
soarin_08_queue_050416_bennett.jpg

I find I'm generally able to suspend disbelief for those things on soarin personally. It's the shoes hanging overhead that bother me to no end lol

Agree actually. The feet are annoying!

Suspension of belief is easy at Soarin' due to the nature and theme of the attraction. It's in a section of a theme park that showcases distinct, unrelated experiences rather than immersion in one cohesive narrative. In other words, it is very easy to ignore the blank screen at Soarin' because everything leading up to it is unconnected. It's a very compartmentalized experience. You enjoy Soarin' for what it is because that's all it is - a nice film that simulates flying.

That is not the case with Avatarland where everything centers on you (the guest) exploring a literal world of Pandora. Everything, from the attractions to the restaurants to the plants and the rock work, are there to make you feel like you are on this alien planet. As such, you can't have a blank screen as it would be a glaring acknowledgement that Pandora is all fake (which it is, but that's not what Disney wants to convey). I'd say you can't even show plain metal switchback rails or bare chain link. This attraction is not meant to be a nice film that simulates flying; this is meant to be a thrilling exploration of Pandora.

For Disney to pull this off, it can't even look like we are waiting in a massive show building. They need to theme to so that it looks like we are climbing through a mountain rain forest up to a cliff top perch. It all has to "flow" in a way that FoP is an experience rather than "just a ride." Should fun to see what they come up with!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Excellent point on this. The blank screen simply won't do for this attraction. It would completely take you out of the attraction.

This has to be themed along the lines of the Hogwarts Express at Uni or the Tree of Life and It's Tough to Be a Bug at AK. In each case, great care was taken to make you feel like you are somewhere else. For HE, the screens in the windows are never blank; when you first board, they show a brick wall with steam rising in front, then street views of London before finally transitioning to the actual attraction. For ITTBAB, the entire queue and holding area makes you feel like you've been shrunk to the size of a bug. Even the theater itself works to complete the illusion you are in a giant tree. And you never see the edge of a screen. Flight of Passage needs to emulate the designs of these attractions.

It simply will not work to walk from this:
Screen+shot+2013-10-14+at+6.31.31+PM.png

into this:
soarin_08_queue_050416_bennett.jpg

Agree actually. The feet are annoying!

Suspension of belief is easy at Soarin' due to the nature and theme of the attraction. It's in a section of a theme park that showcases distinct, unrelated experiences rather than immersion in one cohesive narrative. In other words, it is very easy to ignore the blank screen at Soarin' because everything leading up to it is unconnected. It's a very compartmentalized experience. You enjoy Soarin' for what it is because that's all it is - a nice film that simulates flying.

That is not the case with Avatarland where everything centers on you (the guest) exploring a literal world of Pandora. Everything, from the attractions to the restaurants to the plants and the rock work, are there to make you feel like you are on this alien planet. As such, you can't have a blank screen as it would be a glaring acknowledgement that Pandora is all fake (which it is, but that's not what Disney wants to convey). I'd say you can't even show plain metal switchback rails or bare chain link. This attraction is not meant to be a nice film that simulates flying; this is meant to be a thrilling exploration of Pandora.

For Disney to pull this off, it can't even look like we are waiting in a massive show building. They need to theme to so that it looks like we are climbing through a mountain rain forest up to a cliff top perch. It all has to "flow" in a way that FoP is an experience rather than "just a ride." Should fun to see what they come up with!

Since the ride is supposed to simulate a banshee flight it would make sense for the screen to show a continuous loop of the environment before the ride starts.

hpyhnt 1000

Since the ride is supposed to simulate a banshee flight it would make sense for the screen to show a continuous loop of the environment before the ride starts.

That's what I would think as well. The other option is to do something like the former Back to the Future Ride at Uni. Have an actual set around the ride vehicle and then lift up and into the screen area. But I don't know if FoP works for that kind of layout.

One other thing that would be REALLY cool if they could pull it off (but probably unlikely) is variability based on conditions outside - primarily if it is day or night. Imagine riding during the morning with everything in daylight and then coming back and the riding the night version in the evening. You could even have different ride profiles that take you to different parts of Pandora, along the lines of Star Tours.

The precedent for ride variability is already there; factoring in daylight/nighttime would be a cool bonus and I think would be a first (?) for a theme park attraction.

G00fyDad

It is not that hard to make the night time brighter than the day

DOOSAN_L20_YMCA.jpg

I know what you mean but that light would still cast an amazing shadow behind every leaf/branch between the light source and the worker. It would still make seeing the inner leaves at night a real chore.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know what you mean but that light would still cast an amazing shadow behind every leaf/branch between the light source and the worker. It would still make seeing the inner leaves at night a real chore.
True to a point, but one thing Disney still does tend to avoid is major work when something is technically on stage.

G00fyDad

True to a point, but one thing Disney still does tend to avoid is major work when something is technically on stage.

True. I would prefer for it to be after hours anyway. The last thing I want to see it a bunch of cranes slapped up against the side of the tree during the day. One thing is for sure though, this is going to truly be amazing and jaw dropping once it is completed. I still cannot wrap my mind around the Tree of Life lighting up like that during the night. I am going to purposely avoid any videos that may ruin it for me. I want to get here and see it in full view and with my own eyes to be able to take it all in for the first time.

Mike S

That's what I would think as well. The other option is to do something like the former Back to the Future Ride at Uni. Have an actual set around the ride vehicle and then lift up and into the screen area. But I don't know if FoP works for that kind of layout.

One other thing that would be REALLY cool if they could pull it off (but probably unlikely) is variability based on conditions outside - primarily if it is day or night. Imagine riding during the morning with everything in daylight and then coming back and the riding the night version in the evening. You could even have different ride profiles that take you to different parts of Pandora, along the lines of Star Tours.

The precedent for ride variability is already there; factoring in daylight/nighttime would be a cool bonus and I think would be a first (?) for a theme park attraction.
The lines for the night version would be soooooooo long.

HouseHacker97

speaking of the flight ride, does anyone have an idea of what exactly the experience would be like? Would I sit down into a cramped banshee with 5 other people or would I mount one by myself? Would the banshee (and I'm just assuming it will be a banshee-like vehicle) move more than just simple turns like Soarin? Would the experience be customizable/different each time like with Test Track's design features or Star Tours random (but limited) voyages? Or would each 'flight' be completely unique, granting riders full control to explore the world around them? sigh... :(that's a stretch, but i can only dream

Cesar R M

speaking of the flight ride, does anyone have an idea of what exactly the experience would be like? Would I sit down into a cramped banshee with 5 other people or would I mount one by myself? Would the banshee (and I'm just assuming it will be a banshee-like vehicle) move more than just simple turns like Soarin? Would the experience be customizable/different each time like with Test Track's design features or Star Tours random (but limited) voyages? Or would each 'flight' be completely unique, granting riders full control to explore the world around them? sigh... :(that's a stretch, but i can only dream
I actually expect something different.. all speculation.. but I imagine the ride will be not "us' doing the passage.. but other Na'vi.. and we follow them using the light helicopters from the first movie.
would make more sense than having 10 people crammed in a single banshee.

So each group of people enter copter while we follow the Na'vi on their rite of passage.
The preshow would be pretty much some Na'vi "linking" to their banshees as the "PANDORA tour operator" explains the whole rite before going to the load area where you get inside the big helis.

Mike S

I actually expect something different.. all speculation.. but I imagine the ride will be not "us' doing the passage.. but other Na'vi.. and we follow them using the light helicopters from the first movie.
would make more sense than having 10 people crammed in a single banshee.

So each group of people enter copter while we follow the Na'vi on their rite of passage.
The preshow would be pretty much some Na'vi "linking" to their banshees as the "PANDORA tour operator" explains the whole rite before going to the load area where you get inside the big helis.
Makes sense when you consider the size of a Human (not Na'vi) to a Banshee. Also we don't have to be on the Banshee. A good explanation could be that we're being carried by one instead.

HouseHacker97

Makes sense when you consider the size of a Human (not Na'vi) to a Banshee. Also we don't have to be on the Banshee. A good explanation could be that we're being carried by one instead.

I think James Cameron said at D23 that he "tried out the prototype" of the ride and whatever he was riding was moving to mimic a "breathing beast"

twebber55

I think James Cameron said at D23 that he "tried out the prototype" of the ride and whatever he was riding was moving to mimic a "breathing beast"
he seemed excited about it, both he and Bob Iger, but really what are they supposed to say
went to DAk this weekend and the size and scale of this project is amazing

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom