RSoxNo1

These plans were for the Flight of Passage show building. It is quite possible that the layout of the boat ride shown in these plans was never intended to be an accurate representation of what was going to be built, or maybe it was a very early concept. Don't take the boat ride shown in those plans as gospel.
Consider that these blueprints came out well before construction began. Also keep in mind the three different iterations of Mine Train track that existed. I don't believe what we saw in the leaked blueprints tells the current story of what the boat ride will be.

Edit: There has also been speculation by myself, @Tom and others that there will be a small drop in the boat ride.

RandySavage

That's a really good point. What I'm wondering is, for comparison's sake, what former or existing boat ride qualifies as a "C-ticket?" El Rio del Donald? Canal Boats of the World circa 1955? Maelstrom?

Applying ticket labels is entering murky waters, but I'd categorize Maelstrom as a D (due to full AAs and small thrill) and Storybookland Canal Boats as a C. El Rio del Tiempo also as a C. This is the ticketing system based solely on project scale & scope (not popularity or quality of execution).

With Navi River Journey that (if it is still a C scope ride) could mean boarding, floating through the jungles for 90 seconds, quickly reaching the finale discussed in the latest press release and debarking, for a ride time of 3.5 minutes.

Chris82

Applying ticket labels is entering murky waters, but I'd categorize Maelstrom as a D (due to full AAs and small thrill) and Storybookland Canal Boats as a C. El Rio del Tiempo also as a C. This is the ticketing system based solely on project scale & scope (not popularity or quality of execution).

With Navi River Journey that (if it is still a C scope ride) could mean boarding, floating through the jungles for 90 seconds, quickly reaching the finale discussed in the latest press release and debarking, for a ride time of 3.5 minutes.

That "C-Ticket" label on the blueprints is very curious to me. Do imagineers use that language internally, I wonder? And, if so, what do they mean by it? Cost? Ride length? Perceived guest popularity? A little of all the above, kind of informally?

I remember looking at an old Magic Kingdom ticket book and being really surprised at how the attractions were ranked.

DisneyRoy

That's what has me worried is that 3.5 minute time frame. I was hoping for something at least 5 minutes. I mean 90 seconds and then the finale? Hardly enough time in my opinion. Make it longer, get more boats in the water, get more throughput. My thought anyways. Although I think the theming will be top notch E-ticket worth, the length of the ride if this short will knock that way down for most people. Similar to 7DMT.

HauntedMansionFLA

That's what has me worried is that 3.5 minute time frame. I was hoping for something at least 5 minutes. I mean 90 seconds and then the finale? Hardly enough time in my opinion. Make it longer, get more boats in the water, get more throughput. My thought anyways. Although I think the theming will be top notch E-ticket worth, the length of the ride if this short will knock that way down for most people. Similar to 7DMT.
It may have started out as a 3.5 minute ride. But maybe Disney realized that they really needed to rethink the second ride over after the reaction to NFL. Plus it sounded like Cameron wasn't very happy there for awhile. Just a wild guess - no connections with WDW. Perhaps that's why there hasn't been to much information given out - plans being reworked?..?

DisneyRoy

It may have started out as a 3.5 minute ride. But maybe Disney realized that they really needed to rethink the second ride over after the reaction to NFL. Plus it sounded like Cameron wasn't very happy there for awhile. Just a wild guess - no connections with WDW. Perhaps that's why there hasn't been to much information given out - plans being reworked?..?

One can only hope. :)

RandySavage

That "C-Ticket" label on the blueprints is very curious to me. Do imagineers use that language internally, I wonder? And, if so, what do they mean by it? Cost? Ride length? Perceived guest popularity? A little of all the above, kind of informally?
Pretty much exactly that. Informally-used by different groups (industry-wide) to communicate different things: for Ticket-sellers it was once about demand (which is supposed to correlate with scale, cost, length, but doesn't always), for Marketers it's a way to generate interest (anything remotely big, like D-tickets 7DMT and Little Mermaid, get described as an "E"), for Designers, it's about scope. Time and the advent of bigger Es since the ticket-system was abandoned changes the classifications as well. When it debuted Country Bears was considered an E. Now, maybe a C. Placing Indiana Jones Adventure next to Jungle Cruise sees JC bumped down to D-ticket. D & C rides are a park's foundation with Es being the rarer highlight/draw. AK had three (Kali(D) & Discovery Riverboats(C), Primeval Whirl (C)) and now just two, whereas filled-out parks like MK & Tokyo DL have around 8-10 D & C rides (excluding theatricals & walkthroughs).

That's just my personal take on an informal classification system.

Chris82

Pretty much exactly that. Informally-used by different groups (industry-wide) to communicate different things: for Ticket-sellers it was once about demand (which is supposed to correlate with scale, cost, length, but doesn't always), for Marketers it's a way to generate interest (anything remotely big, like D-tickets 7DMT and Little Mermaid, get described as an "E"), for Designers, it's about scope. Time and the advent of bigger Es since the ticket-system was abandoned changes the classifications as well. When it debuted Country Bears was considered an E. Now, maybe a C. Placing Indiana Jones Adventure next to Jungle Cruise sees JC bumped down to D-ticket. D & C rides are a park's foundation with Es being the rarer highlight/draw. AK had three (Kali(D) & Discovery Riverboats(C), Primeval Whirl (C)) and now just two, whereas filled-out parks like MK & Tokyo DL have around 8-10 D & C rides (excluding theatricals & walkthroughs).

That's just my personal take on an informal classification system.

It's an interesting idea that C&D tickets could be the "foundation" of a theme park. My own family's theme park habits tend to be hopping from one E-ticket to the next, but I could see the case for that viewpoint, especially at a park catering to families with kids. I find that personally I often have my best theme park memories on "C-ticket" (or lower) attractions - PeopleMovers and trains and aging classics (although I wonder how much is a love of the attraction itself and how much is skewed by not having to wait in line...).

If Animal Kingdom is working on filling out its roster of C- and D-tickets, that's encouraging, although this river ride worries me because it might BE a C-ticket but LOOK LIKE an E-ticket, which means it may have lines like an E-ticket. Maybe it's time for Animal Kingdom sky buckets :p

RandySavage

It's an interesting idea that C&D tickets could be the "foundation" of a theme park. My own family's theme park habits tend to be hopping from one E-ticket to the next, but I could see the case for that viewpoint, especially at a park catering to families with kids. I find that personally I often have my best theme park memories on "C-ticket" (or lower) attractions - PeopleMovers and trains and aging classics (although I wonder how much is a love of the attraction itself and how much is skewed by not having to wait in line...).

If Animal Kingdom is working on filling out its roster of C- and D-tickets, that's encouraging, although this river ride worries me because it might BE a C-ticket but LOOK LIKE an E-ticket, which means it may have lines like an E-ticket. Maybe it's time for Animal Kingdom sky buckets :p

I think the right mix is the key (just as a great movie isn't one huge climactic setpiece (E-ticket) after another - it's a series of differently-scaled moments), and the most popular parks tend to have that proper mix. AK is solid on the shows and walkthroughs and has its (soon-to-be) four Es. What it needs are those atmospheric, medium-scale, family rides.

We're talking attractions which is half of the equation, the other half is park atmosphere/inbetweens/'symphonics', which I feel is critical and sometimes underappreciated. In another AK thread a bunch of people said AK was their favorite park, often citing they just like to wander around and take in the details. That is my personal qualifier for a great theme park - when the park itself becomes the 'E-ticket.' AK has that half down really well and the future is looking quite bright with the quality of work I'm seeing going into Harambe, Discovery Island, Rivers of Light. Pandora is almost assuredly going to be spectacular environment to just wander around. Having at least two new rides also bodes well, even if the boat is not an E.

TyTrap

I think the right mix is the key (just as a great movie isn't one huge climactic setpiece (E-ticket) after another - it's a series of differently-scaled moments), and the most popular parks tend to have that proper mix. AK is solid on the shows and walkthroughs and has its (soon-to-be) four Es. What it needs are those atmospheric, medium-scale, family rides.

We're talking attractions which is half of the equation, the other half is park atmosphere/inbetweens/'symphonics', which I feel is critical and sometimes underappreciated. In another AK thread a bunch of people said AK was their favorite park, often citing they just like to wander around and take in the details. That is my personal qualifier for a great theme park - when the park itself becomes the 'E-ticket.' AK has that half down really well and the future is looking quite bright with the quality of work I'm seeing going into Harambe, Discovery Island, Rivers of Light. Pandora is almost assuredly going to be spectacular environment to just wander around. Having at least two new rides also bodes well, even if the boat is not an E.
the macho man is on point with this statement.

Goofyque'

Just a note to say how much I'm enjoying this thread!! I accidently derailed another thread by saying AK is my favorite park. Still stands, but more on topic is my excitement this last trip in seeing ALL of the walls up! (got lots of cm comments on our tshirts made from pictures off the walls) That's a terrific sign of things to come, and seeing the details come to life on this thread is great! Thanks for all the info!!!

flyerjab

Just thought I would add this idea that occurred to me while watching The Force Awakens in a huge IMAX screen in 3D.

I was really impressed with the 3D on that large of a screen, especially the chase scene through the junk ships on Jakku. As I watched it I started to think about how neat it would be to have a simulator ride on an incredibly large scale, similar to Soarin' but bigger. Then I started to think about how great it would be for the simulator to match the intensity of the action scene sequences, coupled with eye-popping 3D 4K ultra high resolution, along with potential '4D' effects. That's when I realized how amazing the Flight of Passage ride will be. Cannot wait for this to open.

TyTrap

Just thought I would add this idea that occurred to me while watching The Force Awakens in a huge IMAX screen in 3D.

I was really impressed with the 3D on that large of a screen, especially the chase scene through the junk ships on Jakku. As I watched it I started to think about how neat it would be to have a simulator ride on an incredibly large scale, similar to Soarin' but bigger. Then I started to think about how great it would be for the simulator to match the intensity of the action scene sequences, coupled with eye-popping 3D 4K ultra high resolution, along with potential '4D' effects. That's when I realized how amazing the Flight of Passage ride will be. Cannot wait for this to open.
There is no doubt the film for the attraction will have a high frame rate projection and utilize real 3D like in the movie theaters.

TyTrap

I know this is from an old video posted by Disney Parks YouTube channel but I've been wondering what Joe rohde and James Cameron are looking at here. Obviously it's a projection on a screen but I notice little laser lights too. The second picture shows off physical elements in front the the big screen. I always wondered if this is for a specific attraction or if this was just an imagineering test lab.
image.png
image.png

Cesar R M

I know this is from an old video posted by Disney Parks YouTube channel but I've been wondering what Joe rohde and James Cameron are looking at here. Obviously it's a projection on a screen but I notice little laser lights too. The second picture shows off physical elements in front the the big screen. I always wondered if this is for a specific attraction or if this was just an imagineering test lab.View attachment 126526View attachment 126534
perhaps the laser and plant bio-luminescence tests for Avatar (and the supposed upgrades to the Tree of life?)

I wonder if they will enhance the boat ride by using ultrahd videos on the backgrounds, to make it look like a believable moving forest.

flyerjab

perhaps the laser and plant bio-luminescence tests for Avatar (and the supposed upgrades to the Tree of life?)

I wonder if they will enhance the boat ride by using ultrahd videos on the backgrounds, to make it look like a believable moving forest.

I was wondering about the use of 4K screens to give an element of depth to the sets that will be throughout this ride. If the budget has ballooned for this project, I could definitely see this particular ride costing a lot of money if they wanted it to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom