flyerjab

I actually looked at this the other way. This casts doubts on the recent rumor that this would open in 2016.

I thought of that also. The only thing that I can add as far as 2016 is the possibility that maybe the walkways into Pandora and the outside rock work, floating mountains, foliage, etc. will be finished prior to the rides. I never saw this completely opening before 2017.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Ok, I just enlarged the new concept art photo for that ride. Wow! If that is the amount of AAs, theming, etc. that we can expect from this ride. All I can say is…well…I can't really say what I want to say or @wdwmagic would delete this post. :)

I am glad that this came out so that we could put that other thread to rest finally! Also, I am still of the opinion that this expansion is going to blow people away with what it is going to offer. Spring of 2017 can't come here soon enough! Ugh!

Me too.

IMO, most of the complaints are weird. Avatar isn't my favorite, but I do have eyeballs. If anyone can't be a little excited that what is arguably the most visually stunning special effects spectacular of all time has been franchised by Disney who is now going to work with Cameron to make an immersive environment based on the movie that already wowed our eyeballs, I find it odd. Really odd. The movies rating? Not the right imaginary animals? Worried about the planet's atmosphere? Really? Disney could blow it, but we've got quite a while to judge that. Right now, I'm just really happy something cool is in the pipeline.

BrianLo

Didn't someone say they did this tho because Disney has been trying to seek avatar to OLC.

Yes, that was definitely true of the announcement in 2013, added to the fact the plans were just way too in flux to talk about in August of 2013.

Now though? From what I understand they tried upselling both Carsland and Avatar. Since OLC has jumped on New-New Fantasyland and Scandinavia (Frozen), I can't imagine they'd still be fishing around for Avatar. If OLC is being sold on anything now it would have to be Star Wars, which would go behind the current Tomorrowland in the remaining parking lot not carved out by New-NFL.

Avatar seems like it will forever remain a Florida exclusive, that in my mind is a very good thing (because I think parks need their own identity, not because I don't want Avatar spreading). Barring some crazy 10million guest bump to AK or something like that.

Rteetz

Yes, that was definitely true of the announcement in 2013, added to the fact the plans were just way too in flux to talk about in August of 2013.

Now though? From what I understand they tried upselling both Carsland and Avatar. Since OLC has jumped on New-New Fantasyland and Scandinavia (Frozen), I can't imagine they'd still be fishing around for Avatar. If OLC is being sold on anything now it would have to be Star Wars, which would go behind the current Tomorrowland in the remaining parking lot not carved out by New-NFL.

Avatar seems like it will forever remain a Florida exclusive, that in my mind is a very good thing (because I think parks need their own identity, not because I don't want Avatar spreading). Barring some crazy 10million guest bump to AK or something like that.
Yeah I guess I am surprised TDL isn't jumping at Star Wars yet.

Next Big Thing

Good ol' D23 Japan. Where nonsensically they, again, release all the good information for Avatar and fail to discuss their own expansion plans.
Word has been Disney announced parts of Avatar in 2013 Japan Expo because they are trying to get Tokyo DL to build Pandora. This could be a continuation of that.

Basically, Disney is trying to get TDLR to buy into Avatar.

BrianLo

It's still only the first day? They have saturday and sunday to talk about their own expansions which are Frozen and their fantasyland plans.I am sure more stuff will come down the pipeline.

Yes, I'm hopeful. There is a TDR 'special program' that is coming up later today. I was just assuming the parks presentation with executives was originally the more likely.

Did they announce something about Pandora at D23 Japan? What info?

The Na'vi boat ride (from the parks blog post) originated with Chapek's presentation yesterday at D23 Japan. Nothing that you haven't seen in this thread.

andysol

I thought of that also. The only thing that I can add as far as 2016 is the possibility that maybe the walkways into Pandora and the outside rock work, floating mountains, foliage, etc. will be finished prior to the rides. I never saw this completely opening before 2017.

There is no way they open Pandora without at least one of the rides. As impressive as dragon alley is, could you imagine it not opening with EFG?

I can't wait to just soak this place up at night. This land will be jaw dropping. Maybe the best land in the world.

flyerjab

There is no way they open Pandora without at least one of the rides. As impressive as dragon alley is, could you imagine it not opening with EFG?

I can't wait to just soak this place up at night. This land will be jaw dropping. Maybe the best land in the world.

Good point. That would be the ultimate tease I suppose. Still, I have heard it mentioned that the land itself will be considered an 'attraction', especially at night.

For me, the best way to go is one grand opening. I remember thinking how silly it was the NFL was opened in the fashion that it was. Due to the ridiculously long amount of time it took to build it, though, that was probably the only way that they could have done it without the guests losing their minds.

I keep thinking about going there the week that this expansion opens, and waiting until dusk to actually go so that we can witness the transformation from day to night as the bioluminescence comes to life. Just to be under the floating mountains as this happens will be an incredible site to behold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom