Your optimistic 15 month estimate is assuming construction starts right on January 1st, 2013, just after the Rose Bowl Game ends.

Disney clearly stated they plan for construction to start "in 2013", a rather vague timeframe. That could be April, 2013 or November, 2013 or any time in between.

The start of Avatar construction could still be a full two years away.

I think this Avatar announcement is the most interesting because Disney has never really announced something like this so far in advance. Generally the announcement would come three years before opening, just as the bulldozers have moved in for clearing and the attraction concepts and land layout has been locked in.

The announcement actually says construction is set to begin by 2013. So late 2012?

coachwnh

whether you like it or not, im sure the technology used to put this together will be amazing. i havent seen the movie, but when you put the type of people working together that this project does, i'm sure it will meet everyones expectations!! would love a show and a new ride. cant wait to see all of the specifics from those involved!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No one leaked anything to Lee....Sorry to burst everyone's bubble

Actually...it kinda did.
It was told to me about a month and a half ago....I simply didn't believe it.

I will take this opportunity to apologize to the imagineer who told me. Sorry I didn't believe you and sorry for any four letter words I may have let fly in your direction.:eek:

Unless he has retracted this statement, based on his track record I have no reason to dis-believe him.

Dan

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Unless he has retracted this statement, based on his track record I have no reason to dis-believe him.

Dan

I have a feeling a number of individuals knew, on this site and others. But the idea of Avatar being so far out in left field, they were understandably reluctant to say much of anything before the official word came down.

TP2000

The announcement actually says construction is set to begin by 2013. So late 2012?

This was the exact wording taken from the official press release.

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park is the planned site of the first AVATAR-themed land with construction expected to begin by 2013.

It could be considered semantics, but I initially read that as construction begins sometime during calendar year 2013.

But let's just go for it and say formally that Construction on Avatarland begins Thanksgiving Weekend, 2012!

A ground breaking ceremony will be held on November 22, 2012, with light refreshments served. See you there! :wave:

Tip Top Club

Listen, Let's be honest here. They JUST got the theme park rights, so pretty much anything that has been designed, still going to go through several more iterations before anything is truly announced. My information that it's currently planned to go in the CMM spot comes a from a source that I believe, that being said, I have no intention of pushing anything, because I fully understand that things can and will change.

This is very early for anything REAL to emerge.

Honestly though, to me, it feels like this is more about Universal not giving up the Marvel rights, as the phrase "Global Theme Park Rights" was tossed around so much, rather than the direct hit toward Harry Potter (which has been many people's gut reaction). That's really the only thing that I could gleam from this.

Figments Friend

Anyone else as excited as me to hear the BGM? I absolutely loved Avatar's soundtrack and can't imagine being able to walk around Pandora with that music in the background.

Heh....you can actually walk around a part of Walt Disney World already listening to 'Avatar' BGM. Yes!

Next time you visit Hollywood Studios, keep your ears open in the main plaza near the Hat. I happened to notice the music playing last week and freaked. They play a lot of famous movie themes at the front gate and near the Hat, but it was cool to hear the main 'Avatar' theme playing this visit. This was a few days before the announcement, so it has probably been in the BGM loop there for a while.

Very excited about this new project....really thinking this is going to be major and a good way. Cameron does not cut corners, and will not allow the money-holders to do so either. He is famous for that. I suspect we will be treated to some amazing experiences, regardless of if a Guest even likes the 'Avatar' films.

:)

Jimmy Thick

We know from this article that the idea of teaming up with Cameron only came up in the Spring of this year, so they have only been at work on this for at the most a few months.

Dan

So from spring until Fall no "insider" actually knew about this completely supports my claim if Disney does not want the public to know of anything, then the public won't know.

Anyone can claim they knew of something after the fact, after Disney made an announcement, it just proves my point all the more.

Disney saying they are budgeting 500 million to this supports my theory they have been working on this for a while anyway.

Jimmy Thick- Like "insiders" claiming facts about Disney cutting budgets...:rolleyes:

wdwfan4ver

Jimmy Thick,

I see you actually claim Lee, Juan, and Raven are liars despite the fact they have been giving out accurate information before Disney announced it like Juan giving out clues to the changed for FLE way before those changed were announced by Disney. The people are mention are true insiders and their information is usually accurate Including Raven leaking out info what is now the cancelled Hyperion Wharf.

If you want to call true "insiders" liars, than you are mistaken.

EpcotFanForever

Jimmy Thick,

I see you actually claim Lee, Juan, and Raven are liars despite the fact they have been giving out accurate information before Disney announced it like Juan giving out clues to the changed for FLE way before those changed were announced by Disney. The people are mention are true insiders and their information is usually accurate Including Raven leaking out info what is now the cancelled Hyperion Wharf.

It was leaked to me too -- I just didn't tell anyone.

Jimmy Thick

Jimmy Thick,

If Al Lutz had the information, or even a rumor about Avatarland, he would have posted something.

They have a budget set of 500 million dollars, which means they have a general idea about what they will do and how much it will cost, which means this has been worked on for a while. In no time before Avatarland did any "insider" suggest anything about Avatarland, only after the fact.

If people were really smuggling information that Disney does not want people to know about, this place would have had a cease and desist order by now.

My point is, don't believe all you read, unless you hear it from Disney.

Jimmy Thick-Investigation complete!!!

Lee

Adventurer
Disney is a state of the art corporation who knows what they are doing, they don't have "insiders" leaking information.
A completely untrue statement, made by someone who obviously hasn't had anything leaked to him before.
:rolleyes:
And no one one "leaked" Avatarland until Disney announced it because?
But they did. I know of several people who heard little tidbits about it. Most of them are not interested in posting on forums, the others (like myself) simply didn't think it was real.
No one leaked anything to Lee....Sorry to burst everyone's bubble
Sir? Calling me a liar? You base this statement on what, exactly?:mad:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If Al Lutz had the information, or even a rumor about Avatarland, he would have posted something.

They have a budget set of 500 million dollars, which means they have a general idea about what they will do and how much it will cost, which means this has been worked on for a while. In no time before Avatarland did any "insider" suggest anything about Avatarland, only after the fact.

If people were really smuggling information that Disney does not want people to know about, this place would have had a cease and desist order by now.

I don't believe you can have a C&D across the Atlantic. USA laws do not pertain to this website.

unkadug - Definitely NOT a Jimmy fan

NoChesterHester

Funny... every project I've ever worked on had an initial budget number, way before pen ever hit paper.

Keep talking. You are removing all doubt.

Lee

Adventurer

I have no idea what Al knew. Maybe nothing at all...

WDI has been actively working on this a relatively short period of time. As of now there are no firm plans or designs for anything that will appear in Avland. The $500mil is purely an estimate, just thrown out there as a ballpark figure...but is likely fairly accurate.

There will be no "cease and desist" orders. If an employee were to be caught leaking info, they could be fired for violating their NDA. That's the worst case scenario. For a site like this, or an individual poster, the most Disney can do is ask that the information/photo be pulled down.

Now, speaking for myself only, regarding the Avland info.
I heard it. Nothing specific, just the word Avatar emailed to me from a friend at WDI.
I laughed it off. I asked for an explanation, and didn't get it. Therefore, I just left it alone.
Why? Because I didn't want to stir up any noise over something that I didn't think was real. Last time I mentioned something I had very little information about (the Tron ride), it took on a life (and a thread) all it's own despite my protests that it was very vague and may never happen.
I value my reputation too much to just post every little rumor I hear.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I have no idea what Al knew. Maybe nothing at all...

WDI has been actively working on this a relatively short period of time. As of now there are no firm plans or designs for anything that will appear in Avland. The $500mil is purely an estimate, just thrown out there as a ballpark figure...but is likely fairly accurate.

There will be no "cease and desist" orders. If an employee were to be caught leaking info, they could be fired for violating their NDA. That's the worst case scenario. For a site like this, or an individual poster, the most Disney can do is ask that the information/photo be pulled down.

I heard it. Nothing specific, just the word Avatar emailed to me from a friend at WDI.
I laughed it off. I asked for an explanation, and didn't get it. Therefore, I just left it alone.
Why? Because I didn't want to stir up any noise over something that I didn't think was real. Last time I mentioned something I had very little information about (the Tron ride), it took on a life (and a thread) all it's own despite my protests that it was very vague and may never happen.

This sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation from an always reasonable and reliable source. :animwink:

Jimmy Thick

LOL!!!

I can't knock that, I see your point.

Jimmy Thick-But will remain skeptical as my nature...

Scuttle

Lee do you have any info at all about the location? Insiderimagine( I think his name is) is claiming to have concrete word that it's goin behind Asia, Which just makes absolutely no sense to me.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

If only you could give yourself some pithy nickname or catchphrase, then people would take you more seriously.....:lookaroun

Actually, scratch that. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom