AVATAR land construction progress

twebber55

First, was it ever confirmed that there was going to be projection mapping?

Second, it implies that work is completed on the mountains (other mountains were being mapped too, but there wasn't a good vantage point) and most likely the support structures that the projectors will sit on.
thanks

ULPO46

Yeah, it's not a viable plan. But, it would have been cool to have built a small lab where these plants and animals are being studied and you could get a walk through, maybe in a queue. The really expensive, do not touch plants could be behind windows and maybe an animatronic on an operating table with a broken leg.
Thats what Living with the Land is for. These have been concepts in the past but no one really deems these would attract anyone. Look when it comes to discoursing theming and ideas. Not everyone likes Star Wars, heard of Avatar, or like the idea of more kid rides in the only theme park that has "adult thrill rides". Sure Disney is a family park but i do believe it's time to start diversifying. Seas knows it can't depend on animals alone for profit, thats why they said to H-LL with themeing and added 2 new roller coasters. Now i know disney won't get to that point but dark rides alone and cheap effects can't draw crowds. Fad's are great and i believe Star Wars can be on par with Wizarding world from the concepts i've seen, but Pandora is going to have to wow in order to impress people to stay more than half day in the Worlds Largest Theme Park.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
First, was it ever confirmed that there was going to be projection mapping?

Second, it implies that work is completed on the mountains (other mountains were being mapped too, but there wasn't a good vantage point) and most likely the support structures that the projectors will sit on.

Unless it's just a preliminary test to see how projections would look on the mountains.

DDLand

Thats what Living with the Land is for. These have been concepts in the past but no one really deems these would attract anyone. Look when it comes to discoursing theming and ideas. Not everyone likes Star Wars, heard of Avatar, or like the idea of more kid rides in the only theme park that has "adult thrill rides". Sure Disney is a family park but i do believe it's time to start diversifying. Seas knows it can't depend on animals alone for profit, thats why they said to H-LL with themeing and added 2 new roller coasters. Now i know disney won't get to that point but dark rides alone and cheap effects can't draw crowds. Fad's are great and i believe Star Wars can be on par with Wizarding world from the concepts i've seen, but Pandora is going to have to wow in order to impress people to stay more than half day in the Worlds Largest Theme Park.
Mr. Velez, no need to be so dismissive of the incredible Disney's Animal Kingdom. It needed more nighttime attractions and draws. This expansion fits the bill perfectly. More will be needed eventually, but this park should be about to go over the top.

twebber55

CzrJAoYUQAAM1uf.jpg

saw this on twitter

Cesar R M

Yeah, this is probably the alignment grid they projected on the mountains to get a mask template.This way they get an idea of where the projection hits the mountain, what the contrast and colour balance will be etc... then they take this data to start on making the actual projection graphics.
wober6d.gif
a++ explanation.

ULPO46

Mr. Velez, no need to be so dismissive of the incredible Disney's Animal Kingdom. It needed more nighttime attractions and draws. This expansion fits the bill perfectly. More will be needed eventually, but this park should be about to go over the top.
Hopefully I'm just being a healthy skeptic. Animal Kingdom has always been my favorite park specifically the fact that the animals are real. I can go to any zoo around the nation and half of the time the animals are sleeping or aren't on display. Yet here at Disney no matter the time of year, you can always see at least one of those animals! Believe me when it comes to the natural world i love that aspect of the park because we aren't a Zoo. We are a theme park combined with real live animals. So believe me i don't hate Mr. Rhode's pet project.

BrianLo

I prefer projection mapping over physical lighting of the mountains for a few reasons:

1) It can be made slightly more dynamic and create the illusion that portions are moving slightly, or at least give the illusion of "life".
2) Physical built-in lighting is lovely at night, but an eyesore during the day. Think Cinderella's castle at Christmas. Even with the most clever masking of tiny physical LED lights, the mountains still wouldn't look quite natural during the daytime.
3) It is something that won't be a nightmare to fix when it breaks. We all know AK's track record.

As Tree of Life demonstrates, the tech is "there" to pull this off correctly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom