AVATAR land construction progress

JCtheparrothead

We were there this past week and there was a small opening in the off to the side. I kept waiting for the hostess to go inside at Tiffins to try and get a photo but never got a chance. She would smile at me because she knew I was up to something. The mountains are really massive in person.
I was back there the other day. The pictures do not do the Hallelujah Mountains justice. ANd from that vantage point they are huge.

HauntedMansionFLA

I'll have to go back this week and see if I can find this small opening. I walked through Nomad Lounge to see if I could get a better view. I started getting funny looks so I had to come out with the "Jedi business. Go back to your drinks" line :) :)
It's on the left hand side just past the gate pictures of Pandora. Its the chain linked fence with the green material to block your view. There is a small opening there. My wife didn't want is thrown out of the park.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Weird looking projections.
Who you calling weird looking? Take your moustache and your goofy red hat and......:cool::cool::cool:
early testing probably means very little
Did we know they were going to have projections on the rock work? I feel like it was mentioned somewhere but I can't remember where. It looks to be "incomplete" to me but it has a lot of potential.

Wonder if they could do a Death Star projection somewhere at night in SW Land.

WhatJaneSays

It looks like a mapping test pattern, but this seems a bit early to be doing mapping for the mountains. Unless they're just running ahead of schedule on this bit of the project? or they are anticipating a needing a longer lead time for any projection effects?

JLipnick

It's very interesting to see mapping and not accent lighting on the mountains. Thoughts: Maybe it will make greenery on the mountains look bioluminescent. One thing I've been imagining since day one is seeing the silhouettes of banshees on the mountain to give us the impression that they're flying by and casting a shadow...
weren't they testing the remote controlled flying dragon a few years back? that would also be cool to see "real" banshees flying above you. although i guess that would be a liability in case one fell onto guests. the other thing is could they be planning to cast an image of the huge planet that Pandora orbits? they could cast that image on top of the show building.

Rteetz

weren't they testing the remote controlled flying dragon a few years back? that would also be cool to see "real" banshees flying above you. although i guess that would be a liability in case one fell onto guests. the other thing is could they be planning to cast an image of the huge planet that Pandora orbits? they could cast that image on top of the show building.
That was for the opening of new fantasyland. I doubt we would see that happen above guests because of the falling risk. That's why drones aren't flown over guests but over water at Disney springs.

Cesar R M

Who you calling weird looking? Take your moustache and your goofy red hat and......:cool::cool::cool:

Did we know they were going to have projections on the rock work? I feel like it was mentioned somewhere but I can't remember where. It looks to be "incomplete" to me but it has a lot of potential.

Wonder if they could do a Death Star projection somewhere at night in SW Land.
plot twist.. inflate a big balloon behind the "mountains" and map project the big gas giant that Pandora orbits. (like in the project images)

A foolish mortal

Better stills of the projection mapping test:
1.jpg
2.jpg
AnimalKingdom-pandora-projectiontest-12122016-3.jpg

A foolish mortal

Im not really sure what to think of this. I hope they combine different effects to achieve the look of the planet being bioluminescent. Using only projections I'm afraid it wont look realistic enough. The light should come from the plants themselves, like they do in real bioluminescent sources, not just projected on, for it to look realistic.. so i hope they have some of that too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom