AVATAR land construction progress

Mike S

Gringotts has one piece of a screen attached to a Kuka arm. Avatar's system is...movingly...different.
89HANHg.gif

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's not exactly the standard system.

Yes, we have suspected for a while that it's no the off the shelf version of this system, but I assume the basic system is the same? This ride isn't going to turn out to be an Omni mover of a kuka arm based system.

I am just trying to get my head around what moving screens could bring to this ride system. Gringotts simply uses them to put a screen in the ride path and then move it out of the way when the vehicle moves along the path, but I don't how the vehicles here would move enough for that to be needed.

twebber55

Yes, we have suspected for a while that it's no the off the shelf version of this system, but I assume the basic system is the same? This ride isn't going to turn out to be an Omni mover of a kuka arm based system.

I am just trying to get my head around what moving screens could bring to this ride system. Gringotts simply uses them to put a screen in the ride path and then move it out of the way when the vehicle moves along the path, but I don't how the vehicles here would move enough for that to be needed.
agreed im struggling with the moving screens part

rioriz

The fact that there are 3 screens used in each theater allows for possible vertical and horizontal movement. Hold a sheet of paper in front of your face, now push it back, bring it forward swiftly, up and down, and curve it around your face...that is how the movement of the screens could go

doctornick

I'm perplexed as well, but that's a good thing. If the Imagineers and Cameron's group have come up with some experience that is complex enough that it cannot be easily described or compared to other rides, then that is what we should want to see. Having groundbreaking new experiences is a good thing and perhaps would help explain (part of) the huge cost of this project.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The fact that there are 3 screens used in each theater allows for possible vertical and horizontal movement. Hold a sheet of paper in front of your face, now push it back, bring it forward swiftly, up and down, and curve it around your face...that is how the movement of the screens could go

But what does that gain you that simply changing the image on the screen doesn't?

rioriz

But what does that gain you that simply changing the image on the screen doesn't?

It can increase thrill especially timed right with thrust of the vehicle and the movement of the screen. Its not that comparable but isn't it much more thrilling to sit up front on an Imax than a regular theater...or a 60" TV vs. a 12"

It will definitely be something that has to be ridden to understnad

mikenatcity1

It can increase thrill especially timed right with thrust of the vehicle and the movement of the screen. Its not that comparable but isn't it much more thrilling to sit up front on an Imax than a regular theater...or a 60" TV vs. a 12"

correct me if i'm wrong, but it almost seems similar to the building effect in Spiderman at Islands of Adventure...you're vehicle shakes and turns while appearing that you're flying to the top of a building, but the only thing changing is the wall infront of you...given that it's not just a movie but something physically moving, it makes it feel more real...

rioriz

correct me if i'm wrong, but it almost seems similar to the building effect in Spiderman at Islands of Adventure...you're vehicle shakes and turns while appearing that you're flying to the top of a building, but the only thing changing is the wall infront of you...given that it's not just a movie but something physically moving, it makes it feel more real...

No correcting needed...

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I am still not getting it. What is the difference between a screen moving closer to you, and the image on the screen zooming in or out?. To the rider is would look like the same thing. We aren't talking about the size of the screen, of course that makes a difference, we are talking about what a moving screen can add to the experience.

msteel

I am still not getting it. What is the difference between a screen moving closer to you, and the image on the screen zooming in or out?. To the rider is would look like the same thing. We aren't talking about the size of the screen, of course that makes a difference, we are talking about what a moving screen can add to the experience.

Depth perception would be different. But if there is already 3D imagery in play...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom