AVATAR land construction progress

Incomudro

I like Cameron and all for the most part, but Avatar kinda sucked. The script was pretty uninspired, the main actor was terribly bad and the precious mineral "unobtainium" is just cheesy. So to say that he's waiting to get the script 'right' is a stretch. The only thing mind-blowing about Avatar was the 3D. Absolutely stunning. Watching Avatar in 2D even on our 65 inch curved TV, puts me to sleep. It truly is dancing with wolves in space, just with worse acting. Cameron has been spouting every year that the movie(s) will be out in 2015, no 2016, no no, 2017, perhaps 2018, ya, that's it, 2018, and it'll have 3 sequels! Hell, he's as bad as Disney on setting an opening date. lol

That said.... I'm really interested to see what they do with this land. If it's half as gorgeous as the movie setting, then it'll be a sight to see.

Yeah, I think the movie's quite bad.
Even the Navi being blue in color, with cat like faces is something a 13 year old could come up with.
The various creatures sporting an extra pair of limbs? Also, very unoriginal and unimaginative.
"Unobtanium." Really? Also, very poor.
Buuuuut...
When it comes to Disney creating this land, this ride, the colors, the visuals - as something I can stroll through and ride?
I'm psyched.
A big part of the Disney experience to me has always been the attention to details.
It's what I marveled about in HM and Pirates the very first time I rode them, and still marvel at today.
It's why ToT, and EE - heck virtually all of Animal Kingdom are favorites of mine because they do this so well.
Pandora is following right in those footsteps.
(Despite the lame movie.)

ABQ

Right, as @Incomudro implies (sorry if I'm misinterpreting you). It appears that Rohde et al are doing everything possible to create a land that regardless of the first movie or any of its sequels, can stand on its own. I wasn't a fan of the movie, and typically I like Cameron's stuff, but meh. Still, and everything is speculation till we get into this new land, from all outward appearances, the movie(s) are secondary or just a modifier to the land itself. I for one and glad the movie did so well at the box office, as had it not, Disney probably never would have gotten of its butt and built anything, reaction to the Wizarding World or not.

rioriz

What do you mean by "movable screen"?

If not mistaken Gringots has a moveable screen...one of the first post I made about this ride was touting the moveable parts within the ride experience. I was told to think Harry Potter but bigger...

While I could see how various props and 4d experiences could "fly in and out" of your view per scene, admittedly I was skeptical of the moving screen aspect....

Thinking of how Gringotts works, I can imagine now how the moveable screen could be incorporated...

mikeh

If not mistaken Gringots has a moveable screen...one of the first post I made about this ride was touting the moveable parts within the ride experience. I was told to think Harry Potter but bigger...

While I could see how various props and 4d experiences could "fly in and out" of your view per scene, admittedly I was skeptical of the moving screen aspect....

Thinking of how Gringotts works, I can imagine now how the moveable screen could be incorporated...

So you think we'll be moving through physical sets too?

brihow

With the height of the show building is there a chance FoP could function much like the American Adventure in Epcot? Perhaps the Soaring type theatre is in just the top half with shifting AAs and set pieces coming in and out of view in front of a 3d screen?

That would be awesome....I would even be happy if it had animatronics and real scenery around the screen like "It's tough to be a bug". I'm absolutely hoping for some '4-D' type effects like mist, rain, wind, lightning, smells etc.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Everything we have seen so far indicates that this is using Vekoma's panoramic flight simulator ride system which is basically a ride vehicle in front of a large screen. I could see props flying in, but I don't see where a movie screen would work into this.

https://www.vekoma.com/index.php/specialities-and-attractions/panoramic-flight-simulator

po1998

Everything we have seen so far indicates that this is using Vekoma's panoramic flight simulator ride system which is basically a ride vehicle in front of a large screen. I could see props flying in, but I don't see where a movie screen would work into this.

https://www.vekoma.com/index.php/specialities-and-attractions/panoramic-flight-simulator
How different is this from the Soarin' ride technology, and who developed it first WDI or Vekoma? I remember seeing video of WDI model of the Soarin' ride technology model using an erector set.

flyerjab

In the new Soarin' Around the World, the one section over the Great Wall of China where you drop into a quick decent is very noticeable, even though you really are not moving as you appear to in the film. I can only imagine Cameron's mind helping develop a ride on a larger scale simulator with a greater range of motion. I think that this could provide for some extremely intense moments on the Flight of Passage simulator.

rioriz

I do not believe we are receiving the same system... exactly...I went back and looked at my notes and the Blueprint and there is a difference in the screen set up. Instead of one large screen there appears to be several screens in play. One on the bottom and two on top side by side or behind. This could allow for the top screens to be pushed back and forth or the bottom to rise and lower. Just thinking out loud...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Alejandro

Yeah, I think the movie's quite bad.
Even the Navi being blue in color, with cat like faces is something a 13 year old could come up with.
The various creatures sporting an extra pair of limbs? Also, very unoriginal and unimaginative.
"Unobtanium." Really? Also, very poor.
Buuuuut...
When it comes to Disney creating this land, this ride, the colors, the visuals - as something I can stroll through and ride?
I'm psyched.
A big part of the Disney experience to me has always been the attention to details.
It's what I marveled about in HM and Pirates the very first time I rode them, and still marvel at today.
It's why ToT, and EE - heck virtually all of Animal Kingdom are favorites of mine because they do this so well.
Pandora is following right in those footsteps.
(Despite the lame movie.)
I call the movie "Dances With Thundercats", to me it is akin to a ride, the first time you see it it, the tech and visuals blow you away, but repeat viewings show you the terrible flaws.
I mean, unlike "Aliens" some other movies, I can't stand 3 minutes of this on cable.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

articos

Gringotts has one piece of a screen attached to a Kuka arm. Avatar's system is...movingly...different.

articos

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom