AVATAR land construction progress

KingOfEpicocity

Here is what I think about Avatarland:

I don't personally care for the movie, and I was initially a bit disappointed about the attractions we were getting (we've waited this long for an upgraded Soarin' and a short boat ride?), but I do know that not every ride needs to be a stunning, ground-breaking E-ticket. The land is already starting to look fantastic and despite being underwhelmed at first, I'm sure that the Flying ride will be great! I'm still unsure about the boat ride, it has potential to be amazing, but I think we'll all just have to wait and see on that one. I don't really have any problems with what the land is being based off of, I believe that it can and will stand on its own. You don't have to have read the Harry Potter books or watched the movies to enjoy the WWoHP, so why should the same not be said for this land? I do understand the criticism of Disney basing an entire land off of a non-Disney IP that doesn't even have that large of a fan base to begin with, and that there are plenty of Disney IP's that could be used in DAK instead, but since we've known about this project for several years now, I don't really understand how people can still be complaining about that. Overall, despite being a bit skeptical about a few things, I'm pretty excited for this land and I think it will be a fantastic and much needed new addition to DAK.

I think IP wont affect the land in this case. I think really its just a place to start and build stories around. as for harry potter, imagine if it was just "wizard land." im sure it wouldn't be near as popular.

brihow

But sometime those complaints are justified. When it comes to theme parks, Disney set the bar very high for many years. People get upset when Disney doesn't live up to the high standard they set.

100% agree. It's also tough to not have high expectations when every presentation/release of new info from Disney involves them hyping it over and over. Either way - this expansion is completely needed and combined with the RoL and nightime safari will really round out the park. Ok ranting done, continue with construction progress!!!

Ps - I'm going to WDW in mid-April and will be sure to try to get a few shots of progress and hopefully some pics/video of RoL!!!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Great post. Wish we had more posters like you and less of the "this thing that hasn't been built yet sucks and if you say otherwise you're a troll" crowd.
But, feel free to apply the same standard to those that don't agree with your particular opines, yes?

JohnWD

It's not his optimism. It's his self righteous attitude and completely fake insider persona.
I hear you! I just think when posters rub us the wrong way, it would be better to either put them on "ignore" or just ignore them. It is a discussion, and sometimes even those we typically don't like their viewpoints can make for interesting discussions. But some posters take on the "police" role and rebutt every comment (such as @jt04 comments are stalked) which just stifles discussions. When other posters see the mean spirited rebuttal, they may be influenced not to post.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I hear you! I just think when posters rub us the wrong way, it would be better to either put them on "ignore" or just ignore them. It is a discussion, and sometimes even those we typically don't like their viewpoints can make for interesting discussions. But some posters take on the "police" role and rebutt every comment (such as @jt04 comments are stalked) which just stifles discussions. When other posters see the mean spirited rebuttal, they may be influenced not to post.

The real problem is when people start spreading mis-information, letting that go unchallenged can lead to bigger problems.

Atomicmickey

I wish a moderator could move posts with opinions out of this thread when they
occur, people would get the idea, and I wouldn't have to wade through three
pages of nothing at all about construction progress.

Like, for example, this post. Which I shouldn't have to make.

We should make a sticky "complain about Avatar HERE" thread at the top or something.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Here is the problem, this thread was to be a bout the construction that was happening, not should the project be built or not. There are other Threads that deal with people that do not like this project, even one made just for those that hate the project. There should be one thread that is without all the discussion about how bad Disney is. Let this thread be about the construction and delete anything else.

It is not that I want to close off discussion by the Avatar and Disney haters, I just want one place to discuss the project without all of that.

PorterRedkey

Any construction news?
Do you think the new StoryMaker test at MK is rolling out now because they need it to work for Pandora?

I am not sure, it may just be rolling out now because they can finally do it. After all, it is way behind the scheduled rollout.

I am looking forward to seeing what StoryMaker has to offer, but I hope it is better that a cheap ET-type farewell. ET never got my name right, but he is an alien so I forgive.

KingOfEpicocity

Any construction news?
Do you think the new StoryMaker test at MK is rolling out now because they need it to work for Pandora?

I am not sure, it may just be rolling out now because they can finally do it. After all, it is way behind the scheduled rollout.

I am looking forward to seeing what StoryMaker has to offer, but I hope it is better that a cheap ET-type farewell. ET never got my name right, but he is an alien so I forgive.

How would they be able to implement that into the ride(s)? I wouldn't think there would be meet and greets. It would be weird if there was.

Mike S

Any construction news?

None of the StoryMaker stuff was working when I was there this past weekend.

Last edited:

No Name

How would they be able to implement that into the ride(s)? I wouldn't think there would be meet and greets. It would be weird if there was.

It seems you have not learned the lesson Disney has been trying to teach you for the last few decades. It's about believing. It's about dreaming the seemingly impossible. Think about anywhere, anywhere at all where you could be part of the ride.

Think about TSMM. What if there were new things that you could shoot or even new "scenes" or "stages" you could opt to play depending on your high score or number of times ridden? What if there was a special birthday level? What if the Mr. Potato head animatronic in the queue could congratulate you on a high score? It would freshen the experience so much.

Think about The Simpsons's Ride at Universal. In the queue, there are some screens with simpsons characters on them telling jokes. Problem is, I hear the same jokes over and over. What if the queue recognized who you were and made sure to tell you a new joke each time? What if, since it knows you just bought a cheeseburger, it could make a joke about that? Specific to you.

What if the characters in the rides said your name, at appropriate times? What if the Navi knew things about you having visited their world before or something like that? The catch is that it can't be cheesy, but if done right, the whole ride and experience would be so much more personal.

Some of these ideas are big and some are small. Big things are certainly nice. But the small things (such as the Simpson's idea) that the guest may not even recognize are what will truly enhance the experience in unforeseen ways. I see infinte uses for this on rides or in their queues.

None of the StoryMaker stuff was working when I was there this past weekend when I was there.

That's unfortunate. Small world wasn't working? Hopefully it's back up and running, or it'll be back up and running soon.

I'll throw this in here now. Apparently, as @flyerjab said earlier, Joe Rohde said that the technology will only be used in one place, but in a very intimate way. I understand the limited use though, becuase the land was being designed right as MM+ was. Star Wars land, on the other hand, has no excuse to not make good use of this.

Storymaker excites me about as much as waiting 2 hours to get my picture with an underpaid UCF student in a Disney costume.

That's because it hasn't seen its full potential yet. Some time in the future, the day will come when nearly everyone on here sees that MM+ (or that same concept) is the future and is a good idea. I hope that day comes sooner rather than later.

MM+ has been a bumpy road, and the cracks in the pavement are noticable to everyone. What's hard to notice or remember is where that bumpy road is leading to. And the only way to possibly convince everyone that this was a good trip is to finally reach that glorious destination.

captainmoch

Think about TSMM. What if there were new things that you could shoot or even new "scenes" or "stages" you could opt to play depending on your high score or number of times ridden? What if there was a special birthday level? What if the Mr. Potato head animatronic in the queue could congratulate you on a high score? It would freshen the experience so much.

Think about The Simpsons's Ride at Universal. In the queue, there are some screens with simpsons characters on them telling jokes. Problem is, I hear the same jokes over and over. What if the queue recognized who you were and made sure to tell you a new joke each time? What if, since it knows you just bought a cheeseburger, it could make a joke about that? Specific to you.

What if the characters in the rides said your name, at appropriate times? What if the Navi knew things about you having visited their world before or something like that? The catch is that it can't be cheesy, but if done right, the whole ride and experience would be so much more personal.
I like your optimism pal... but I just can't see them doing any of those. Even if those are some pretty good ideas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom