AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

worldfanatic

This has been fun, but I've got to go get some things done.
If I hadn't come accross this thread and its hundred+ pages, I might be done by now.:ROFLOL:

I'm scared to think how long it'll be when I get home tonight at 7PM pacific.

I'm gonna guess.................ummmmmm..................148 pages.

Carry on.

The Mom

Premium Member
No, there have been longer ones. I'm not sure if it's had the most posts in 24 hours, though.

Sorry about the delete, but this is still a P-G 13 forum.

WDWmazprty

On a slightly different note is this the biggest thread to date on this forum? Just curious.:lol:

This has been fun, but I've got to go get some things done.
If I hadn't come accross this thread and its hundred+ pages, I might be done by now.:ROFLOL:

I'm scared to think how long it'll be when I get home tonight at 7PM pacific.

I'm gonna guess.................ummmmmm..................148 pages.

Carry on.

Yes. This thread is ........

picture.php

twinnstar

I'm a Star Wars Fanatic.
Saw it 11 times in the theatre in 1977.
And hundreds of times since.

But it all honesty, it's a pretty simple story.
In fact, the basic storyline was one of its criticisms back in the day, and a major reason Oscar voters gave Woody Allen's 'Annie Hall' the Best Picture Oscar over 'Star Wars' that year.
I'm not saying it was justified, obviously it wasn't.
But 'A New Hope' was hardly powerful storytelling.

Lucas got much deeper with the story in 'Empire Strikes Back'.(which surpisingly I only saw 6 times in theatre)
I'm hoping the 'Avatar' sequel follows this path.
Cameron showed with 'Titanic' that he knows how to weave a story.

My point is, it was the "World" created in Star Wars that made it so popular.
Just like Avatar.

I think you are misunderstanding me.

When I say "story" I do not mean that its some original draw dropping hair ripping out crazy story. I mean, that the story (the characters, the script, the "WORLD" as you put it...) that's the "story". AVATAR was a hit because of the CGI/Special Effects. The story just was not there, in many peoples opinions. It wasn't a well written film, it was too long, etc etc. I KNOW that has no bearing on the land, but this is what this argument has turned into. It went from me simply saying I didn't like Avatarland, and I didnt think it had the fan base...to now we're debating if the film is any good.

Thats where we are. I'm simply asking if we can agree to disagree.It's pretty clear that everyone who agrees with me has long left this thread, and I need to as well. Unfortunately I'm very bored at work and its hard to pull myself away :lol:

Map7711

Radiohead

I know you have a point-I just dont know what it is. How did this become the last 3 Star wars movies suck-when we are discussing the new Avatar attraction? We all know the last three werent very good. Who cares? We are talking about an Avatar ride. The last three movies did suck-that didnt change the fact that the Star Wars attraction is still pretty cool.

Prototype82

I was just thinking, hopefully they will build it so it can be easily de-Avatared into a more generic alien planet just in case the franchise doesn't pan out.
What would be the point of that? It doesn't mean people can't still enjoy it years from now if the name is still there.

Captain Chaos

You're kidding right?

People did fall in love with the atmosphere of Star Wars - but the story was there, the characters, etc. That's why its still a classic. Other people born after the 1977 awe factor of the film, STILL enjoy it because of the story. Thats why there is a huge fan base for decades. Avatar was 8,000 hours of boringness. It's not a classic yet for crying out loud, so stop treating it like it is one! In 30 years, its effects is gonna be no big deal, most likely. Will it still be a classic then? Who the hell knows! People on this board, who LOVE the Avatar land have already said they hated the movie. So lets stop arguing if the movie is good or not. Cause it wasnt a hit across the board, for everyone.

People can say they didn't like Avatar all they want... They are entitled to their opinions... The haters are the ones who think they are right... They are the ones trying to say because 5 people they know didn't like the movie and because they didn't like it themselves, that the movie was the worst movie ever and NO ONE liked it... I am not saying this is you, so please don't think I am lumping you into that category... You didn't like Avatar, that is fine... You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that... I'll disagree with the movie being bad, I think it is good.. But that is all subjective...

What isn't subjective however are facts.. and the facts seem to make the haters agruments wrong...

Avatar did 2.8 billion in theater business for the highest grossing movie of all time.. Want to adjust those figures, fine.. it comes in 14th... Would you say Harry Potter is extremely popular??? Sure, so would I... Where does Harry Potter rank on the total gross ADJUSTED list??? Number 67 with Sorcerer's Stone... Want to say more people saw Star Wars based on the adjusted figures?? Fine... then more people went to see Avatar than the top ADJUSTED grossing HP film...

Let's look at DVD sales for the last 5 years (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)... In 2007, POTC: At World's End was the top selling DVD at 13.7 units... In 2008 The Dark Knight topped the list with 10.9 million units sold... In 2009 it was Twilight with 10.2 million units... in 2011, It is currently Tangled 6.2 million units... Heck Deathly Hallows Part 1 has sold 5.9 million units in 2011 to date...

Question: are all these movie popular?? Yep... Each one of them did great theater business and sold a ton of DVDs... Why do people buy DVDs?? Cause they loved the movies, right??? Let's look at 2010 shall we?? Avatar led 2010 DVD sales with 10.1 million units sold... Hmmm interesting.

The haters want to continue the spin that no one liked Avatar, that the masses the Avatar... that this is a failure by Disney to include Avatar in their parks.. yet, Avatar has done more business in theaters as the movies above (adjusted it still tops The Dark Knight, Harry potter, Twilight, Tangled, and any of the Pirates movies).. Avatar has sold more DVDs then Deathly Hallows, than Tangled, a few units less than Twilight and Dark Knight, and 3 million less than Pirates.. Yet the haters still insist no one likes Avatar...

The fact that Avatar has done 2.8 billion in box office figures (yes, 3d and IMAX have to be included in total gross) and has sold over 10 million units of the DVD/Blu Ray proves it is pretty popular... If the masses hated the movie as much as the haters here want to believe (again, not accusing you of this), Avatar would have been a 1 week wonder, died a fast and painful death in the theaters, and would have never sold 10 million DVDs... Repeat business would have never been done and the movie would be long forgotten... As for the 3D and IMAX, well, Dark Knight came out in 3D and IMAX, Deathly Hallows Part 2 did as well... so, if we want to belittle the money made by Avatar due to the higher cost of 3D and IMAX tickets, then you must be fair and do the same to Dark Knight and Deathly Hallows Part 2(a movie which didn't last number 1 in the U.S. for more than 1 week, unlike Dark Knight and Avatar)... Can't have it one way for one movie and a different way for another...

The haters just need to say they didn't like the movie and that's it.. and stop trying to make it seem like everyone hated it when proof shows otherwise...

worldfanatic

Thats where we are. I'm simply asking if we can agree to disagree.It's pretty clear that everyone who agrees with me has long left this thread, and I need to as well. Unfortunately I'm very bored at work and its hard to pull myself away :lol:

It's all good Twinnstar, I enjoyed the discussion.
Wouldn't be fun if everybody agreed.

Adios!:animwink:

jeanericuser001

My guess is this will be a combination of several things. Honey I shrunk the kids style outdoor area, ET Adventure style que area for indoor, jurassic park style building construction to give the illusion of a long term structure, and the inclusion of several large plants so not everything seems artificial. The outdoor attractions will consist of a dumbo style spinner, a mini navi village, and an animatronic zoo. The indoor portion will probably be a simulator ride or maybe an indoor/outdoor coaster. Either way this should be decent enough for disney to rely on once fantasy land and harry potter start to fade from the interests of the general public.

RadioHead

When I say "story" I do not mean that its some original draw dropping hair ripping out crazy story. I mean, that the story (the characters, the script, the "WORLD" as you put it...) that's the "story". AVATAR was a hit because of the CGI/Special Effects. The story just was not there, in many peoples opinions. It wasn't a well written film, it was too long, etc etc. I KNOW that has no bearing on the land, but this is what this argument has turned into. It went from me simply saying I didn't like Avatarland, and I didnt think it had the fan base...to now we're debating if the film is any good.

No my friend Avatar was hit because of the beauty and grace of that of which was Pandora. The fact that nearly everything in the movie was CGI is incredible, and how surreal the world feels is just jaw dropping. The world of Pandora is like a beautiful Dali painting come to life. It's abstract, different, alien, yet so incredible. It's a world where you wish to abide in, and when a film can do that, then it's doing some very few films have done in the past century (ie Star Wars, LOTR, Finding Nemo, Cabbage Patch Kids).

Prototype82

I can't wait to see how they handle the floating islands...
Use steel reinforcing to make the islands protrude out of a wall of rockwork, have it over a body of water, have the pump system for a waterfall...I think as a backdrop, that could be convincing. If the ride building for Avatar's flagship attraction is huge(which I'd imagine it would be) it would be the perfect theming to disguise it.

RadioHead

My guess is this will be a combination of several things. Honey I shrunk the kids style outdoor area, ET Adventure style que area for indoor, jurassic park style building construction to give the illusion of a long term structure, and the inclusion of several large plants so not everything seems artificial. The outdoor attractions will consist of a dumbo style spinner, a mini navi village, and an animatronic zoo. The indoor portion will probably be a simulator ride or maybe an indoor/outdoor coaster. Either way this should be decent enough for disney to rely on once fantasy land and harry potter start to fade from the interests of the general public.

We also have to realize that this is coming 5-7 years from now. The technology in this land should be jaw dropping. I've thought of something, something a bit unpratical...

But I would love to see a fiberglass built dome around the Avatar land. It'll be naked to the eye. This way, during the night, they can include these type of projections upon the dome;

Avatar___Pandora__s_View_by_frey84.jpg

Avtaar2.jpg

Na'vi_Pandora_Jungle_Avatar_Movie_Beautiful_Night.jpg

twinnstar

No my friend Avatar was hit because of the beauty and grace of that of which was Pandora. The fact that nearly everything in the movie was CGI is incredible, and how surreal the world feels is just jaw dropping. The world of Pandora is like a beautiful Dali painting come to life. It's abstract, different, alien, yet so incredible. It's a world where you wish to abide in, and when a film can do that, then it's doing some very few films have done in the past century (ie Star Wars, LOTR, Finding Nemo, Cabbage Patch Kids).

Que sera, sera. I am of the school that beauty does not make a film, story does. Star Wars, LOTR, Finding Nemo (Cabbage Patch dolls? lol) all had the story* to back up the beauty.

*when i say "story" I mean everything you write on the paper - characters, plot, events, environment, etc...not what you 'see' on the screen

sublimesting

And let me throw this littlw tidbit out there:

People wanted to kill themselves because they could not live in Pandora and didn't know what they were going to do with themselves after the movie ended.

Think about that because it really opens up a whole new can of worms:

People loved this movie so much they wanted to die when it ended.
That's pretty popular if you ask me and shows that it will have a huge draw.
On the flip side, people wanted to kill themselves over a fake world that will now "exist". These people will be coming to WDW.
Folks, they may be like Brazilians....or worse. Some of these people may try to reside here.

It's the proverbial two edged sword but I think it really illustrates how big of an impact this film had and will continue to have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom