AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

RadioHead

Really? So how do you explain all those live action films that are popular?

Honestly dude, I'm done talking with you. I've politely asked you to drop it twice, and you have simply reverted to name calling, saying my posts are idiotic, yet "I'm" the hater. OK. Have fun with your Avatar love fest.

What? Did you even read what I said...

Grow a pair friend. :ROFLOL:

Captain Chaos

The proof of sales does not mean everyone liked it either. I contributed to the eighty-bajillion dollars Avatar made and I most certainly did not enjoy it. There are a number of people in this thread who agree with me. The door swings both ways. Just as I can't say everyone hated it, just by throwing numbers around you can't prove everyone loved it. Some people did, some people didn't.

It was a new spectacle when it was released, something folks hadn't really seen before. That level of surprise will be hard to duplicate when the sequels come out. Sure, they might be beautiful but they'll likely never be able to recreate the wonder of the first film. I do think Imagineering and the people from Cameron's side of the fence will be able to create something that transcends the films. But by the time that this area opens I imagine it will be the wonder of the theme park elements and not the film tie-in that will draw visitors in.

Avatar has made a ton of money, sure. But at this point in time it is impossible to judge its long term viability. Despite all of its potential, I still feel this is a shaky business decision in the long run. Nobody, however, supporter or detractor can say if this is going to be a success. We've seen no art and no announcements about content have been made. Heck, at this point the whole thing may end up scrapped. If the bean counters at TDO and Cameron come to an impasse on budget or the like, Avatar-land could become Hyperion Wharf 2.0.

So proof of sales does not mean people liked the movie?? Really?? So the 13 milllion units of At World's End should be ignored???

Re-read my post... I did not say EVERYONE loved it... I said, the numbers prove it is popular... HP is popular but not everyone likes or loves it.. Same for Star Wars... Same for all popular movies or franchises... You didn't like the movie, good for you... That does not mean Avatar is not popular... I hate Twilight, but I'd be foolish to say Twilight isn't popular... Box office numbers and DVD sales prove the popularity of Twilight... Just like box office numbers and DVD sales show millions of people LOVE Avatar...

WDWmazprty

And let me throw this littlw tidbit out there:

People wanted to kill themselves because they could not live in Pandora and didn't know what they were going to do with themselves after the movie ended.

Think about that because it really opens up a whole new can of worms:

People loved this movie so much they wanted to die when it ended.
That's pretty popular if you ask me and shows that it will have a huge draw.
On the flip side, people wanted to kill themselves over a fake world that will now "exist". These people will be coming to WDW.
Folks, they may be like Brazilians....or worse. Some of these people may try to reside here.

It's the proverbial two edged sword but I think it really illustrates how big of an impact this film had and will continue to have.

picture.php

-"So what time shall we camp out at Animal Kingdom to get in to Pandora?"

-"Maybe 2014, we'll have a good two or three year jump in line."

:ROFLOL:

WDWmazprty

So proof of sales does not mean people liked the movie?? Really?? So the 13 milllion units of At World's End should be ignored???

Re-read my post... I did not say EVERYONE loved it... I said, the numbers prove it is popular... HP is popular but not everyone likes or loves it.. Same for Star Wars... Same for all popular movies or franchises... You didn't like the movie, good for you... That does not mean Avatar is not popular... I hate Twilight, but I'd be foolish to say Twilight isn't popular... Box office numbers and DVD sales prove the popularity of Twilight... Just like box office numbers and DVD sales show millions of people LOVE Avatar...

win.

RadioHead

A couple fringe lunatics that are dilusional enough to not be able to separate the movies from reality isn't a serious problem... It's a statistical probability when you're dealing with likely close to a billion people seeing it.

It's probable those folks had a laundry list of issues before they watched the movie. I doubt they were rational before walking into the theatre.

It happens.

It's a real issue when lives are to be lost. They are lost souls, and not something to be some butt of a joke.

Again I'm requesting a mod to ban you for a while, and others who are making this a joking matter.

Crap like this should NOT be tolerated:mad:

baymenxpac

It truly is amazing to see the COMPLETE role reversal going on in these threads across the internet from years ago on Disney sites when Uni announced Potter.

Same exact conversations, just replace Avatar with Harry Potter, and switch people's stances along the Disney/Universal line.

Hilarious. Both should prepare their meals of crow.

i can see what you mean, but i do think people should be afforded the right to change their minds. that's why i don't get why anyone is ready to rush to judgment.

simply, WWOHP changed the game. it presents a totally encompassing experience with a state-of-the-art attraction tied into a movie series of epic proportions. honestly, when i first heard about it, i was ready to get my disney geek hat on and shoot it down instantly. but when i went and experienced it first hand this summer, i saw what the fuss was about. a few years back, i could see why people would be skeptical of a project like HP or avatar. but after seeing how effective it is when done properly, like it is at IOA, i don't get the reluctance from the naysayers. it's all in the execution.

allgar

I don't think that they EVER really invested a lot in Star Wars, I mean all there is is Star Tours, a gift shop and the Jedi Academy. If you take into consideration that Star Wars is the most profitable movies series ever, that's quite underwhelming.
But with Avatar-land coming (I haven't seen it yet) I believe chances for Star Wars expansion at DHS are dwindeling..

By investment I did simply mean that they have a "partnership" with those two major franchises. Star Wars, as pointed out, even has it's own weekends, and Indy has rides/attractions in numerous parks around the world. They wouldn't have gotten in bed with those franchises if they didn't feel it elevated their own franchise. Such is the deal with Avatar an investment (a gamble if you will) in the future of their parks.

RadioHead

http://blackmarketkidneys.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/kane-clapping.gif

MotherOfBirds

Jeez, calm down, man. Yes it's sad and unfortunate, but things like that happen everyday. Nobody was ridiculing a specific person, just pointing out the fact that they obviously had some serious mental and emotional issues and that it statistically happens with nearly every fandom. I'm sure it's happened with HP and Star Wars and LotR. Chill out.

MissMorrow

What would be the point of that? It doesn't mean people can't still enjoy it years from now if the name is still there.

The point is that if by some chance the next two films wind up being flops, which is always a possibility with sequels, Disney can remove the tie-ins to keep it fresh. Imagine walking around an entire land devoted to ET or Titanic, both successful films with good stories that I liked a lot, but I'd find them dated and cheesy today. But that's just me.

GLaDOS

i can see what you mean, but i do think people should be afforded the right to change their minds. that's why i don't get why anyone is ready to rush to judgment.

simply, WWOHP changed the game. it presents a totally encompassing experience with a state-of-the-art attraction tied into a movie series of epic proportions. honestly, when i first heard about it, i was ready to get my disney geek hat on and shoot it down instantly. but when i went and experienced it first hand this summer, i saw what the fuss was about. a few years back, i could see why people would be skeptical of a project like HP or avatar. but after seeing how effective it is when done properly, like it is at IOA, i don't get the reluctance from the naysayers. it's all in the execution.

Not what I'm talking about, really, although I'm glad you enjoyed Potter. I doubt most Disney fans would admit to doing that or even give it a shot.

I was more addressing the conversation of popularity/future viability of the franchises. People left and right were saying how Potter is a lash in the pan and won't last the test of time. Yet now that Disney is building a land based on a franchise that could very well be over by the time the land is completed, they are completely changing their tune. And on the other side, the Potter defenders are now using the same excuses/made up drivel Disney fans used against Potter.

It's so wonderfully hilarious.

Thessair

Re-read my post. I never said it wasn't popular, in fact way back in the thread I acknowledged it was very popular. What I said was that not everyone who saw the movie liked it. Period.

Yeah because that's definitely way it set a DVD sales record when it was released in April right...

Not everyone who saw the movie bought it on DVD. Fact. I've already said the movie was popular. The point I'm trying to make is that despite what some of the people in this thread seem to think, the final sales figures do not guarantee it is a beloved classic of a film. The majority of people may love the heck out of the film. That doesn't mean everyone does. So kindly stop acting like I kicked your dog.

Everyone does not like Avatar
Popular does not always equal good.

twinnstar

Not everyone who saw the movie bought it on DVD. Fact. I've already said the movie was popular. The point I'm trying to make is that despite what some of the people in this thread seem to think, the final sales figures do not guarantee it is a beloved classic of a film. The majority of people may love the heck out of the film. That doesn't mean everyone does. So kindly stop acting like I kicked your dog.

Everyone does not like Avatar
Popular does not always equal good.

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:
:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

baymenxpac

Not what I'm talking about, really, although I'm glad you enjoyed Potter. I doubt most Disney fans would admit to doing that or even give it a shot.

I was more addressing the conversation of popularity/future viability of the franchises. People left and right were saying how Potter is a lash in the pan and won't last the test of time. Yet now that Disney is building a land based on a franchise that could very well be over by the time the land is completed, they are completely changing their tune. And on the other side, the Potter defenders are now using the same excuses/made up drivel Disney fans used against Potter.

It's so wonderfully hilarious.

ah very true. not to mention that trying to forecast franchise popularity is pretty silly. it's most contingent upon marketing techniques and merchandising done decades after the movies even come out. something like say...the success of pottermore will probably have more to do with the franchise's future viability than the movies themselves. one could argue the same for the star wars action figure and toy boom that still, to this day, drives the popularity of the franchise more than most elements.

RadioHead

Jeez, calm down, man. Yes it's sad and unfortunate, but things like that happen everyday. Nobody was ridiculing a specific person, just pointing out the fact that they obviously had some serious mental and emotional issues and that it statistically happens with nearly every fandom. I'm sure it's happened with HP and Star Wars and LotR. Chill out.

Really not ridiculing?:mad:

Let's see what some said...

They walk among us.

Now I'm scared to watch it for the first time in case I feel like offing myself afterward

Future Darwin Award winners

I'm sure they just went back to Eywa at the Tree of Souls.

What's next? Making fun of cancer patients for being bald, or diabetic patients for being obese?

When someone suffers from severe depression, doesn't mean someone should poke fun of the people who were passionate.

disgusted I am. Ugh. Don't worry, this won't be TOLERATED AT ALL! Don't be surprised if some you are banned this time tomorrow. :mad::brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom