AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

SleepingMonk

I don't remember a massive response when the DVD came out.

It's actually the best selling DVD as well, close to $800 million now.

Only time will tell how much staying power it has.

Potter and Star Wars have huge fan bases, television, cartoons, books, merch, etc....

Avatar has none of that, and with such a long stretch between films it will be tough to keep the public on board.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
royal-blue-bluenose-kids-shirts_design.png

All the potential blue people will surely send Westof Scotland Mopes and holidaying Big Issue salesmen into a right old tizzy.

worldfanatic

I'm watching AVATAR on HBO ON DEMAND right now for the first time since seeing it in the theaters.
I must admit, I'm looking at it in a whole new light.

I'll bet there'll be a lot of us WDW fanatics doing the same thing over the next few days.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm watching AVATAR on HBO ON DEMAND right now for the first time since seeing it in the theaters.
I must admit, I'm looking at it in a whole new light.

I'll bet there'll be a lot of us WDW fanatics doing the same thing over the next few days.

LOL yep I bet there will be some unscheduled viewings taking place over the next few days.

dcibrando

Here is where Disney is going wrong:

Create a land based on mythical animals/creatures I think could be cool
Create a land based on a movie that did well mainly because it was the first 3d wow film...very bad idea. Now if they are going to create a section or attraction of a mythical land to be part of avatar then fine...but I don't believe persoanlly this is the best path to take on this designing a whole land from this....but I could be wrong..,I'm sure Disney will wow us with technology and affects but I just think they could expanded more off a mythical land more than a specific movie themed land

menamechris

They might not bomb (that would be great if they did though), but I'm betting they won't make anywhere near as much as the first.

Why would you want them to bomb? Because that would serve Disney right?

If anything the two will go hand in hand. With the ramping up of marketing from Disney over the next few years, it will only generate more excitement and popularity among the general public. People who otherwise wouldn't be interested will now check it out and become fans, and those who are already fans will commit themselves that much more to it knowing that they will be able to have a theme park experience in a few years.

sublimesting

I think the naysayers to this project are focusing too much on the storyline of the movie and the military/robotic aspect of it. More than likely that will not be a presence at all in the park. Instead we will be focusing on humans living on Pangea AFTER the military has been destroyed. It will focus on how we can live WITH the native life and ascimilate. It will focus on the environment, harmony, coexistance, nature and cnservation. Certainly there may be some exciting attractions featuring aspects of the story but really this just gives them an excuse to craft a beautiful world and really stretch the imagineering to the limits. I think people are going to say "Love or hate the movie you have got to get to Disney and see this thing!"

worldfanatic

Aside from the obvious and expected events, like the D23 Expo, I can't remember a WDWMagic thread exploding like this since the day of the Monorail accident and Austin's tragic death. :(
God bless him.

Am I forgetting another event?

In any case, whether you're happy about AVATAR or not, this is a much more positive thread explosion than that terrible day.:rolleyes:

WDWFREAK53

Here is where Disney is going wrong:

Create a land based on mythical animals/creatures I think could be cool
Create a land based on a movie that did well mainly because it was the first 3d wow film...very bad idea. Now if they are going to create a section or attraction of a mythical land to be part of avatar then fine...but I don't believe persoanlly this is the best path to take on this designing a whole land from this....but I could be wrong..,I'm sure Disney will wow us with technology and affects but I just think they could expanded more off a mythical land more than a specific movie themed land

Why do people keep saying that Avatar is the first 3D film? It's not. It was the first 3D film that was released on such a wide release with the 3D used to enhance the experience...not used as a gimmick. Nothing "flew" out at you...it was just used to make the environment more immersive.

I bought the Blu-Ray. Not the same experience...and not because there were "gags" that didn't work. Did I still enjoy the film? Yes...but not necessarily the story. It's a movie that I can put on and just have it going on in the background. It's visually stunning...almost like a screensaver.

The only other film that I can relate my experience to in this way would be the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The environments were so large and beautiful. (Yes, I do think the Lord of the Rings trilogy is a better "story").

WDWFREAK53

Aside from the obvious and expected events, like the D23 Expo, I can't remember a WDWMagic thread exploding like this since the day of the Monorail accident and Austin's tragic death. :(
God bless him.

Am I forgetting another event?

In any case, whether you're happy about AVATAR or not, this is a much more positive thread explosion than that terrible day.:rolleyes:

You weren't around when Ryan was here :(

:lol:

menamechris

Or they could check it out and think what a right load of old tosh.

Apparently most people did not do that, given the box office receipts. I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, but now I have a reason to revisit it with an open mind. I am sure many will do the same. For those who do not like Avatar, I am sure they will still flock to the new attractions....

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Apparently most people did not do that, given the box office receipts. I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, but now I have a reason to revisit it with an open mind. I am sure many will do the same. For those who do not like Avatar, I am sure they will still flock to the new attractions....

And thats the point, the attractions are what will make (or break) the area.

danpam1024

disney could easily squash most complaints about avatar in ak.....

Tie funds into this project that would :
Fix the yeti
put the adventurers club at the back of avland
ban strollers on wednesdays and saturdays
allow and encourage flash photography in avatar dark rides
start a whole campaign to convince people that the blue people are all monsters named sulley
ban all brazilian tour groups during peak season......

I'm just throwing these out as suggestions......
:roflol:

menamechris

And thats the point, the attractions are what will make (or break) the area.

Exactly. But meanwhile we have tons of people getting caught up in the details. It is a blanket theme that will bring people into a park that has trouble supporting itself with its operating costs. This will be HUGE, and will mean better additions and offerings at the resort as a whole if it proves successful...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom