AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

MrMorrowTom

It depends on what factors you use. When you include merchandising Star Wars becomes insanely profitable.

Yea i didn't factor merchandise strictly grossing, Which would definitely make a huge difference.

And I simply getting these numbers off Wiki, top six are
1 Harry Potter $7,701,994,850
2 James Bond $5,189,014,110
3 Star Wars $4,279,632,749
4 Pirates of the Caribbean $3,723,375,490
5 Shrek $2,955,807,005
6 The Lord of the Rings $2,945,626,609

1 Avatar $2,782,275,172

WDWFREAK53

weekend event designed around flogging memorabilia from Far East sweat shopsto the foil hat crowd is hardly the same thing

Well, it does bring in the crowds...and that's what it was designed for.
It's an event that is dedicated to Star Wars and the money that's allocated to it every year is just Disney pumping money into the parks based on the franchise.

I know what you're saying and I agree with you...but it is Disney utilizing the franchise in a profitable way.

WDWFREAK53

Yea i didn't factor merchandise strictly grossing, Which would definitely make a huge difference.

And I simply getting these numbers off Wiki, top six are
1 Harry Potter $7,701,994,850
2 James Bond $5,189,014,110
3 Star Wars $4,279,632,749
4 Pirates of the Caribbean $3,723,375,490
5 Shrek $2,955,807,005
6 The Lord of the Rings $2,945,626,609

1 Avatar $2,782,275,172

Break it down by numbers though...
Harry Potter: 8 films ($962,749,356.25/film)
James Bond: 22 films ($235,864,277.72/film)
Star Wars: 6 films ($713,272,483.33/film)
Pirates: 4 films ($930,843,872.50/film)
Shrek: 4 films ($738,951,751.25/film)
LotR: 3 films ($981,875,536.33/film)

This is strictly going by movie numbers...but James Bond is a lot further down the list than the others.

People that say that Avatar doesn't belong in the same group as those franchises are insane. Remember, Avatar didn't have a huge opening weekend. It was word of mouth that got the numbers up there. If it's such a horrible movie (or at least a horrible movie-going experience)...then people wouldn't have opened their wallets time and time again. It's not a fluke. A fluke is a huge opening weekend...which will die off quickly in the weekends that follow.

Buried20KLeague

We now have a single page resource for all the info, press releases, images etc so far http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/avatar.htm

Steve - Wouldn't it make sense to make a "sub-board" under news and rumors for this Avatar stuff just like you did for the FL expansion?

It's too hard to sort through WAYYYY over 1000 posts and climbing (in less than 24 hours) to try to follow all kinds of sub-conversations about types of rides, or transitions to the land, or placement, or whatever.

Opening a new board would let these topics separate themselves quickly and easily so that we could read and discuss the portions within the topic that we're interested in, rather than sift through TONS of comments and thoughts not related.

I had to skip about 40 pages in the middle of the thread just beacuse I don't have time to read it all and I'm sure others are the same way.

Not trying to tell you how to run your site... Just making a suggestion. :wave:

fosse76

Yes because the land based on the earth based myths have a lot of culture and history surrounding them, as opposed to this flash in the pan that became the highest grossing movie ever only because of the hype surrounding it (and beefed up 3d ticket prices) rather than being, you know, good.

I for one am deeply disappointed by this. Animal Kingdom was the most beautiful and thematically coherent of all 4 WDW parks, Avatar taking over the plot originally intended for Beastlie Kingdomme will destroy it forever in my eyes.

What I find rather telling is that when Harry Potter was announced, MANY members of this site denounced it as a fad that would fade in a few years, and that they were glad Disney wasn't investing hundreds of millions of dollars in something that would be irrelevant after it opened.

Yet Avatar, which has only one movie (with two potential sequels whose success is unknown) is automatically a great investment???? How is Avatar not a fad also, then? I don't know if Harry Potter will have lasting power. But I'll say this about Avatar, the other highest grossing films like E.T. and Jurassic Park have all but faded from the zeitgeist. Titanic, being tied into a historical event taught to millions of schoolchildren every year, is the only holder of the title that seems to at least keep some relevance (possibly because many of the non-disaster scenes were so cheesey they continue to be a source of endless joy for comedy writers). Harry Potter at least has a life beyond the movies. Even when the movies fade from pop culture, the books will still have a life. I just don't see how one is better than the other.

Personally, I hated Avatar, The story was trite and predictable. The only reason it made the money it did was the hype over the effects and the obscene higher cost of a movie ticket for 3D. If you walk around Universal, just take a look at the names of their attractions: Men In Black, Shrek, The Mummy, Twister, Jaws, Terminator 2...ALL were major hit movies. All have very good to great attractions. And save for Jaws and The Simpsons, not ONE of those properties is relevant today. Jurassic Park and E.T. were also at one time the highest grossing films of all time. Neither film is relevant today either.

Potter Swatter? Probably not. Universal's numbers will have stabilized by the time Avatar opens at DAK, and Avatar doesn't have anything close to the fanbase the Potter (or Star Wars) has. It will definitely improve DAKS attendance. But I don't think it will steal guests from Universal. It may actually cannibalize the other Disney parks though.

worldfanatic

I didn't care for 'AVATAR'. The story was lame.
But Pandora, as a World, was amazing.
And if they build a better story for the next two, the sky's the limit.

Some are claiming parts II and III might bomb?

This is a huge, huge positive for Disney and specifically Animal Kingdom.

I love the haters who claim they'll never set foot in any part of an 'AVATAR' themed attraction.

The fact that you're on these boards shows your interest in Walt Disney World, and you're not gonna enter this game changing World of Pandora.
Ummmm...yeah right.

Remember that when you slink into it five years from now.
You'll probably make up some excuse to go in, but rest assured, YOU'LL GO IN.

SleepingMonk

Potter is also not sitting still at Universal.

Expansion is already in the works and will no doubt be complete before the five year timeline set for Avatarville.

And Potter isn't the only new thing Universal is bringing to Florida.

Buried20KLeague

Break it down by numbers though...
Harry Potter: 8 films ($962,749,356.25/film)
James Bond: 22 films ($235,864,277.72/film)
Star Wars: 6 films ($713,272,483.33/film)
Pirates: 4 films ($930,843,872.50/film)
Shrek: 4 films ($738,951,751.25/film)
LotR: 3 films ($981,875,536.33/film)

This is strictly going by movie numbers...but James Bond is a lot further down the list than the others.

People that say that Avatar doesn't belong in the same group as those franchises are insane. Remember, Avatar didn't have a huge opening weekend. It was word of mouth that got the numbers up there. If it's such a horrible movie (or at least a horrible movie-going experience)...then people wouldn't have opened their wallets time and time again. It's not a fluke. A fluke is a huge opening weekend...which will die off quickly in the weekends that follow.

I haven't seen the movie, but I distinctly recall a strong opinion that the reason it did so good in the theatres wasn't the story... It was that it was visually stunning and incredible 3D.

Lots of my friends even told me if I didn't see it the way it was intended in the theatre, not to worry about it because it wasn't that great as a movie.

That's really why I haven't seen it to this day, honestly.

How many people here hold that opinion? I wonder if it's not quite a few. I also wonder if that didn't have an effect on the box office gross. I don't remember a massive response when the DVD came out.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Steve - Wouldn't it make sense to make a "sub-board" under news and rumors for this Avatar stuff just like you did for the FL expansion?

It's too hard to sort through WAYYYY over 1000 posts and climbing (in less than 24 hours) to try to follow all kinds of sub-conversations about types of rides, or transitions to the land, or placement, or whatever.

Opening a new board would let these topics separate themselves quickly and easily so that we could read and discuss the portions within the topic that we're interested in, rather than sift through TONS of comments and thoughts not related.

I had to skip about 40 pages in the middle of the thread just beacuse I don't have time to read it all and I'm sure others are the same way.

Not trying to tell you how to run your site... Just making a suggestion. :wave:

At the moment I don't think we have enough actual content to warrant an entire board. This project is over a year away from even breaking ground, and I expect the posts on this to rapidly fade away in the next few days. Once we get concept art, location info, attraction details etc, we'll have a dedicated board. :)

WDWFREAK53

I didn't care for 'AVATAR'. The story was lame.
But Pandora, as a World, was amazing.
And if they build a better story for the next two, the sky's the limit.

Some are claiming parts II and III might bomb?

This is a huge, huge positive for Disney and specifically Animal Kingdom.

I love the haters who claim they'll never set foot in any part of an 'AVATAR' themed attraction.

The fact that you're on these boards shows your interest in Walt Disney World, and you're not gonna enter this game changing World of Pandora.
Ummmm...yeah right.

Remember that when you slink into it five years from now.
You'll probably make up some excuse to go in, but rest assured, YOU'LL GO IN.

Especially if there are breathtaking vistas, floating islands, giant waterfalls, and the entire land is basically a phenomenal light show.

Yeah...let's avoid that at all costs! LOL.

I never understood the "I'm boycotting that without trying it" crowd. How do you know if you enjoy it or not if you've never experienced it? I don't like sushi...but I've tried it many times. I couldn't just say, "No, I hate sushi" if I have never experienced it.

It could bomb...but it could be absolutely amazing. Only time will tell.

Buried20KLeague

At the moment I don't think we have enough actual content to warrant an entire board. This project is over a year away from even breaking ground, and I expect the posts on this to rapidly fade away in the next few days. Once we get concept art, location info, attraction details etc, we'll have a dedicated board. :)

Fair enough.

Buried20KLeague

Especially if there are breathtaking vistas, floating islands, giant waterfalls, and the entire land is basically a phenomenal light show.

Yeah...let's avoid that at all costs! LOL.

I never understood the "I'm boycotting that without trying it" crowd. How do you know if you enjoy it or not if you've never experienced it? I don't like sushi...but I've tried it many times. I couldn't just say, "No, I hate sushi" if I have never experienced it.

It could bomb...but it could be absolutely amazing. Only time will tell.

I hope they can keep them working. :lookaroun

Festivus

If I'm not mistaken, the highest grossing "film" of all time is still Gone With The Wind if you adjust for inflation. The highest grossing "film series" is Star Wars if you also adjust for inflation. I could be wrong, but I think that is correct.

Now that Avatar is on board, I would love to see DHS get LOTR. But that's wishful thinking...

WDWFREAK53

I haven't seen the movie, but I distinctly recall a strong opinion that the reason it did so good in the theatres wasn't the story... It was that it was visually stunning and incredible 3D.

Lots of my friends even told me if I didn't see it the way it was intended in the theatre, not to worry about it because it wasn't that great as a movie.

That's really why I haven't seen it to this day, honestly.

How many people here hold that opinion? I wonder if it's not quite a few. I also wonder if that didn't have an effect on the box office gross. I don't remember a massive response when the DVD came out.

I'll be honest, I loved the experience but didn't "love" the movie. I thought it was a little long and overdone.

That being said, I saw it in the theaters 3 times. Why? Because it was visually stunning and beautiful and I WANTED TO BE THERE!

Now I just may get that opportunity :)

Scuttle

Potter is also not sitting still at Universal.

Expansion is already in the works and will no doubt be complete before the five year timeline set for Avatarville.

And Potter isn't the only new thing Universal is bringing to Florida.

Yep. The Universal/Disney war is the most intense it's been since universal opened. I love what the competition is creating.

worldfanatic

Yep. The Universal/Disney war is the most intense it's been since universal opened. I love what the competition is creating.

Exactly, there's absolutely no way Disney spends the massive amount of $$$ (I'm assuming it's HUGE) to get 'AVATAR' rights if not for Universal.

SosoDude

Disney could easily squash most complaints about Avatar in AK.....

Tie funds into this project that would :
Fix the yeti
Put the Adventurers Club at the back of Avland
Ban strollers on Wednesdays and Saturdays
Allow and encourage flash photography in avatar dark rides
Start a whole campaign to convince people that the blue people are all monsters named Sulley
Ban all Brazilian tour groups during peak season......

I'm just throwing these out as suggestions......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom