AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

twebber55

People went to see it, does that mean the same amount of people will turn out for the sequels or for a theme park attraction? Avatar attracted an audience, did it build a loyal and devoted fanbase like Star Wars and Harry Potter have?
probably or maybe not but neither did cars and cars land is a huge success

WDWFREAK53

There was no "wait and see" with Star Wars though, it became a popular culture phenomenon in 1977 and has remained that way ever since. Harry Potter was a phenomenon before the films were made. With all the hype surrounding Avatar and it supposedly heralding a new dawn of cinema, why did it not attract that fanbase straight away like Star Wars did?

I agree about the technology. Call me old-fashioned but I go to see a film for the story and characters, not fancy special-effects; they should supplement the former, not overshadow them and be what the film is marketed on.

Star Wars became a cultural phenomenon because of its timing. If the original films were released for the first time today, they would just be another "summer popcorn flick" but very good ones. On top of that, the technology really drove it also, because at the time, special effects like that were never seen.

Harry Potter was big because of the books... The movies helped bring it to a wider audience but the books created the fan base. The films didn't make it.

I agree with you about the story and characters coming first and the technology/special effects should compliment them. I do believe that Avatar did that. The 3D wasn't "in your face" but it really enhanced the main character of the film, "Pandora." The story isn't mindblowing or new...but it wasn't a horrible movie and the special-effects enhanced it, not overpowered it. (Much like in Terminator 2...the "liquid metal" didn't take away from the film, it helped it.)

Sue_Vongello

For the record I called Avatar lazy, etc ... comparing it to Cameron's own filmography.

Terminator(s), Aliens, True Lies et al ... which clearly Avatar is a step down from those on terms of story, characters, writing.

twebber55

My feeling is "No" but it's something that is a "wait and see" type of thing.
Technology changes so fast...and Avatar was new and different due to the technology. When that same technology becomes "common" does the appeal for the actual film remain?

(Unless, James Cameron "does it again")
i do think the strong environmental themes appeal to the masses as well as the pure eye candy/aesthetics of the actual movie (floating mountains bioluminescence flora and fauna)

FrankLapidus

probably or maybe not but neither did cars and cars land is a huge success

Cars is huge, not on a Star Wars level but it has been massively successful and it's a Disney property. It hasn't been brought in from the outside, it was created in-house and has made the company hundreds of millions of dollars in box-office revenue and merchandise so it's success in the parks is not surprising.

twebber55

Cars is huge, not on a Star Wars level but it has been massively successful and it's a Disney property. It hasn't been brought in from the outside, it was created in-house and has made the company hundreds of millions of dollars in box-office revenue and merchandise so it's success in the parks is not surprising.
i agree.. do you not think avatar could make even more money than cars?

FigmentJedi

While I see where you are coming from, I disagree the widespread appeal of it.
I do agree with your ideas about fitting it into DAK, but I just don't see many people "getting it."

Avatar was seen by millions...of people worldwide...whereas Pokemon really has a specific group that are interested in it (albeit a large number of fans in that specific group).
Pokemon's a multibillion dollar earning franchise that's been around for about 17 years and still remains incredibly popular. Besides the fans it's gained in the later releases, you also have the even more significant groups of people nostalgic for the days of the original generations.

Aside from weirdos that paint themselves blue pretending to be Na'vi and feeling suicidal because they can't live on the Smurf Moon, you don't really hear much about Avatar's fans. After becoming the top cat at the box office, it ended up inspiring more snark then admiration

twebber55

another thing.... Cars is probably the 5th best pixar film so why build an entire land for it and ONLY a ride for Toy Story (clearly better) and nothing for the incredibles...probably because cars land setting is a gerat setting for a theme park (again aesthetics and eye candy)

just my opinion

twebber55

Pokemon's a multibillion dollar earning franchise that's been around for about 17 years and still remains incredibly popular. Besides the fans it's gained in the later releases, you also have the even more significant groups of people nostalgic for the days of the original generations.

Aside from weirdos that paint themselves blue pretending to be Na'vi and feeling suicidal because they can't live on the Smurf Moon, you don't really hear much about Avatar's fans. After becoming the top cat at the box office, it ended up inspiring more snark then admiration
did you realize two movies recently compared themselves to avatar..i thought that was interesting

FrankLapidus

Star Wars became a cultural phenomenon because of its timing. If the original films were released for the first time today, they would just be another "summer popcorn flick" but very good ones. On top of that, the technology really drove it also, because at the time, special effects like that were never seen.

But going on 40 years later is it still incredibly popular around the world? It might have been a matter of timing but time has not diluted it's popularity or position as the biggest film franchise in the world. In my opinion film franchises have that "it" factor from the very beginning and don't need time or sequels which is why I don't agree with the "wait and see" approach to Avatar. But that's just my opinion.

Harry Potter was big because of the books... The movies helped bring it to a wider audience but the books created the fan base. The films didn't make it.

Which is what I said, Harry Potter was a phenomenon before the films were made.

twebber55

But going on 40 years later is it still incredibly popular around the world? It might have been a matter of timing but time has not diluted it's popularity or position as the biggest film franchise in the world. In my opinion film franchises have that "it" factor from the very beginning and don't need time or sequels which is why I don't agree with the "wait and see" approach to Avatar. But that's just my opinion.

Which is what I said, Harry Potter was a phenomenon before the films were made.
star wars is maybe the best franchise of all time yet the ride at DHS is the 4th most popular attraction so quality to me is more important than IP..again just my opinion

FrankLapidus

another thing.... Cars is probably the 5th best pixar film so why build an entire land for it and ONLY a ride for Toy Story (clearly better) and nothing for the incredibles...probably because cars land setting is a gerat setting for a theme park (again aesthetics and eye candy)

just my opinion

Because it's a merchandise juggernaut. It came out in June 2006, I can remember Bog Iger saying around Christmas 2006 that the company had sold around a billion dollars of merchandise. I won't argue Cars isn't Pixar's best film, it wouldn't be in my top 5, but it's been making Disney serious money for years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom