AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

twebber55

Because it's a merchandise juggernaut. It came out in June 2006, I can remember Bog Iger saying around Christmas 2006 that the company had sold around a billion dollars of merchandise. I won't argue Cars isn't Pixar's best film, it wouldn't be in my top 5, but it's been making Disney serious money for years.
certainly one of the reasons good point but tons of people go there for other things besides merchandise...its not just kids...

FrankLapidus

star wars is maybe the best franchise of all time yet the ride at DHS is the 4th most popular attraction so quality to me is more important than IP..again just my opinion

Build a Star Wars land and how popular do you think it would be? How much merchandise do you think they could sell? In a park with rides like Tower of Terror and R&R Coaster I wouldn't expect a simulator to be the top DHS draw. Build a genuine Star Wars E-Ticket and it's a different story.

Anyway I feel like I'm repeating things I've said here before and I don't want to derail the thread so I'm going to bow out and let you get back to discussing Avatarland rather than continue Franchise Wars.

twebber55

Build a Star Wars land and how popular do you think it would be? How much merchandise do you think they could sell? In a park with rides like Tower of Terror and R&R Coaster I wouldn't expect a simulator to be the top DHS draw. Build a genuine Star Wars E-Ticket and it's a different story.

Anyway I feel like I'm repeating things I've said here before and I don't want to derail the thread so I'm going to bow out and let you get back to discussing Avatarland rather than continue Franchise Wars.
thanks me too.....

Cody5242

Star Tours is a quality attraction that has a high capacity rate which helps keep wait times low. Maybe not a lot of people know they reimagined the ride?

FrankLapidus

certainly one of the reasons good point but tons of people go there for other things besides merchandise...its not just kids...

I never said it was. What it is is a land based on a Disney-created and owned property, the type of thing I'd like to see a lot more of in Disney theme parks. I'd happily take more Disney and Pixar properties over Avatar and Star Wars.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Cars is huge, not on a Star Wars level but it has been massively successful and it's a Disney property. It hasn't been brought in from the outside, it was created in-house and has made the company hundreds of millions of dollars in box-office revenue and merchandise so it's success in the parks is not surprising.

The Lion King was a surprising hit for Disney. It's generated millions of dollars. It's a favorite movie for millions of kids and adults (myself included!), and the theming would fit perfectly in DAK. So why reach out of already owned property to something that is little more than eye candy?

I've asked this before, but it just needs to be brought up again. Has anyone actually seen Avatar? Do you remember the plot line? How on earth are they going to put a happy, positive "Disney" spin on that?

With all the animal characters and animal based movies Disney already owns, why Avatar? And if Avatar, ok... but why DAK?

:(

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The Lion King was a surprising hit for Disney. It's generated millions of dollars. It's a favorite movie for millions of kids and adults (myself included!), and the theming would fit perfectly in DAK. So why reach out of already owned property to something that is little more than eye candy?

I've asked this before, but it just needs to be brought up again. Has anyone actually seen Avatar? Do you remember the plot line? How on earth are they going to put a happy, positive "Disney" spin on that?

With all the animal characters and animal based movies Disney already owns, why Avatar? And if Avatar, ok... but why DAK?

:(

Maybe the thinking is that if they build a land based on a Disney franchise they will primarily attract Disney fans, who are the ones who are already coming to the park. They may think that Avatar can attract a new group of guests who aren't already coming. Now whether is actually will or not, that is a totally different discussion.

WDWFREAK53

But going on 40 years later is it still incredibly popular around the world? It might have been a matter of timing but time has not diluted it's popularity or position as the biggest film franchise in the world. In my opinion film franchises have that "it" factor from the very beginning and don't need time or sequels which is why I don't agree with the "wait and see" approach to Avatar. But that's just my opinion.

Which is what I said, Harry Potter was a phenomenon before the films were made.

Yes, 40 years later it is huge. What I'm saying is that if Star Wars was released in 2013...we would not be talking about it in 2053.

Timing was everything. Why is it still going strong? Partly due to nostalgia. When people saw it in the theaters and went nuts for it, it stuck with them...and they, in turn, turned their children onto it. On top of that, the merchandising. Back when it was released, people just HAD to have the toys...and, much like the films, those same people that turned their kids onto the movies also wanted to play with the new toys with their kids.

What made Star Wars great? Acting? NO! Dialogue? NO! Special-effects? Huge factor. Unique characters? Yes. Story? Eh. How about the fact that it was completely different from anything else people had seen? Yep.

Now look at the prequels... Acting? Heck no! Dialogue? Laughable. Special-effects...we have seen it all before. Unique characters? Basically the same characters we fell in love with. Story? It's really all one story.

Flip the script...if Avatar was shown 40 years ago, I have a feeling we'd be talking about Avatar (due to the fact that NOBODY would've seen anything like it before.) (Am I saying that Avatar is as popular as Star Wars? Nope...not even close...but they really aren't that comparable either).

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Pokemon's a multibillion dollar earning franchise that's been around for about 17 years and still remains incredibly popular. Besides the fans it's gained in the later releases, you also have the even more significant groups of people nostalgic for the days of the original generations.

Aside from weirdos that paint themselves blue pretending to be Na'vi and feeling suicidal because they can't live on the Smurf Moon, you don't really hear much about Avatar's fans. After becoming the top cat at the box office, it ended up inspiring more snark then admiration

Pokemon won't work at all. People out grow it. Everyone who was an adult when it came out has no affinity for it at all.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

They should expand the SW presence in the Studios. The fact they have people answer survey questions about the franchise shows the current timidity that permeates the corporation.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
star wars is maybe the best franchise of all time yet the ride at DHS is the 4th most popular attraction so quality to me is more important than IP..again just my opinion

Correct. As I said earlier, ip is only important if you don't have enough people coming through the front door in the first place and no Disney park is in that position yet. Heck, I bet they could even get people to come take a gander at bathrooms themed after a halfway decent kiddie movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom