AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

FrankLapidus

Flip the script...if Avatar was shown 40 years ago, I have a feeling we'd be talking about Avatar (due to the fact that NOBODY would've seen anything like it before.) (Am I saying that Avatar is as popular as Star Wars? Nope...not even close...but they really aren't that comparable either).

That's kind of venturing into hypothetical territory. There isn't really a way of knowing that for certain but regardless the Avatar vs Star Wars/Harry Potter/LOTR/every other franchise debate has been done to death and I don't want to end up repeating things I said months ago and boring people. You make some good points though, ultimately there's probably no right or wrong answer on this just yet and we're just going to have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Maybe I'm just biased, I've been against Avatarland from the start and nothing will change my opinion on it so I don't want this to end up with you feeling like you hitting your head against a brick wall :p.

magicallactose

Ever since Avatar, a sci fi film got nominated every year:

2010: Inception
2011: Hugo
2012: Life of Pi

This year Gravity looks like a big contendor.

I just had to point out that neither Life of Pi or Hugo are sci fi films.

Also, Avatar garnered a best picture nomination at the 82nd Academy Awards. This was the year the Academy decided to increase the number of of best picture nominees from five (which had been the norm for the preceding sixty years) to ten. The Academy reportedly did this so that traditionally non-represented (and more populist) genres of movie could now be included (animated, sci-fi, horror, comedy, children's). This (arguably) is why Avatar received a nomination. I'm not trying to get into a debate about the merits of the movie itself, just pointing out that the Academy members tend to be quite conservative and usually do not elect best picture nominees that stray from the norm (Beauty and the Beast is a huge exception).

Movies like Inception (sci-fi) and Hugo (children's) have received best picture nominations in recent years because of the increased nomination count, not because of any precedent set by Avatar or Up or District 9, which were all vying for best picture in that same year.

WDWFREAK53

That's kind of venturing into hypothetical territory. There isn't really a way of knowing that for certain but regardless the Avatar vs Star Wars/Harry Potter/LOTR/every other franchise debate has been done to death and I don't want to end up repeating things I said months ago and boring people. You make some good points though, ultimately there's probably no right or wrong answer on this just yet and we're just going to have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Maybe I'm just biased, I've been against Avatarland from the start and nothing will change my opinion on it so I don't want this to end up with you feeling like you hitting your head against a brick wall :p.

I hear ya bud. :)

I'm not a huge fan of Avatar going into DAK but I'm not overly opposed to the idea either. I see how it can fit nicely and hopefully, if/when it does get built, it'll be done right and prove how much it belongs in DAK.

Cody5242

The Lion King was a surprising hit for Disney. It's generated millions of dollars. It's a favorite movie for millions of kids and adults (myself included!), and the theming would fit perfectly in DAK. So why reach out of already owned property to something that is little more than eye candy?

I've asked this before, but it just needs to be brought up again. Has anyone actually seen Avatar? Do you remember the plot line? How on earth are they going to put a happy, positive "Disney" spin on that?

With all the animal characters and animal based movies Disney already owns, why Avatar? And if Avatar, ok... but why DAK?

:(
Actually a lot of people have seen Avatar. It's #2 film of all time and believe it or not a lot of people like it. The teen/young adult crowd loved it

Soarin' Over Pgh

Actually a lot of people have seen Avatar. It's #2 film of all time and believe it or not a lot of people like it. The teen/young adult crowd loved it

Right... I get that. I saw it too ;) But the plot isn't that solid- again... who can remember what it was actually about?

I hope, if nothing else but for Disney's sake, that its sequel doesnt tank.

ThemeParks4Life

That's such an interesting statement, I don't even know my own feelings about that. Great, great, great movie, but very un-Disney like.

Same can be said about Alien.

I just had to point out that neither Life of Pi or Hugo are sci fi films.

Also, Avatar garnered a best picture nomination at the 82nd Academy Awards. This was the year the Academy decided to increase the number of of best picture nominees from five (which had been the norm for the preceding sixty years) to ten. The Academy reportedly did this so that traditionally non-represented (and more populist) genres of movie could now be included (animated, sci-fi, horror, comedy, children's). This (arguably) is why Avatar received a nomination. I'm not trying to get into a debate about the merits of the movie itself, just pointing out that the Academy members tend to be quite conservative and usually do not elect best picture nominees that stray from the norm (Beauty and the Beast is a huge exception).

Movies like Inception (sci-fi) and Hugo (children's) have received best picture nominations in recent years because of the increased nomination count, not because of any precedent set by Avatar or Up or District 9, which were all vying for best picture in that same year.

Yah, I should have rephrased it to CGI Heavy films. But James Cameron, Martin Scorsese, and Ang Lee got directing nominations (and a win for Ang).

ctxak98

The Lion King was a surprising hit for Disney. It's generated millions of dollars. It's a favorite movie for millions of kids and adults (myself included!), and the theming would fit perfectly in DAK. So why reach out of already owned property to something that is little more than eye candy?

I've asked this before, but it just needs to be brought up again. Has anyone actually seen Avatar? Do you remember the plot line? How on earth are they going to put a happy, positive "Disney" spin on that?

With all the animal characters and animal based movies Disney already owns, why Avatar? And if Avatar, ok... but why DAK?

:(
Why not DAK!? I think you hit something here that bothers me with most discussions about this topic. How do we make it Happy Disney Spin on it!? Well without the whole "humans destroying the planet thing" the movie is fine! and not hard for kids to watch. Its a beautiful made up world that IMO would be amazing to venture into. I don't get why Disney has to make everything "happy".

If Disney doesn't start appealing to the teens age category I have fear that Universal will be the big man on campus in the future. This generation is more about the action movies and age limits on movies with more violence are lowering. Disney just doesn't appeal to everyone anymore and there movies cant compete with huge blockbusters that UNiversal has to work with! I just still don't see a competition between Pixar and Harry Potter. Harry Potter will win! too many die Hard fans.

I know Avatar isn't the best franchise to work with and while I think they should be using Star Wars now to the max to gain popularity back, they wont. I think Avatar will bring people in and draw the attention to AK and really surprise people by the unique beauty It will hold. Lets face it....If Disney Does get to do avatar land and they have to recreate Pandora...they can do it ad it will be gorgeous. The only problem I have with this project is if they cheap out on the Iand and half a** it! Then I would rather them just not do it because It would be a disgrace to the film!

FigmentJedi

Yeah, a couple nights ago there was a commercial for The Croods, calling it "The animated Avatar!"
Felt more like Avatar the Last Airbender to me with all the mashup animals like the bearowl, sea turtlebird, crocodogs, giraffe mammoths, landwhales and pirahna birds. I think the reviewers gave it the Avatar description because "ME LIKE LARGE PRETTY COLORFUL CG PLANTS" more then any other reason.

That said, it was a pretty awesome movie and easily the best use of Cage in an animated film as you got so much of his mannerisms and "Let's just let Cage go crazy in front of a camera/microphone" in Grug.

RyenDeckard

This has been discussed to death, and to be frank Avatar doesn't have the same popular culture impact the Harry Potter, Star Wars, or even Star Trek have had. There's no references made to Avatar, no memories of the story line, the only thing that was memorable about that movie is it had great CGI and bought 3D movies out into the mainstream (for better or worse).

Nobody CARES about avatar, even if it "sold" incredibly well, it was there and now it's gone.

misterID

This has been discussed to death, and to be frank Avatar doesn't have the same popular culture impact the Harry Potter, Star Wars, or even Star Trek have had. There's no references made to Avatar, no memories of the story line, the only thing that was memorable about that movie is it had great CGI and bought 3D movies out into the mainstream (for better or worse).

Nobody CARES about avatar, even if it "sold" incredibly well, it was there and now it's gone.

That's your opinion, not fact. And more wishful thinking at that. You won't know it's real impact as a lasting franchise until... You know, the second and third films are actually released, much like every other "franchise" you mentioned. As of right now, it's one of the most popular and profitable single films of all time. And it wasn't released all that long ago. This reminds me EXACTLY of what was said about Harry Potter from the moment WWOHP was announced to a few hours after it opened, when same said people on this very board were trying to convince everyone the mile long lines for the land wasn't real, or didn't mean anything. It also reminds me of the people (on this very board) who tried to convince everyone that The Avengers would bomb and make LESS than Iron Man 2. A few of us knew better, just like this subject. ;)

I'm srry, the last part of your post is incredbly ridiculous. And laughable. Which I did. Thank you, I needed a good laugh.

dcibrando

COMPLETELY agree with you here... just take a look at avatar merchandise... oh wait :) ...and there's your sign

RSoxNo1

That's your opinion, not fact. And more wishful thinking at that. You won't know it's real impact as a lasting franchise until... You know, the second and third films are actually released, much like every other "franchise" you mentioned. As of right now, it's one of the most popular and profitable single films of all time. And it wasn't released all that long ago. This reminds me EXACTLY of what was said about Harry Potter from the moment WWOHP was announced to a few hours after it opened, when same said people on this very board were trying to convince everyone the mile long lines for the land wasn't real, or didn't mean anything. It also reminds me of the people (on this very board) who tried to convince everyone that The Avengers would bomb and make LESS than Iron Man 2. A few of us knew better, just like this subject. ;)

I'm sorry, the last part of your post is incredbly ridiculous. And laughable. Which I did. Thank you, I needed a good laugh.
A big component of this is merchandise sales. Yes, it's very possible that the 2nd and 3rd movies turn this around, and this is a rare instant of Disney getting on the bandwagon before something exploded, but right now it doesn't seem to be the case. A simple search of walmart.com yields the following:
Searches:
"Star Wars": 1071 results
"Harry Potter": 353 results
"Iron Man": 271 results
"Avatar": 111 results (many of which are Avatar the Last Air Bender)

JungleTrekFan

Yeah, a couple nights ago there was a commercial for The Croods, calling it "The animated Avatar!"
… Avatar is animated though … like almost all of it was done by animators on a computer. I don’t get people lol.

COMPLETELY agree with you here... just take a look at avatar merchandise... oh wait :) ...and there's your sign
Then again you could do the same with any attraction at Disney. Not everything is built to sell merchandise.

With the Walmart search reference Monster Inc has 53, Haunted Mansion has 53, all but 5 being random movies that are not related at all to the Haunted mansion, Muppets has 102, Little mermaid 62. But then again Pirates of the Caribbean had over 5,900 which beats Star Wars (sorry guys)
I think we’ve learned that Walmart is not really a great source for data, or that Disney needs to build an entirely new Disney World based solely on Pirates of the Caribbean. Its definitely one of the two.

RyenDeckard

I'm srry, the last part of your post is incredbly ridiculous. And laughable. Which I did. Thank you, I needed a good laugh.

You are trying so incredibly hard to justify this decision that you're blinded to actual popular culture. I've posted this before, but look online. Look at Reddit, web forums, etc. People still reference Harry Potter, Star Wars, Back to the Future, Transformers, Indiana Jones, and Misc. Disney Movies. People don't reference or talk about Avatar unless it's "BLUE CATS WHOAAAA" and that's about it.

Avatar hasn't had a long last effect on the popular culture of America or the English speaking World. If you think it has, you haven't been paying attention to anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom