AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Bryner84

When looking at the long term I think the quality of the attraction becomes more important then the IP. This example comes up a lot but look at Splash Mountain. Song of the South has almost zero relevance today and I bet most people who ride it haven't seen the movie or even know it exists, yet it remains a popular ride.

Yes, there other things that would be as good or maybe even better in AK then Avatar, but I don't see a problem with choosing Avatar.
Yes I think we talked about this in another thread. I say that Splash works BECAUSE SotS is largely unknown, not in spite of that. Disney was able to capitalize on existing characters and exploit them in a new way to reintroduce them to a new audience without having to spend any money or time developing new characters...it was merely a design jumpstart. There are no preconceived notions of the Splash characters before riding. It is almost the same as developing original characters for a specific attraction. Avatar is widely known, which makes it more divisive, as can be seen by this thread.

twebber55

A Star Wars land would be bigger – much bigger if done correctly. It is the only thing that could top Potter though.
star wars would be good i agree but its also an old franchise and 3 at best decent prequels...i would wait to see the new star wars movies before adding them to the parks...i can guarantee my 13 son and 9 year old daughter cares more about HP and LOTR than Star Wars.... note im not ripping on star wars, in fact i like the idea but not at DAK, besides they already dedicate a month of the year to star wars

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Well, we can talk about whether or not Avatar would fit at DAK until we're blue in the face, but I seriously doubt that bigwigs with artistic protests are holding the process up. In my gut, I feel like this is just another example of Disney not putting the forth the money and effort to make WDW the leader of the theme park industry again. It is really hard for me to believe that 2 or 3 good rides, plants that glow at night, and banshees flying around would not be a hit for Disney and probably help with interest in the franchise if they magically opened before all the movies were made. They're just not going to do it. They won't do Star Wars, the won't add a big E-ticket to MK even though its been roughly 20 years, they won't spend money on maintenance, they won't fix the Yeti, they won't even put up Christmas decorations in EPCOT any more. My guess is that they're hoping everyone forgets about this. I'm sure TDO is already trying to figure out how much quality they can skim off of Cars Land, provided they don't have a creative way to kill it.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I should also note that WDW has been part of my life since I first set foot in MK as a 3-year old in 1972 and I really, really hope I'm wrong and overly pessimistic.

Todd H

Well, we can talk about whether or not Avatar would fit at DAK until we're blue in the face, but I seriously doubt that bigwigs with artistic protests are holding the process up. In my gut, I feel like this is just another example of Disney not putting the forth the money and effort to make WDW the leader of the theme park industry again. It is really hard for me to believe that 2 or 3 good rides, plants that glow at night, and banshees flying around would not be a hit for Disney and probably help with interest in the franchise if they magically opened before all the movies were made. They're just not going to do it. They won't do Star Wars, the won't add a big E-ticket to MK even though its been roughly 20 years, they won't spend money on maintenance, they won't fix the Yeti, they won't even put up Christmas decorations in EPCOT any more. My guess is that they're hoping everyone forgets about this. I'm sure TDO is already trying to figure out how much quality they can skim off of Cars Land, provided they don't have a creative way to kill it.

I agree, and I'm not confident that they will be building any new rides after SWMT in the foreseeable future. I think they are going to just concentrate on the guests they have coming now and try to milk them for all they are worth (can you say MM+?). Meanwhile that little park up on I4 is steadily building one quality attraction after another.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For clarification, the simulator attraction that was put out there was defined on documents as an E-ticket, and the boat ride was a C-ticket. My understanding was that there was an additional attraction that would have also been an E-ticket (presumably the Motorbike coaster).
Lord, if that's an E we are in serious trouble.

More like a D+ like Mermaid. Yes, the thrill ride was the E.

doctornick

Soarin' is NOT an E-Ticket. It's a movie with very minimal movements.
There is nothing "intricate" about it.

To be fair, the proposed Soarin' type ride for Avatar is a modified version -- the plans seem to indicate that the seats would have more significant movement (up/down and side to side, etc) and have a 3D film. It's possible that the "4D" effects might be different/improved as well.

I'm not saying it would be an "E-ticket" but it sounds like something more impressive than Soarin' (which is popular in its own right).

WDWFREAK53

To be fair, the proposed Soarin' type ride for Avatar is a modified version -- the plans seem to indicate that the seats would have more significant movement (up/down and side to side, etc) and have a 3D film. It's possible that the "4D" effects might be different/improved as well.

I'm not saying it would be an "E-ticket" but it sounds like something more impressive than Soarin' (which is popular in its own right).

Popular yes. Enjoyable yes. E-Ticket...notsomuch.
Maybe I just put my E-tickets on a higher scale.

I don't need my E-Tickets to have constant thrills... I consider the Haunted Mansion to be an E-Ticket.

doctornick

Popular yes. Enjoyable yes. E-Ticket...notsomuch.
Maybe I just put my E-tickets on a higher scale.

I don't need my E-Tickets to have constant thrills... I consider the Haunted Mansion to be an E-Ticket.

That's fair. And, again, I'm not arguing the proposed Soarin' over Pandora ride is an E-ticket. But I think it should be a more engaging experience that Soarin' and might be impressive enough that some would consider it an E-ticket. Depends on the execution, really.

twebber55

I can't understand how I haven't looked at this thread in over a week and there's another eight pages when there have been NO developments at all ...
lol i agree... i would love to not have to defend it and let it go and not post anything in it until new developments occur

twebber55

I can't understand how I haven't looked at this thread in over a week and there's another eight pages when there have been NO developments at all ...
actually saw that you posted in this thread and was hoping for something of substance like......its a full go or its officially dead move along :)

WDW1974

actually saw that you posted in this thread and was hoping for something of substance like......its a full go or its officially dead move along :)

Sorry, it seems status quo ... which is withering on the vine, but not officially dead yet. It seems like Bob Iger's ego is the only reason it isn't dead. But there isn't any news, which is why I have no clue (and no time or desire to read) why eight more pages sprouted up.

prfctlyximprct

Saw someone asked about Pandora on the Disney Parks blog today under the article about the Adventurers Outpost Meet and Greet. It was ignored. Guess Camp Minnie-Mickey will be there for awhile...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Sorry, it seems status quo ... which is withering on the vine, but not officially dead yet. It seems like Bob Iger's ego is the only reason it isn't dead. But there isn't any news, which is why I have no clue (and no time or desire to read) why eight more pages sprouted up.

Methinks it is symbolic of the excitement generated by all of Disney's exciting future plans for the World!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom