AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

doctornick

If Avatar is slowly dying, then is an alternative being suggested, or would AK really end up with nothing?
Excellent question. I would be fine with Pandora being ditched if the same money was going towards a high caliber replacement. I'm skeptical of that happening, even though DAK really needs it.

I still don't understand why Mysterious Island isn't the default fallback is Avatar falls through. The development costs are already done and there's no royalties, so it's theoretically more bang for the buck. And it's not like there's a significant crossover in guests between Tokyo and Orlando who are already familiar with that land from TDS.

doctornick

I never liked the poachers story line. It always felt forced. Just take me on a ride through the reserve and let me see the animals. No one who ever rode that ride cared about the poacher story. they were there to see lions and elephants.

Disagree. You are going to see animals either way, the poacher storyline made it more entertaining.

twebber55

Excellent question. I would be fine with Pandora being ditched if the same money was going towards a high caliber replacement. I'm skeptical of that happening, even though DAK really needs it.

I still don't understand why Mysterious Island isn't the default fallback is Avatar falls through. The development costs are already done and there's no royalties, so it's theoretically more bang for the buck. And it's not like there's a significant crossover in guests between Tokyo and Orlando who are already familiar with that land from TDS.
i like the idea of mysterious island but what i dont want is test track, RSR, and JTTCOTE all be at WDW..same ride different theme

Figments Friend

When this project was first announced, i expected a standoff period between Mr. Cameron and Disney. I think a lot of us expected this, at least those who are familiar with how James likes to work.

Part of the reason i was excited about this project was that i knew if James was involved, the chances of this being a incredible, highly immersive themed area were fairly certain because of his personal work ethnic. He does not play for cheap...and will not allow *value engineering* on a project he is involved on. So DIsney will need to deliver the goods on their end ( great designs, great budget allotment..) or he will not be happy.

I trust James will push them to spend more then they may have liked, but the payoff could be huge if he is allowed to make the spectacular original concepts happen. I believe what others have been saying in regards to Disney trying to cut out some of the planned attractions, ...a downsizing....which is typical business as usual pre-CarsLand success. I would LIKE to think Disney would be more apt to open the purse a little more now as a direct result of the happiness and serious profit enhancements going on over on the West Coast at DisneyLand.

Let us see the two entities come together and build one hell of a land...so immersive and unique that even people who could care less about the source film will love it solely based on said totally immersive and unique atmosphere. The visuals of Pandora are what everyone remembers about the film, even people who hated the movie often noted how great the visuals were. Focusing on this instead of simply associating it with the movie will help non-movie fans enjoy it on a entirely different level. IF they can pull it off in a high caliber way..! They have the means...and they have the money....they just need the push to do it RIGHT.

This is how i am seeing the Avatar project....as a new immersive experience, in a new world....not just a tie-in to a movie. I think if people look at it simply as a strange, fantastical other-world and not just associate with *that movie* it can be a great success for both Avatar fans and non-fans alike.

I am interested to see how this develops. It could be something special....or it could just be folly.

Time will tell.

doctornick

i like the idea of mysterious island but what i dont want is test track, RSR, and JTTCOTE all be at WDW..same ride different theme

I never really understood this complaint. The ride system isn't the draw, it's the experience that goes on with the rides -- Test Track is completely different than RSR and if I didn't actively know it used the same ride system, I wouldn't even think of them as comparable.

To me, the slot car system is no different than an omnimover. Haunted Mansion and Buzz are completely different rides with the same ride system. Just like RSR/TT/JTTCOTE. YMMV.

FigmentJedi

By that logic, PIrates of the Caribbean and It's a Small World are the same ride. The Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, Journey Into Imagination, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Seas with Nemo and Ariel's Undersea Adventure are all the same ride.

Same ride system does not equal same ride. The mark of a true theme park ride is being capable of describing it without bringing up the ride system. That's what sets Disney and Universal apart from Six Flags.

misterID

HAHAHA_NO_ca7fdd_433522.jpg

You're right. I think Avatar would be a better fit in the WOL pavilion. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
some of you guys are blinded by your hatred... avatar is
the all time number 1 gross and then it drops all the way down to number 2 when you factor inflation
all time number one blue ray
highest premeire of a movie on FX...yep lots of people hate it

if you hate it so much why come on this thread?
I quite liked it actually.

George

Liker of Things
It's more like he won't accept what's been cut now. Higher ups are quietly walking away, leaving those below to battle out the cuts with a wont-budge Cameron who rightly quotes the original deal.

I can't imagine being one of "those below" having to explain to James Cameron why the company I work for is a Cheapie, McCheapiePants. Awkward.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom