AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

dupac

However, back on point....I'm not saying there's no gray area here...in fact, like I said, I believe the lines between true military and corporate-paramilitary are purposefully blurred. And by blurring the lines, the vast majority of viewers will simply interpret the antagonists in the movie as "military".

TIL that the bad guys in Avatar aren't the military. They're a part of a corporation.

Honestly, I had no idea. Now I feel like those people we make fun of for thinking MK is WDW and asking where HP Land is....

Ignohippo

The theme is that you are at an airport.
Aside from the scrolling sign that says, "Now departing"...nothing about the queue or preshow makes me feel as if I'm in an airport.

It's basically just a really pretty IMAX movie with elevated seats. The seats barely move. The only thing that differentiates it are the scents.

Now, look at one of the "definitions" of E-Ticket. The Tower of Terror. The grounds leading into the hotel, the foyer, the pre-show, the boiler room, the actual "uniqueness" of the attraction... THAT is an E-Ticket, and it has nothing to do with the thrills of it.

Like I said earlier...it's just my opinion.

Thanks for the explanation. I just couldn't understand that viewpoint, but I understand now.

IMO, amazing queues are a pretty recent revelation so I wouldn't hold that against any attraction. With that said, TLM has an amazing queue, but that doesn't help the attraction at all.

To me, an E-ticket is something that's incredibly popular, breaks new ground, and the high cost that went into creating the attraction. Certainly popularity would be the number one factor, though.

Soarin' qualifies in all three categories, so I'd consider it easily an E. I can see how others may consider it "old tech" now, but it's still one of the most popular attractions at WDW and something you can't really find at any theme park (IMAX, yes, but not something that hoists you up into the air to simulate flight).

Ignohippo

Because the queue is an unthemed utility tunnel? Because its just a butt-jointed Omnimax film with an innovative seating layout? Popularity alone doesn't make an E. Peter Pans Flight has all the same elements too.

The ride system of Soarin' is much more innovative and expensive than Pan. Soarin' is also just as popular (if not, more so) and pushes quite a few more people through than Pan.

Popularity is just about the only thing similar in those attractions. But hey, if TDO were to start selling tix to attractions again, you can bet that Pan would be an E.

twebber55

Thanks for the explanation. I just couldn't understand that viewpoint, but I understand now.

IMO, amazing queues are a pretty recent revelation so I wouldn't hold that against any attraction. With that said, TLM has an amazing queue, but that doesn't help the attraction at all.

To me, an E-ticket is something that's incredibly popular, breaks new ground, and the high cost that went into creating the attraction. Certainly popularity would be the number one factor, though.

Soarin' qualifies in all three categories, so I'd consider it easily an E. I can see how others may consider it "old tech" now, but it's still one of the most popular attractions at WDW and something you can't really find at any theme park (IMAX, yes, but not something that hoists you up into the air to simulate flight).
i consider an E as well

RunnerEd

Yeah, I'm not really arguing the benefits or drawbacks of an avatar land. I have in the past and since, I have changed my mind and gone back and forth more times than I care to admit. I do think its moot as I am convinced this project will never see the light of day....but I've been wrong before...

However, back on point....I'm not saying there's no gray area here...in fact, like I said, I believe the lines between true military and corporate-paramilitary are purposefully blurred. And by blurring the lines, the vast majority of viewers will simply interpret the antagonists in the movie as "military". Again. I'll stress the points:

* military rank is used and referred to throughout the movie
* speeches with 'defense of state' themes
* traditional military outfits are worn by many different roles served throughout the movie
* characteristically military behavior and speech used throughout
* military hairstyles (sorry, if these guys were mercs, you'd see some long hair and some off-kilter facial hair)
* giving and receiving orders
* references to military past

The point I was making is that these same things listed above in Dances with Wolves are the exact things that make the viewer draw the conclusion that we are indeed watching "the military"...

My assertion is that those very same things in avatar, delivered in much the same way, do not lead viewers to the conclusion that they are mercenaries....it was designed to confuse or fool the average viewer into thinking this is the American military killing off blue kitty and her babies.....

I completely agree with you and wish to add one more point. "Contractors" over in the sandbox used whatever type of weaponry they wanted that the company provided. In Avatar, all of the non-military military people used the exact same weapons like an organized unit. It's a small distinction but, along with your list, left me with a sour taste in my mouth about the entire movie.

fillerup

As far as the whole - Is Soarin' an E or is it a D? - the answer for me is if it had opened at MK in the 70s, would it have cost 75¢ to ride it twice? And I think the answer is yes.

RSoxNo1

The theme is that you are at an airport.
Aside from the scrolling sign that says, "Now departing"...nothing about the queue or preshow makes me feel as if I'm in an airport.

It's basically just a really pretty IMAX movie with elevated seats. The seats barely move. The only thing that differentiates it are the scents.

Now, look at one of the "definitions" of E-Ticket. The Tower of Terror. The grounds leading into the hotel, the foyer, the pre-show, the boiler room, the actual "uniqueness" of the attraction... THAT is an E-Ticket, and it has nothing to do with the thrills of it.

Like I said earlier...it's just my opinion.
Tower of Terror is at the top of the E-Ticket list in Florida. While it would be great if every attraction met that same standard it does a disservice to other quality attractions that aren't at the level of Tower of Terror.

Arguing about Soarin' being an E-ticket is comparable to arguing about Toy Story Mania. Demand would dictate that they're E-ticket attractions, and if the ticket books existed today they would be listed as E-tickets. However I think most people will say that the scope of Toy Story Mania is on par with other family friendly E-tickets. As for Soarin', it was an E-ticket when it opened but it's in rough shape. I think that's a real thing that needs to be considered. I think Star Tours could have been looked at it similarly as well. It's ticket level probably fluctuated as it became more dated/broken down.

Updating Soarin's projectors would significantly improve the attraction and eliminate much of this debate.

WDWFREAK53

Tower of Terror is at the top of the E-Ticket list in Florida. While it would be great if every attraction met that same standard it does a disservice to other quality attractions that aren't at the level of Tower of Terror.

Arguing about Soarin' being an E-ticket is comparable to arguing about Toy Story Mania. Demand would dictate that they're E-ticket attractions, and if the ticket books existed today they would be listed as E-tickets. However I think most people will say that the scope of Toy Story Mania is on par with other family friendly E-tickets. As for Soarin', it was an E-ticket when it opened but it's in rough shape. I think that's a real thing that needs to be considered. I think Star Tours could have been looked at it similarly as well. It's ticket level probably fluctuated as it became more dated/broken down.

Updating Soarin's projectors would significantly improve the attraction and eliminate much of this debate.

If you are talking about demand...Dumbo is an E-ticket.

If we are talking strictly about the "ride" and not the total attraction (queues, pre-shows, post shows, etc.) then ok...Soarin' would grade higher in my book.

More than just the ride, an E-ticket (for me) needs to make me feel that I'm in a different place.
When I'm on Soarin', I get the "WOW...this is cool!" feeling, but I don't feel as if I'm anywhere but a giant warehouse with a big video screen.

Yes, Tower of Terror is probably the best...

Toy Story...I'd consider an E-ticket. The outside area (Pixar Place), the line being in Andy's room...the Potatohead "barker" and the immersiveness of the attraction puts it at an E (again...for me). Also, the re-rideability.

Star Tours...E-ticket. Now, people would say, "But it's just a movie with moving seats just like Soarin'" but it's not...it's a whole lot more. The entrance with the AT-AT and Ewok Village, the animatronic droids, the little "pre-show video" and the multiple ride sequences makes it an E.

Rock 'n Rollercoaster...borderline E... but a D+ (Make actual sets rather than cutouts and you've got your E).

Everest. Absolutely an E ticket. (although I won't lie...the Yeti really irks me)

Safari. Absolutely an E ticket. (even though it was hokey, I thought the poacher scene added to the point of it...it just wasn't implemented very well)
I would put "It's Tough To Be A Bug" as a higher grade than Soarin' only due to the immersiveness of the queue.

Haunted Mansion...same reasons that Tower of Terror is.

Pirates...E-ticket.

Space/Splash/BTMRR: All E-tickets.

Look at the attractions I listed and then re-evaluate Soarin'. Don't get me wrong, I love Soarin'...but I don't truly feel that it's an "E-ticket." Do I ride it every time I'm there? Yes...but I wouldn't put it on the same caliber as many other attractions.

WDWFREAK53

I don't know about them being a recent revelation...Space Mountain and BTMRR have good queues...and if you consider the stretch room and pre-stretch room as part of the queue, that's pretty good too!

IMO, TLM gets a pretty bad rap. Also, I agree that it is NOT an E-ticket. I don't consider any of the Fantasyland dark rides as E-Tickets. The queue adds to the experience but doesn't help the attraction, I agree.

michmousefan

As for Soarin', it was an E-ticket when it opened but it's in rough shape. I think that's a real thing that needs to be considered. I think Star Tours could have been looked at it similarly as well. It's ticket level probably fluctuated as it became more dated/broken down.

Exactly. Immediate triage for Soarin would be to at the minimum get a fresh, clean print in there (and make the projection booths a clean space). Second would be to upgrade the projectors to digital, but I've heard that the technology might not be there yet for a digital presentation with the same resolution. I saw Skyfall in a purpose-built IMAX digital projected theatre last fall, and there was still noticeable pixel elements from time to time, usually during sequences of high contrast like graphics. No wonder IMAX is coming out with a higher-res version of their digital projection next year:
http://www.IMAX.com/community/blog/...-upgrade-to-next-generation-laser-technology/
Perhaps Disney can license that system for Soarin.

Of course, the third step would be a new film/presentation, but frankly I hope that doesn't happen without better projection technology.

The Empress Lilly

Living with the Land is The Land's headline E-ticket.
amour4.gif

Soarin' and Circle of Life are movies you do for quick relaxation before or after eating in the pavilion.

RSoxNo1

i would love to see a list by folks (including insiders) and what you deem an E ticket at WDW as well as Universal
Magic Kingdom
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Splash Mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • The Haunted Mansion
  • it's a small world
  • Space Mountain
Epcot
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Test Track
  • Soarin'
Hollywood Studios
  • Tower of Terror
  • Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
  • The Great Movie Ride (definitely debatable given it's age)
  • Star Tours (I'd say the new version is an E where the previous version is a D)
Animal Kingdom
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris
  • Expedition Everest
  • Dinosaur (definitely debatable)
Universal Studios
  • The Simpsons Ride (debatable)
  • Men In Black Alien Attack (debatable)
  • E.T. Adventure (debatable)
  • The Mummy
  • Hollywood, Rip, Ride Rockit (debatable)
Islands of Adventure
  • Spiderman
  • Forbidden Journey
  • Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Raft Barges
  • The Hulk (debatable)
  • Dragon Challenge (debatable)
  • Jurassic Park River Adventure (debatable)
  • Ripsaw Falls (debatable)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom