AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
People we are talking about James Cameron here. He takes a long time to do anything. He is a perfectionist who is competitive in every field he touches. He won't release a movie unless is going to smash records and he isn't going to out his name on a theme park unless its going to smash the competition. Sorry Harry but there is a new Navi in town.
You're talking about someone who signed up for x, then was only offered y.

WKR22

People we are talking about James Cameron here. He takes a long time to do anything. He is a perfectionist who is competitive in every field he touches. He won't release a movie unless is going to smash records and he isn't going to out his name on a theme park unless its going to smash the competition. Sorry Harry but there is a new Navi in town.
Let's hope he doesnt settle for what Disney is offering. If Cameron keeps pushing and gets what he wants, the land will be amazing.

Soarin' Over Pgh

to me there are three reasons it was selected
1. Highest gross of all time (2.8 billion)
2. Visually stunning and very adaptable to theme parks
3. Fits DAK theme of conservation and living in harmony with nature

I still don't get it.

Did anyone actually WATCH this movie? The US Army goes in and tears the planet to shreds. It has no regard for life, nature or the land.

As positive as everyone keeps mentioning this movie (living in harmony with land, etc) I just can't get over the actual mood of the movie- which to me is destruction and death to an unknown culture on an unknown planet for selfish reasons.

It reminds me very much of Dune (not the awful movie, but the actual book series) which, to put frankly, is very much like whats going on overseas with the oil issues.

I don't know, guys. I've seen the movie, a few times actually, but the only 'memorable' part for me was making the US look like a-holes for ripping apart a foreign land, and the overall negative feel of the movie. Sure, it was visually stunning, but I don't really remember much of it.

Except what's her name who was a constant smoker and the guy who was brought onto the project only because he looked like someone else (brother) but had no experience nor talent for the project...

I'll get off my soapbox now.

ThemeParks4Life

And 3-D tickets cost more than 'regular' theatre tickets. Has that been taken into consideration?

747aa71322684a6f62625525d9598ec8.jpg

GLaDOS

I still don't get it.

Did anyone actually WATCH this movie? The US Army goes in and tears the planet to shreds. It has no regard for life, nature or the land.

As positive as everyone keeps mentioning this movie (living in harmony with land, etc) I just can't get over the actual mood of the movie- which to me is destruction and death to an unknown culture on an unknown planet for selfish reasons.

It reminds me very much of Dune (not the awful movie, but the actual book series) which, to put frankly, is very much like whats going on overseas with the oil issues.

I don't know, guys. I've seen the movie, a few times actually, but the only 'memorable' part for me was making the US look like a-holes for ripping apart a foreign land, and the overall negative feel of the movie. Sure, it was visually stunning, but I don't really remember much of it.

Except what's her name who was a constant smoker and the guy who was brought onto the project only because he looked like someone else (brother) but had no experience nor talent for the project...

I'll get off my soapbox now.

You're completely right. The harmony with nature deal was overshadowed by "Look how crappy humans are. We're the worst aren't we? Especially Americans!"

The film is beyond terrible.

twebber55

You're completely right. The harmony with nature deal was overshadowed by "Look how crappy humans are. We're the worst aren't we? Especially Americans!"

The film is beyond terrible.
you forgot IMO

sorry lots of people like it..is it the greatest movie ever of course not but none the less sets up perfectly for theme park

by the way the greatest movie/franchise ever is The Godfather but that wouldn't make a very good land would it....

GLaDOS

sorry lots of people like it..is it the greatest movie ever of course not but none the less sets up perfectly for theme park

There are plenty of properties set up perfectly for a theme park.

Doesn't mean they fit in DAK. A weak "conservation" theme doesn't automatically make a property right for DAK. Should we do Fern Gully Land next?

I'm not going to get into a long discussion about this because it's been turned over so many times. But the reasoning behind the land is weak, and that leads to a weak execution, IMO.

twebber55

There are plenty of properties set up perfectly for a theme park.

Doesn't mean they fit in DAK. A weak "conservation" theme doesn't automatically make a property right for DAK. Should we do Fern Gully Land next?

I'm not going to get into a long discussion about this because it's been turned over so many times. But the reasoning behind the land is weak, and that leads to a weak execution, IMO.
yep im kind of tired of discussing it itself..although the floating mountains and bioluminescent plants and animals to me would be pretty sweet

|Q|

We all know how difficult it has been for the Walt Disney World Resort to release more information regarding [CUT]​
mean that we may have to wait until 2018 before seeing anything AVATAR-related in the park. What do you think?​

Saw this on the orlando theme park news site...

But it doesn't state any source, and if you look it up on google the only matching result is on OTPN.

twebber55

3D ticket prices were about 25% more then normal tickets so if for purposes of argument we cut Avatar's international gross by 25% it becomes the number 2 all time grossing film just being Titanic, and is still 500 million ahead of Avengers at #3.
yeah im always amazed by that argument....the avengers was a smashing success/hit (which it was) yet nobody liked avatar even though avatar almost doubled avengers in movie gross

silly argument but im tired of arguing about this...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
yeah im always amazed by that argument....the avengers was a smashing success/hit (which it was) yet nobody liked avatar even though avatar almost doubled avengers in movie gross

silly argument but im tired of arguing about this...

I guess you could argue that people didn't like Avatar, but it's very hard to argue that nobody saw it. There was a lot of buzz about it when it was out, it was one of those movies that "everyone" just had to see and I think a lot of people who wouldn't normally go to this type of movie went to see it just to see what the buzz was all about. I also believe that most people who saw it, left the theater happy with what the saw. What didn't happen with Avatar was that it didn't become a strong part of popular culture, it really didn't have the staying power of Star Wars or Harry Potter. With that said I still think it's great material for a theme park attraction.

twebber55

I guess you could argue that people didn't like Avatar, but it's very hard to argue that nobody saw it. There was a lot of buzz about it when it was out, it was one of those movies that "everyone" just had to see and I think a lot of people who wouldn't normally go to this type of movie went to see it just to see what the buzz was all about. I also believe that most people who saw it, left the theater happy with what the saw. What didn't happen with Avatar was that it didn't become a strong part of popular culture, it really didn't have the staying power of Star Wars or Harry Potter. With that said I still think it's great material for a theme park attraction.
i agree with this..i will say that those movies also had other movies to reinforce the characters and plot..not saying its as good as those movies but i am saying i think the theme park land could be as good as those

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom