AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Magenta Panther

Good idea, but why stop there...they should just resurrect the "Fantasia Gardens" concept from Beastly Kingdom so they could include the animals from "The Pastoral Symphony" and "Dance of the Hours". (Not necessarily at DAK, but I think WDW could use a Fantasia ride somewhere)

YES, and Bald Mountain. People would absolutely love all that. Chernobog is scarier than any Yeti or Dementor any day.

prfctlyximprct

We all know how difficult it has been for the Walt Disney World Resort to release more information regarding the quite mysterious "AVATAR Land" project that will be built inside Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park. This week, Disney released the following update on this addition, which sounds reassuring:​
AVATAR - Walt Disney Imagineers are currently in the design stage for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide is joining forces with visionary filmmaker James Cameron and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the world of AVATAR to life creating themed lands that will give Guests the opportunity to explore the mysterious universe of AVATAR first hand. With its emphasis on living in harmony with nature, Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a natural fit for the AVATAR stories, which share the same philosophy. Construction is expected begin in 2013 and project of this size typically takes approximately five years to design and build.
According to this, they are still in the "design stage", but at least work will finally start before the end of the year (hopefully). What doesn't sound so good is that the update states that "[a] project of this size typically takes approximately five years to design and build." What do they mean? Do they count 2011 and 2012 as part of the "design stage" as well? if so, this new land should open in three years or less (2016). If not, it would mean that we may have to wait until 2018 before seeing anything AVATAR-related in the park. What do you think?​

Saw this on the orlando theme park news site...

WED99

My friends started talking today about how much they loved Avatar. They could remember most of the movie and it has been a few years since they watched it.

Made me much more confident about the success of Avatarland :)

FigmentJedi

Said it before, I'll say it again: If they had to put an outside property into Animal Kingdom, this would be the best choice.

20483_pokemon.jpg

RyenDeckard

I don't think there is any possible way Disney World could go under with its current leadership. Disney offers things no other companies in the resort industry can match. Comparing them business wise to air carriers and retail establishments, who are a completely different industry is laughable.

Disney World in our lifetimes, will never be in danger of not being number one and therefore can rest on their laurels to achieve a perfect Avatarland. And the public will wait and be satisfied and tell glorious stories when it comes to pass.

Jimmy Thick- Fact.

Sorry to burst your anti-reality bubble, but thinking like this has put a lot of companies out of business.

My friends started talking today about how much they loved Avatar. They could remember most of the movie and it has been a few years since they watched it.

Made me much more confident about the success of Avatarland :)

Your friends are in the incredible minority, I haven't heard a word about avatar besides complaining about 3d movies since it came out.

articos

We all know how difficult it has been for the Walt Disney World Resort to release more information regarding the quite mysterious "AVATAR Land" project that will be built inside Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park. This week, Disney released the following update on this addition, which sounds reassuring:​
AVATAR - Walt Disney Imagineers are currently in the design stage for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide is joining forces with visionary filmmaker James Cameron and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the world of AVATAR to life creating themed lands that will give Guests the opportunity to explore the mysterious universe of AVATAR first hand. With its emphasis on living in harmony with nature, Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a natural fit for the AVATAR stories, which share the same philosophy. Construction is expected begin in 2013 and project of this size typically takes approximately five years to design and build.
According to this, they are still in the "design stage", but at least work will finally start before the end of the year (hopefully). What doesn't sound so good is that the update states that "[a] project of this size typically takes approximately five years to design and build." What do they mean? Do they count 2011 and 2012 as part of the "design stage" as well? if so, this new land should open in three years or less (2016). If not, it would mean that we may have to wait until 2018 before seeing anything AVATAR-related in the park. What do you think?​

Saw this on the orlando theme park news site...
If this gets built, and it is still currently an IF, expect something on par with the mini-land trend of late. Can't speculate accurately on opening at this point, but if ground is broken later this year, it won't be ready for guests until 2016/17 at earliest. Do include the design time within that 5 year time frame.

WED99

Your friends are in the incredible minority, I haven't heard a word about avatar besides complaining about 3d movies since it came out.
But how old were those people? 30 maybe 40? I can understand watching movies change so suddenly it can be annoying. I haven't heard complaints from anyone around my age group, they thought the idea of an Avatarland was amazing.

Let's face it, even if it destroys the AK theme for huge Disney fans like us, those tourists who can't tell the difference between a theme park and an amusement park will love it. They won't half- it because Cameron won't let them and we should all hope this is what we need to convince TDO to spend money to make money!

Sped2424

But how old were those people? 30 maybe 40? I can understand watching movies change so suddenly it can be annoying. I haven't heard complaints from anyone around my age group, they thought the idea of an Avatarland was amazing.

Let's face it, even if it destroys the AK theme for huge Disney fans like us, those tourists who can't tell the difference between a theme park and an amusement park will love it. They won't half- it because Cameron won't let them and we should all hope this is what we need to convince TDO to spend money to make money!
He has quite the point besides die hard Disney fans most people who I have discussed this land with have nothing but excitement for the land and givin how disney doesn't like spending money I doubt they would commit to this unless they new crowds wanted it.

Magenta Panther

With its emphasis on living in harmony with nature, Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a natural fit for the AVATAR stories, which share the same philosophy.​

ZZZZ...sounds as exciting as Rafiki's Planet Watch. :p

Magenta Panther

He has quite the point besides die hard Disney fans most people who I have discussed this land with have nothing but excitement for the land and givin how disney doesn't like spending money I doubt they would commit to this unless they new crowds wanted it.

Which of course is why the project is, according to people in the know, on life support. :rolleyes:

WED99

With its emphasis on living in harmony with nature, Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a natural fit for the AVATAR stories, which share the same philosophy.​

ZZZZ...sounds as exciting as Rafiki's Planet Watch. :p

But if we can use that as an excuse to get it into the parks, then we can get awesome thrill rides based on the creatures which are all pretty vicious :p

Sped2424

Which of course is why the project is, according to people in the know, on life support. :rolleyes:
Apparently not according to the post by @prfctlyximprct
It seems to be quite alive, we will see in the coming months on the status of avatar land but I have a feeling this is something that is going to be happening. :rolleyes:

twebber55

Good to know some people still think this is a nice addition I have faith it will be awesome if all goes well.
dont be fooled there are tons of people who love this idea... in fact the only folks i ve talked to or read about not excited for this project are folks on disney boards... honestly every person i ve talked to think this is a great idea... you dont become the all time gross and not have a huge fan base... remember protesters are always the loudest

G00fyDad

But TDO could spend 40 billion dollars and still screw it up. Just because you spend a ton of money doesn't mean that what you spend it on was very smart. Forget spend money to make money, try throwing good money after bad.

Clowd Nyne

People we are talking about James Cameron here. He takes a long time to do anything. He is a perfectionist who is competitive in every field he touches. He won't release a movie unless is going to smash records and he isn't going to out his name on a theme park unless its going to smash the competition. Sorry Harry but there is a new Navi in town.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
I still can't wrap my head around Avatar being selected as a property with enough value to be viable as a land.

The Harry Potter franchise I understand. I have friends who read the books. You hear kids talking about it and pretending they are the characters. There are books, toys, merchandise galore. All of this ON TOP of the books having received critical acclaim for their substance and having been turned into a Hollywood powerhouse on screen.

Avatar is one movie which, while the visual effects were stunning, had a predictable plot and while written in a way that sequels COULD be made, was wrapped up nicely in one film. I don't hear much chatter about it a couple years on, and while I'm sure merchandise exists, it doesn't appear to be overwhelming.

When Disney announced the Avatar plans I felt like it was a shallow reactionary move to do something to stem the Potterverse and it still feels that way.

Butter being spread over too much bread.

twebber55

I still can't wrap my head around Avatar being selected as a property with enough value to be viable as a land.

The Harry Potter franchise I understand. I have friends who read the books. You hear kids talking about it and pretending they are the characters. There are books, toys, merchandise galore. All of this ON TOP of the books having received critical acclaim for their substance and having been turned into a Hollywood powerhouse on screen.

Avatar is one movie which, while the visual effects were stunning, had a predictable plot and while written in a way that sequels COULD be made, was wrapped up nicely in one film. I don't hear much chatter about it a couple years on, and while I'm sure merchandise exists, it doesn't appear to be overwhelming.

When Disney announced the Avatar plans I felt like it was a shallow reactionary move to do something to stem the Potterverse and it still feels that way.

Butter being spread over to much bread.
to me there are three reasons it was selected
1. Highest gross of all time (2.8 billion)
2. Visually stunning and very adaptable to theme parks
3. Fits DAK theme of conservation and living in harmony with nature

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom