AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

twebber55

I wouldn't call a green felt table - with a bored Staggs, Vaughan and Cameron in a photo being conclusive.

Even though in that thread it appeared that Cameron changed his mind - he may of changed it again.
you may be right...like i said if 2013 comes and goes with no construction then ill assume this project is in serious trouble..until then when disney says construction begins in 2013 ill go what they are saying

Beholder

I guess no one knows exactly what's going to happen, especially since Disney doesn't seem to know what's going to happen. That being said, I guess I'd give it a 60/40 chance of happening. No "evidence" or inside info, just a guess. I give it a little better than 50% only because when TDO finally recognizes the threat that UNI is, they'll respond with as little effort as possible. They don't seem willingy to develope from within and Avatar creates an easy option. Again, I'm just guessing here, but one way or the other, it'd be nice to see something concrete. Hey, I made a pun.

M.rudolf

The insiders said Cameron signed off on some sort of cheaper plan for the land but even after that they're still saying that the Avatarland plans are a mess and that there's still no guarantee it will happen. I've seen WDW74, M. Rudolf and Marni all say things to that effect over the past few days. At this point there seems just as much chance that it will be scrapped as there is that it will happen.
The whole land has not been signed off on only morpho and the size,acreage of the land. From what I hear Cameron wants the coaster along with morpho. He also wants only 1 gift shop and very little, or no reference to Disney at all in the land. Basically he wants it to feel you are entering pandora.

FrankLapidus

The whole land has not been signed off on only morpho and the size,acreage of the land. From what I hear Cameron wants the coaster along with morpho. He also wants only 1 gift shop and very little, or no reference to Disney at all in the land. Basically he wants it to feel you are entering pandora.

So if that is the case, he basically wants the opposite to what Disney wants? Sounds like quite the partnership.

M.rudolf

So if that is the case, he basically wants the opposite to what Disney wants? Sounds like quite the partnership.
I don't know if its totally opposite, but pretty close, Cameron isn't interested in tshirt ,toys or Mickey,goofy, etc. he is interested in promoting Eco themes and conservation. Every time a side gets 1 step forward the other side takes 2 steps back. In the end if ground breaking isn't between June-August it won't happen. Cameron's feels short sheeted by the Lucas deal and knows it only time before disney says " Jim you do know that we have possibly the largest franchise ever. We really don't have to deal with this"

Atomicmickey

I don't know if its totally opposite, but pretty close, Cameron isn't interested in tshirt ,toys or Mickey,goofy, etc. he is interested in promoting Eco themes and conservation. Every time a side gets 1 step forward the other side takes 2 steps back. In the end if ground breaking isn't between June-August it won't happen. Cameron's feels short sheeted by the Lucas deal and knows it only time before disney says " Jim you do know that we have possibly the largest franchise ever. We really don't have to deal with this"

Well, ya know, applause to Cameron for wanting to focus on the Eco themes and keep Goofy
out of it. Perhaps the shops there would be unique. I applaud him standing his ground on this.
Even if it makes it not happen. This also makes me think that everyone's fears of a military
presence in the attractions/land are ill-founded.

M.rudolf

Well, ya know, applause to Cameron for wanting to focus on the Eco themes and keep Goofy
out of it. Perhaps the shops there would be unique. I applaud him standing his ground on this.
Even if it makes it not happen. This also makes me think that everyone's fears of a military
presence in the attractions/land are ill-founded.
No there will also be that aspect but not in the way it's represented in the movies. The human tech will be the ruins, like a broken ship in one area, a broken transporter, the one humans where in another. Just not prominent. More like this is what can happen when we don't respect nature,

Atomicmickey

No there will also be that aspect but not in the way it's represented in the movies. The human tech will be the ruins, like a broken ship in one area, a broken transporter, the one humans where in another. Just not prominent. More like this is what can happen when we don't respect nature,

Gotcha. Which also makes sense.

Keep pushing, Jim Cameron. Keep pushing. Make it great, make it grandiose, or don't make it at all.

Thanks for the great info, M. Rudolf.

Calvin Coolidge

Does anyone know the details of the contract with Cameron? Is there a way out of it other than paying him a lot of money? For instance, if they chose instead to build Avatar Land in Shanghai, would that satisfy the terms of the contract? (If this has been discussed extensively somewhere in these 165 pages, then my apologies)

M.rudolf

Does anyone know the details of the contract with Cameron? Is there a way out of it other than paying him a lot of money? For instance, if they chose instead to build Avatar Land in Shanghai, would that satisfy the terms of the contract? (If this has been discussed extensively somewhere in these 165 pages, then my apologies)
Both sides have an out, if said land isn't built by 2017 both sides can agree to part terms. Avatar land in shanghai wouldn't satisfy the terms of contract but CA would the way it's worded it has to built in the continental u.s. before ant other construction can be built elsewhere. It's not a one sided contract both sides have safety nets built in. Cameron does have ultimate veto power. He chose this over a parting settlement if not built

John

i agree with a lot of what is said on this board in regards to the condition of the parks and TDO has let it slipped however, guys like staggs and iger are a lot smarter than any of us on the matter including us crazy message board people, im sure they know whats going on

you know we complain about the condition of the parks and claim the parks need to (1) expand and (2) refurb/upkeep the place... so when disney announces an expansion some of you guys rip it.. so in reality you want expansion but on your terms and what you like... an example for me is the simpsons at Uni...not a fan never watched an entire episode but really like the ride and understand a greater simpsons presence there not for me

anyways these are first world problems, after all we re talking about theme parks

Given the recent discussion I assume you are refering to me? First I think if they did AvLand right it woulkd be a really nice addition. I do think that SW would be a better addition. NO I am not a SW junkie. Never sat thru the last three movies....didnt interest me. What I do know is the level of fandom those movies carry and what it might mean for WDW. Its about money....its always about money. SW would make an extreme amopunt of money.

You mention "what I want" you might be surprised what I want. I would be happy without either SW or Avatar, if they would just fix what they already have and bring back a lot of the details (magic) that has been sliced and diced over the years. I am not ripping them for a proposed addition...I just think thier choice of properties is a mistake.

twebber55

M
Given the recent discussion I assume you are refering to me? First I think if they did AvLand right it woulkd be a really nice addition. I do think that SW would be a better addition. NO I am not a SW junkie. Never sat thru the last three movies....didnt interest me. What I do know is the level of fandom those movies carry and what it might mean for WDW. Its about money....its always about money. SW would make an extreme amopunt of money.

You mention "what I want" you might be surprised what I want. I would be happy without either SW or Avatar, if they would just fix what they already have and bring back a lot of the details (magic) that has been sliced and diced over the years. I am not ripping them for a proposed addition...I just think thier choice of properties is a mistake.
my response was to no one in particular

RSoxNo1

Pffffft. Since when does Al Lutz care about what is best for WDW? NEVER, that is when. He simply is worried Avatar could dazzle by using more cutting edge tech than CarsLand has and even surpass the tech of FJ or anything else Uni is cooking up to the north.

Some of you are fooling yourselves but what is new?
You're absolutely right - that makes total sense.

doctornick

Interesting. I know this is going to go against the grain, but I think that just the simulator and the bike coaster would not be ideal. Though individually they sound cool and would likely be big draws, what DAK really needs is family accessible rides. Triceratops Spin is really the only ride in the park that someone who can't handle thrill rides can do (even the safari can be tough). I think the boat ride for Pandora is an important addition.

That said, given that I will ride anything, personally I'm fine with the two higher thrill level rides. But if that is what ends up being built, then DAK will still need other rides that are family friendly.

jt04

You're absolutely right - that makes total sense.

I grow more confident in that by the day. Avatar is partly internal turf war, partly the issues they had with JKR and partly DL fanboy panic.

"Let James Cameron Win"

Terminator 3D still works after all these years. Just saying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom