AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

John

Morpho is part of the plan yes, but not the whole land. But if you look at the plans it's very nondescript, with the name morpho and the nonexistent references to avatar I think that Disney never hasn't any confidence in the project. Add in the fact that the pictures are from almost initial avatar meetings it makes me wonder are we any closer to reality. The way it is now though they may have to go thru with the project due to the money already spent.

Thats called "throwing good money after bad" Disney has never had a problem spending money....Hyperion Warf, Next Gen. Its a matter of spending it wisely. I think Iger is missing the boat on this. If it was me I would have immediately dumped AVLand the minute the ink was dry on the purchase of Lucasfilm. Announce SW comming to DHS in a big way. Hell, they might have even erected a statue of the guy. There is no way that anybody in the halls of Burbank could honestly say that ....no avatar is a better way to go. Maybe, no one has the balls to say anything? Maybe Iger is so out of touch he really thinks Avatar is a big deal....blinded by the box office numbers?

lazyboy97o

Maybe Iger is so out of touch he really thinks Avatar is a big deal....blinded by the box office numbers?
I think this is a huge factor. Iger is obsessed with the idea of franchises. Parks are focused on franchises. Films are focused on existing and potential franchises. Televisions shows are focused on establishing franchises. For Iger, it's franchises, franchises, franchises. He is rather open with his focus on franchises, just read/watch almost any interview. I think his obsession is at the point where he cannot remove the notion of financial success from being a franchise. AVATAR [to him] is a franchise because it was financially successful as a film and there is no comprehension of a film, or even a series of films, being just that, a successful film (or films) but not a franchise.

twebber55

Thats called "throwing good money after bad" Disney has never had a problem spending money....Hyperion Warf, Next Gen. Its a matter of spending it wisely. I think Iger is missing the boat on this. If it was me I would have immediately dumped AVLand the minute the ink was dry on the purchase of Lucasfilm. Announce SW comming to DHS in a big way. Hell, they might have even erected a statue of the guy. There is no way that anybody in the halls of Burbank could honestly say that ....no avatar is a better way to go. Maybe, no one has the balls to say anything? Maybe Iger is so out of touch he really thinks Avatar is a big deal....blinded by the box office numbers?
maybe they just felt like they needed something in DAK and avatar is good fit for there.. star wars is a good fit for DHS and they already have a star wars presence there probably thinking of expansion after the first new movie

twebber55

I think this is a huge factor. Iger is obsessed with the idea of franchises. Parks are focused on franchises. Films are focused on existing and potential franchises. Televisions shows are focused on establishing franchises. For Iger, it's franchises, franchises, franchises. He is rather open with his focus on franchises, just read/watch almost any interview. I think his obsession is at the point where he cannot remove the notion of financial success from being a franchise. AVATAR [to him] is a franchise because it was financially successful as a film and there is no comprehension of a film, or even a series of films, being just that, a successful film (or films) but not a franchise.
i agree with a lot of what is said on this board in regards to the condition of the parks and TDO has let it slipped however, guys like staggs and iger are a lot smarter than any of us on the matter including us crazy message board people, im sure they know whats going on

you know we complain about the condition of the parks and claim the parks need to (1) expand and (2) refurb/upkeep the place... so when disney announces an expansion some of you guys rip it.. so in reality you want expansion but on your terms and what you like... an example for me is the simpsons at Uni...not a fan never watched an entire episode but really like the ride and understand a greater simpsons presence there not for me

anyways these are first world problems, after all we re talking about theme parks

yensidtlaw1969

I see the mouses' use of Jedi mind tricks are even more effective now that he owns the franchise.

"No need in noticing the happenings at DAK, Universal" "There are no future plans whatsoever" "Move along"
Jt, if you wish to believe that Avatarland is moving along smoothly, fine. But it's silly to pretend that the strength of your faith nullifies the fact of the situation.

twebber55

Jt, if you wish to believe that Avatarland is moving along smoothly, fine. But it's silly to pretend that the strength of your faith nullifies the fact of the situation.
ill say this no one really knows for sure whats going on with avatar but for JT he's just trying to screw with you and get you agitated..just laugh off his post....

jt04

I have never thought it is going smoothly. Cameron likes to push technology. But all evidence points to it happening.

lazyboy97o

i agree with a lot of what is said on this board in regards to the condition of the parks and TDO has let it slipped however, guys like staggs and iger are a lot smarter than any of us on the matter including us crazy message board people, im sure they know whats going on

you know we complain about the condition of the parks and claim the parks need to (1) expand and (2) refurb/upkeep the place... so when disney announces an expansion some of you guys rip it.. so in reality you want expansion but on your terms and what you like... an example for me is the simpsons at Uni...not a fan never watched an entire episode but really like the ride and understand a greater simpsons presence there not for me

anyways these are first world problems, after all we re talking about theme parks
What does this have to do with anything I posted? I made no comments about anybody's intellect (althought I greatly disagree with your assertion) or being appreciative of expansion, for lack of a better word.

FrankLapidus

insiders (cameron gives Ok) thread

The insiders said Cameron signed off on some sort of cheaper plan for the land but even after that they're still saying that the Avatarland plans are a mess and that there's still no guarantee it will happen. I've seen WDW74, M. Rudolf and Marni all say things to that effect over the past few days. At this point there seems just as much chance that it will be scrapped as there is that it will happen.

twebber55

The insiders said Cameron signed off on some sort of cheaper plan for the land but even after that they're still saying that the Avatarland plans are a mess and that there's still no guarantee it will happen. I've seen WDW74, M. Rudolf and Marni all say things to that effect over the past few days.
i never said anything regarding guarantee..just said progressing and will probably happen

FrankLapidus

i never said anything regarding guarantee..just said progressing and will probably happen

Yeah that's what you said, the insiders still say differently. If it happens then fine but I find it pretty strange that they're still repeating the same things over a year later with no sign of visible progress. We'll just have to wait and see what happens; maybe by the time phase 2 of HP opens they'll have some concept art they can preview.

twebber55

Yeah that's what you said, the insiders still say differently. If it happens then fine but I find it pretty strange that they're still repeating the same things over a year later with no sign of visible progress. We'll just have to wait and see what happens; maybe by the time phase 2 of HP opens they'll have some concept art they can preview.
definitely agree with you on that it does seem strange..i would think they would want to hype anything and everything about the project just to get some positive PR going that says hey we re building stuff too because right now Uni is moving away from little brother status and is stepping up big time

SirLink

what evidence points to it not happening
last weeks (albeit weak) presentation
insiders (cameron gives Ok) thread

I wouldn't call a green felt table - with a bored Staggs, Vaughan and Cameron in a photo being conclusive.

Even though in that thread it appeared that Cameron changed his mind - he may of changed it again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom