AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

nytimez

I know. I was being sarcastic at the nativity.

nativity1hq.jpg

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I see the mouses' use of Jedi mind tricks are even more effective now that he owns the franchise.

"No need in noticing the happenings at DAK, Universal" "There are no future plans whatsoever" "Move along"

Don't look for a year and I see our resident Andy Kaufman (as pointed out by another) is still active.

Skibum1970

Not sure why I wish to post this when we're talking about Avatarland but anyway...So, I was watching a Youtube video on something Disney and you hear Star Wars music in the background (think it was the video of the Magical Express to WDW). Anyway, you hear a young kid in the background go, "Ooooh, Star Wars!" The video was posted this year. How many of us would know the music to Avatar in the same way? Talk about great IP recognition.

Well, maybe Avatar's area in AK will be awesome. Just seems like such a "Really? That was the best idea you could come up with?" kind of moment.

celluloid

Avatar has no memorable music nor does it feature anything gift or "I want that" worthy from kids, or most adults. Which means it does not have a strong lasting power.

twebber55

Avatar has no memorable music nor does it feature anything gift or "I want that" worthy from kids, or most adults. Which means it does not have a strong lasting power.
I actually loved the music. For a movie that is the all time gross, received high tv ratings first time on fx, and dvd sales were high you wouldn't believe around here with some of you guys. I think this is a great challenge for wdi to see what they come up with. Im not ranting im excited

celluloid

That is great that you love the musical score, but I did not say likeable. I said memorable. Hum the tune of ET's Score in your head, Back to the Future, Star Wars, Jaws, James Bond, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park. Now hum the musical score of Avatar in your head. I bet most people who read that can't.

td1129

That is great that you love the musical score, but I did not say likeable. I said memorable. Hum the tune of ET's Score in your head, Back to the Future, Star Wars, Jaws, James Bond, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park. Now hum the musical score of Avatar in your head. I bet most people who read that can't.

I got 6! Couldn't hum et or bttf.

Beholder

One of Avatars "problems" in terms of score or memorable scenes or obvious merchandising potential is a lack of "moments". In E.T. we have the flying bikes, the Reeces Pieces, his many quotes, in Jurassic Park we have the first dinosaur scenes, the T-Rex debut, and the Velociraptors. In these and other classic films, we're given moments in the film we all remember, lines we can all quote, and a great score that moves us emotionally. Indiana Jones standing in Egypt with the sun setting behind him, and Vaders "I am your father!" are what makes these movies great. Avatar, for me, lacks these qualities that create the kind of following and fanbase these other films have. It has no defining moment that we all remember, no great lines (a lot of bad ones), and a score that kind of disappears into the background. Obviously, this is all my opinion, but it's how I see it.

Skibum1970

I can picture the big tree from Avatar (prior to it being blown apart) and some of the blue aliens. From the Star Wars Trilogy, I still see the ship passing overhead to start Star Wars and the first appearance of Vader as he moves into the ship with the ominous music. John Williams' scores set the table so well in so many of those films that were mentioned. If Disney puts the money into development, Avatar could be awesome but I still think that it won't have the same pull at people to visit as a new Star Wars area or area based upon Pixar (cough <Carsland> cough, cough).

twebber55

you know i just watched a few good men

great memorable line you know "you cant handle the truth" classic but i dont want to make theme aprk land out of it
avatar (along with LOTR) are no brainers in my book lands incredible scenery.....for the record im for some star wars expansion in DHS

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom