AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

John

You guys are argueing over symantics....my question is....where is the merch? where is the presence? the reference in our everyday culture? Those things make great lands. The movie didnt make all that money because it was a great movie.....it made all that money because it looked great. A lot is going to depend on what the sequils will be.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I don't think we watched the same movie.

To me.. that could have been some random Enya track. He said 'memorable' which usually comes along with association/recognition...

Play the Superman theme.. everyone knows what it is. Same with Star Trek... and yes.. even Harry Potter. While Avatar may have include 'good' music - it hasn't created that same sort of name recognition.

cheezbat

Sorry but Avatars soundtrack was not memorable. Upon re-listening to the soundtrack, I heard things that reminded me of the Lion King, Halo, and some sci-fi movies...

It's definitely no Back to the Future, or Star Wars, or Jaws, or Batman.

twebber55

im vowing to not post about avatar until something new and tangible about this project comes out...when we get to a point of critiquing the score thats overboard

celluloid

Yeah, memorable is what I posted, not that it was not likeable. There is a difference to that.

(edited because I do not want to be read as hateful) Apologies. Wanted to reword that.

erasure fan1

I will have to agree with the music was good but not memorable side. I am pretty sure if you played the the main music to a bunch of popular movie franchises, most of the people would not recognize the Avatar music. (Myself included.) Not that the music will determine if the land is great or not, it will be how well themed and how good the attractions are.

dxwwf3

I will have to agree with the music was good but not memorable side. I am pretty sure if you played the the main music to a bunch of popular movie franchises, most of the people would not recognize the Avatar music. (Myself included.) Not that the music will determine if the land is great or not, it will be how well themed and how good the attractions are.
Fair points all around, but I think the "I See You" theme that was throughout the score will be very recognizable if they use it in the sequels.

stevehousse

I am all for Avatar or anything new at AK, but on a silly note, how funny would it be if u could buy blue tails and they would have various points throughout the land that u could "stick your tail" into and have something happen like a tree glowing or animals popping out or something??? LMAO

The Empress Lilly

I am all for Avatar or anything new at AK, but on a silly note, how funny would it be if u could buy blue tails and they would have various points throughout the land that u could "stick your tail" into and have something happen like a tree glowing or animals popping out or something??? LMAO
Somewhere in WDI somebody is makeing a note of this...

The Empress Lilly

where is the presence? the reference in our everyday culture? .

The movie didnt make all that money because it was a great movie.....it made all that money because it looked great.
I totally agree.

Still...your second statement answers the questions of the first. Avatar did look great. The movie was sold on its imagery. But that makes the movie more desireable for a theme park, not less. Here is one thing Avatar has got going for it: show any segment of thirty seconds, and everybody will know that the movie is 'Avatar'. Not so with Resident Evil. Not so with any Marvel movie - these are only sitinguished by the costume of the superhero. Not so even with Potter, where vast segments look like boring BBC school drama.

But Avatar everybody recognises. Instantly, and unmistakebly. It is the Mickey Mouse of modern movies, in that it has a near universal recognition factor. Even four years on, one picture, of blue sex kittens, of floating mountains, of fluorescent plants, will make everybody go 'ah, Avatar'.

There is the value of Avatar, its unique selling point.

John

I totally agree.

Still...your second statement answers the questions of the first. Avatar did look great. The movie was sold on its imagery. But that makes the movie more desireable for a theme park, not less. Here is one thing Avatar has got going for it: show any segment of thirty seconds, and everybody will know that the movie is 'Avatar'. Not so with Resident Evil. Not so with any Marvel movie - these are only sitinguished by the costume of the superhero. Not so even with Potter, where vast segments look like boring BBC school drama.

But Avatar everybody recognises. Instantly, and unmistakebly. It is the Mickey Mouse of modern movies, in that it has a near universal recognition factor. Even four years on, one picture, of blue sex kittens, of floating mountains, of fluorescent plants, will make everybody go 'ah, Avatar'.

There is the value of Avatar, its unique selling point.

Agreed, the only problem is.......Who cares? Not sure I would equate it with Mickey either. Sure Blue sex kittens are recognizable but they dont resonate within. Did we really idenitfy with its hero? or was the movie simply eye candy that has little substance? How many people are really clamoring for a follow up? I am sure it has a fan following.....as evidence here. IMO it was a knee jerk reaction and the powers to be scrambleing to find an answer to Potter. All that said IF and that is such a big IF....IF Disney built something that was worthy of the asthetics of the film it could be really something. What is in our imaginations and what could be done is I am afraid far from what Disney will spend for. I am also not sure how well Avatar will translate to the kiddie demo. First most attractions will have to be dark. Second I think those blue sex kittens would scare the bajesus out of toddlers. What about the M&G's Disney loves so much? The sex kittens? I can see a line of men between the ages of 12-30 and thats about it. Does any of this scream "family friendly"? I could see the stroller patrol buzzing right past this land.

twebber55

Agreed, the only problem is.......Who cares? Not sure I would equate it with Mickey either. Sure Blue sex kittens are recognizable but they dont resonate within. Did we really idenitfy with its hero? or was the movie simply eye candy that has little substance? How many people are really clamoring for a follow up? I am sure it has a fan following.....as evidence here. IMO it was a knee jerk reaction and the powers to be scrambleing to find an answer to Potter. All that said IF and that is such a big IF....IF Disney built something that was worthy of the asthetics of the film it could be really something. What is in our imaginations and what could be done is I am afraid far from what Disney will spend for. I am also not sure how well Avatar will translate to the kiddie demo. First most attractions will have to be dark. Second I think those blue sex kittens would scare the bajesus out of toddlers. What about the M&G's Disney loves so much? The sex kittens? I can see a line of men between the ages of 12-30 and thats about it. Does any of this scream "family friendly"? I could see the stroller patrol buzzing right past this land.
not every ride/land is about kids..TOT certainly isnt... just like the argument about NFL is too kiddie..of course its kiddie its for kids...maybe disney is tapping into a new market to try and draw different people here like potter did (no im not saying its on potters level) just the concept of bringing new guest and maybe a different demographic although all of my kids from 9 to 20 are pretty pumped about it
i do think you make some valid points though so im not necessarily disagreeing with you just offering a different POV

John

not every ride/land is about kids..TOT certainly isnt... just like the argument about NFL is too kiddie..of course its kiddie its for kids...maybe disney is tapping into a new market to try and draw different people here like potter did (no im not saying its on potters level) just the concept of bringing new guest and maybe a different demographic although all of my kids from 9 to 20 are pretty pumped about it
i do think you make some valid points though so im not necessarily disagreeing with you just offering a different POV

Maybe....but thats not Disneys MO. Yup there is TOT, RNR, EE and one or two more. But not entire lands. I do however agree that they need to find something to appeal to those exact demos your children are. This could be it. I dunno. I wouldnt be dissapointed if they built it, I just dont have much faith they would do it justice.....to capture the magic that was on screen will be tough....not to mention exspensive.

twebber55

Maybe....but thats not Disneys MO. Yup there is TOT, RNR, EE and one or two more. But not entire lands. I do however agree that they need to find something to appeal to those exact demos your children are. This could be it. I dunno. I wouldnt be dissapointed if they built it, I just dont have much faith they would do it justice.....to capture the magic that was on screen will be tough....not to mention exspensive.
thats a great point..can they recreate teh scenery from the movie in a real setting (floating moutnains bio luminescent plants etc...)agree im very curious about this

erasure fan1

Fair points all around, but I think the "I See You" theme that was throughout the score will be very recognizable if they use it in the sequels.
I agree. Most of the movies that we all think have memorable music, most have multiple movies. Star wars, Jurassic park, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Star trek.... all multi movie franchises. So if the new Avatars reuse music, and the movies are better than the original, it has a chance to become memorable. Banking on sequels that haven't been made yet seems like a dice roll to me. Either it will end up Disney was genius with this move or we will have a really cool looking land that people really are not attached to and would never plan a trip around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom