AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Beholder

Unfortunately, the two Disney theme park properties on opposing coasts seem to be moving further apart from each other operationally and culturally. Nothing TDO has done in the last few years proves they have any interest in duplicating Anaheim's success, nor does it even
appear they are consciously aware of the success
happening right now at Disneyland.

I'm not even sure they have working telephone
lines between the two properties. There is no
current evidence that TDO is communicating in
any meaningful way with TDA. It's baffling to
observe, really. :confused:

I hope that isn't the case. It's sad to think that two parks, in the same country, owned by the same company, can employ two different philosophical approaches, or business models. Maybe the pendulum will swing back this way...

flynnibus

Premium Member
TDA isn't flawless either - they've made plenty of bonehead moves over the past 6-7 years too. They have been working parades and attractions tho - something TDO has not.

But people are really getting revisionist now that DCA v2.0 has opened.

The Empress Lilly

TDA isn't flawless either - they've made plenty of bonehead moves over the past 6-7 years too. They have been working parades and attractions tho - something TDO has not.

But people are really getting revisionist now that DCA v2.0 has opened.
Ten years ago, the Anaheim resort was described as an only marginally more attractive destination than the Chernobyl radioactive zone.

Common wisdom was that DL was falling apart, that half the rides were closed, that DCA was better when it was still the parking lot.

Ten years on, and Anaheim is now DL the Mecca for Disney lovers. (Behind the fabled foreign parks). Much has really improved, but much is also fan perception and groupthink.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ten years ago, the Anaheim resort was described as an only marginally more attractive destination than the Chernobyl radioactive zone.

Common wisdom was that DL was falling apart, that half the rides were closed, that DCA was better when it was still the parking lot.

Ten years on, and Anaheim is now DL the Mecca for Disney lovers. (Behind the fabled foreign parks). Much has really improved, but much is also fan perception and groupthink.

well when you move the clock that far back into pressler/harris and pre-50th.. yes. But that is 'old management' long purged now. I call 'new management' the revolving 3 year presidents after Matt O... and what they've done since the 50th. Prior to the 50th really was an entirely different chapter that shouldn't be lumped into current trends.

dxwwf3

It doesn't have to take a long time to change things and change reputations. We just have to hope the pendulum of quality and good taste swing back towards WDW fans soon.

WDW1974

Wait, did that really happen?

I hope so. That would be incredibly hilarious.

Yes. It did. Sadly.

It was just one concept, but they thought a wand ride with screens similar to TSMM through a castle with limited sets and effects would be a great ride. They were wrong ...right?

WDW1974

Just wondering about this, maybe someone here will have a likely answer. Does/could the success of Carsland put any professional/corporate pressure on TDO/AK to pull off something as good or well received as DCA? In other words, from a corporate level, will Disney be expecting the upcoming Avatar (or anything else, I guess) to be as well funded and as well designed as Carsland? Kind of a "our guys on the west coast just hit a home run. What are you east coasters going to do now?"

Why don't we see if it ever happens first?

But, no, I don't think there's any pressure on TDO and I don't think there has been for a good dozen or so years. that's how you get sustained mediocrity ... part of the MAGIC of The Walt Disney Co.

WDW1974

Unfortunately, the two Disney theme park properties on opposing coasts seem to be moving further apart from each other operationally and culturally. Nothing TDO has done in the last few years proves they have any interest in duplicating Anaheim's success, nor does it even appear they are consciously aware of the success happening right now at Disneyland.

I'm not even sure they have working telephone lines between the two properties. There is no current evidence that TDO is communicating in any meaningful way with TDA. It's baffling to observe, really. :confused:

Hey, what about the plain napkins? That shows lots of communication as part of ONE DISNEY!

WDW1974

I generally like hyperbole as much as the next Spirit, but not as much as a good steak or hot fudge sundae. But I think your opening salvo is pouring it on a bit much. DL was likely at its low point in 2002, but it wasn't falling apart as a park (just pieces!), half the rides were most definitely not closed (or anywhere near that) and only fools would have enjoyed a parking lot over an albeit weak theme park.

Yes, much has improved ... but the perception IS the reality. No one is looking at something like the Casey Junior Pee While You Play Fountain (and admit it, we all like to do that!) as more than a fancy sprinker to the Anaheim fans. Here it is worthy of praise that never ends.

So, what is the groupthink you speak of, Empress?

The Empress Lilly

I generally like hyperbole as much as the next Spirit, but not as much as a good steak or hot fudge sundae. But I think your opening salvo is pouring it on a bit much. DL was likely at its low point in 2002, but it wasn't falling apart as a park (just pieces!), half the rides were most definitely not closed (or anywhere near that) and only fools would have enjoyed a parking lot over an albeit weak theme park.

Yes, much has improved ... but the perception IS the reality. No one is looking at something like the Casey Junior Pee While You Play Fountain (and admit it, we all like to do that!) as more than a fancy sprinker to the Anaheim fans. Here it is worthy of praise that never ends.

So, what is the groupthink you speak of, Empress?
Groupthink is lots of people falling for excessive hyperbole.
langue3.gif

A decade ago DL could do nothing right (which was not true), and nowadays DL can do no wrong (which is not true). But such is public perception.

And don't call John Hench a fool!

WDW1974

Groupthink is lots of people falling for excessive hyperbole.
langue3.gif

So, where do you see that? The Disboards? My old home LP.com (be careful as those cyber tumbleweeds blow through they can really smart)?

A decade ago DL could do nothing right (which was not true), and nowadays DL can do no wrong (which is not true). But such is public perception.

I don't believe that your statement is accurate on either end. I find it hyperbolic on both points.
And as to doing no wrong now, there's a thread on the DL board, which I've been meaning to comment on, that shows how Buzz Lightyear's Anaheim ride is as ghetto as the MK's ... right now, you can go look if ya like.

And don't call John Hench a fool!

As a Spirit, I often talk to the dead. I'd never call John Hench a fool. I would call fans who believe he uttered those words in any serious manner to look for proof. I was at the DCA opening ... I was actually there for two weeks in and around it. I saw John Hench, including on opening day. Giving interviews etc. I never heard him say that and I never saw it in any real media. I think someone, perhaps Jim Hill (not sure here), said that Hench said that on Opening Day. I don't buy it ...although he had a sharp wit and the park wasn't his cup of latte so anything may be possible. But I think fans are just gullible and believe what they want to anyway.

The Empress Lilly

I don't visit the DL board, or the LP. I'm afraid of visiting new Disney sites like a fanboi fears a trip to the other coast.

I don't read Hill either. My source is Re-Imagineering. Defunct and brilliant. They attribute the Hench quote to a quip shortly before opening.
http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.nl/2006/07/elemental-losses-earth.html
When Imagineering legend John Hench, after a pre-opening VIP tour of Disney’s California Adventure in 2001, famously quipped, “I liked it better when it was a parking lot” it would have been easy to dismiss the statement as merely a wry and devilishly wicked smack-down of a theme park that deserved much of the criticism thrown its way.

But look beyond the surface giggles and you’ll find a level of of wisdom that is both disarming and a little profound.

Jimmy Hill: I'm the driving force of the blogosphere. Are YOU a Jim fan?

Beholder

Why don't we see if it ever happens first?

But, no, I don't think there's any pressure on TDO and I don't think there has been for a good dozen or so years. that's how you get sustained mediocrity ... part of the MAGIC of The Walt
Disney Co.

That's not the answer I wanted to here, but it was the one I was expecting. I guess I'm hoping the spotlight starts to swing this (Orlando) way and WDW will get some much needed attention. And as a result, I'll cling to any reasonable excuse to believe it can happen. If that means a well received DCA, then I'll jump on that. Maybe that combined a changing of the guard?

COProgressFan

Unfortunately, the two Disney theme park properties on opposing coasts seem to be moving further apart from each other operationally and culturally. Nothing TDO has done in the last few years proves they have any interest in duplicating Anaheim's success, nor does it even appear they are consciously aware of the success happening right now at Disneyland.

I'm not even sure they have working telephone lines between the two properties. There is no current evidence that TDO is communicating in any meaningful way with TDA. It's baffling to observe, really. :confused:

It's really bizarre, isn't it? How the two resorts with the same "One Disney" leadership can operate so differently from each other. I'm still not sure if that is a conscious decision from above (let Florida fall apart, they're tourists anyway, and we'll be gone from the company soon so what do we care so long as Wall St. is happy) or if they are really that clueless as to what is going on. Perhaps a bit of both.

ChrisM

Yes. It did. Sadly.

It was just one concept, but they thought a wand ride with screens similar to TSMM through a castle with limited sets and effects would be a great ride. They were wrong ...right?

Let me preface this by saying - in theory - a heavily themed "wand training" style attraction/game would actually be a lot of fun and could end up being very good. The exact implementation would obviously be critical.

And I say that as someone who has absolutely no interest in Harry Potter whatsoever. As long as an attraction is well conceived and implemented I'm all for it, be it Disney, Universal, Six Flags, Cedar Fair, or any other operator.

Adam5897

If it is possible to walk through the landscape and see the glowing plants and all of the unusual creatures then it will in my opionion. It seems impossible but you never know with the Imagineers, they always have a trick up their sleeve. However, If it is called "Avatar Land" and not "Pandora" i will not be as excited.

menamechris

Yes. It did. Sadly.

Speaking of which - when Disney proposed their ideas to Rowling regarding Potter - wasn't it supposed to be a separate gate? A "boutique park" if you will? If that rumor was true - wow - Disney's ideas must have REALLY sucked.

Lee

Adventurer
Speaking of which - when Disney proposed their ideas to Rowling regarding Potter - wasn't it supposed to be a separate gate? A "boutique park" if you will? If that rumor was true - wow - Disney's ideas must have REALLY sucked.
Nope.
As far a I know, it wasn't to be a separate gate.

BigThunderMatt

I'm sure it was fantastic. J.K. Rowling just wanted full creative control and Disney wasn't willing to relinquish it. Universal, on the other hand, had nothing to lose. Guess that shows which of the two companies make smarter business decisions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom