AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Sorry, I didn't know their was already a thread for this. Dosent mean their cant be more than one!

I think Steve has asked that discussions on the project remain in that thread, so as not to have too many ongoing:

"This thread is for discussion of specific elements of the AVATAR project. Attraction possibilities, locations, budgets, timescales etc."

Adam5897

I think Steve has asked that discussions on the project remain in that thread, so as not to have too many ongoing:

"This thread is for discussion of specific elements of the AVATAR project. Attraction possibilities, locations, budgets, timescales etc."

ok thats fine with me. Thanks for letting me know. any way i can delete this thread so we can stick to the main one

ChrisM

Floating mountains.

Bioluminescent night-time lighting/theming.

A family-friendly ride of some flavor - a mixture of travel to Pandora, briefing, light safari?. (Too similar to Kilamanjaro Safaris?)

A major E-ticket ride in which you are chased/attacked through land, air, and sea by the native flora and fauna. (Too much like CTX/Dinosaur? Too much like the family-friendly ride? Perhaps.)

A night-time show/parade. A "native" themed parade with crazy tribal music, stilt-walking aliens, and a WoC inspired "ritual" show focused around their Tree of Souls and those little glowing whisp things floating around would be pretty wild.

wiigirl

My vote is for Floating Mountains.... :p
75.gif

Patricia Melton

I used to be a huge Beastly Kingdome advocate, but with Harry Potter, Lost Continent and HP 2, it seems a little redundant. Would I like to see a BK? Yes, but re-imagined with bigger and better ideas and effects. But, that's not happening, so if Avatar is what we get, fine (ish), but make it great. I'm excited by the possibilities and glad AK is getting some attention. Sight line balloons, JR tweets, CMM being moved, it's all pretty exciting to see.

And if this is in reaction/response to Harry Potter, good! WDW needs a fire lit under their nether regions.

I really liked this comment because it didn't occur to me that HP over at Uni really does make the dragons and European mythical beast aspect of Beastly Kingdom redundant now. I doubt we will ever see this at DAK as Potterland pretty much owns this stuff now.

However, I think Disney should still add a Mythical Animals area to DAK that would include a menagerie of creatures from greek myths as well as some other cultures. I'd like to see the mythical creatures from Fantasia and also from Hercules in a dark ride of some kind. I also think the Unicorn maze attraction proposed for Beastly Kingdom would be good. The Dragon's Castle ride is pretty much redundant because of Hogwarts and the dragon and flying rides in Potterland.

I never really made the connection between Potterland and DAK until now but Beholder is right: Beastly Kingdom will never happen now that Potterland was built...at least not the European fantasy creatures aspect of the original proposal.

Patricia Melton

Five things I want to see in "Pandora - the World of Avatar":

1. Bioluminescent forest that is unlike anything we've ever walked through before, just glowing and being enchanting at night and keeping DAK open as late as the other parks.

2. Water-based ride where we experience the aquatic life that will be featured in Cameron's next Avatar movie.

3. A ride where you feel like you are flying on one of those dragons that the blue cat people rode in the movie Avatar.

4. A restaurant that makes you feel like you are on a spaceship floating over the moon Pandora and its planet Polyphemus (like you are on a cruise ship that's arrived to visit Pandora); the windows in the restaurant would use the technology from the Disney Cruise ships and look like windows displaying space scenes.

5. A safari though the Pandora jungle that would be like the Jungle Cruise on a train with vignettes highlighting all the Pandora space animals.

ChrisM

4. A restaurant that makes you feel like you are on a spaceship floating over the moon Pandora and its planet Polyphemus (like you are on a cruise ship that's arrived to visit Pandora); the windows in the restaurant would use the technology from the Disney Cruise ships and look like windows displaying space scenes.

This is a fantastic idea.

RSoxNo1

Wasn't there a Milliways (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe) concept thrown around at one point?

midwest_mice

I could really see an E ticket ride come to Avatarland so that it competes with Potter. I am all for a unique experience that involves the sensation of flying, I hope TDO has their A game on for this land.

Patricia Melton

That didn't work out well for Flights of Wonder. Orlando is the lightning capital of the world.

Is that why Flights of Wonder was taken down? Lightning?

That's too bad, because the only way I can think of to have the Avatar floating mountains in real life would be to have them be giant hot air balloons...and the only way to make having giant hot air balloons feasible economically is to make them a ride of some kind (as opposed to just having them going up and down and floating around tethered to the ground for atmosphere...which would look cool, but I bet it would be prohibitively expensive to keep going).

If it was a ride, then I could see them doing it on a running basis...as an attraction there that you could see the entirety of the park and the other parks from high above while floating under a "mountain'.

I've seen hot air balloons shaped like all kinds of things in the past: Darth Vader's head, champagne bottles, etc. Even a Taj Mahal:
flying_taj.jpg

I know years ago I saw a hot air balloon shaped like a mountain that was floating.

Just imagine if Disney had "floating mountains" over the Avatarland. It would be spectacular.

But, as noted above, I don't know how in the world they could ever make this cost-effective unless they charged an extra fee to ride it and ran it as an "adventure" type attraction exclusive to "Pandora - the World of Avatar" where you could actually "fly on a mountain" high above the park.

RSoxNo1

That didn't work out well for Flights of Wonder. Orlando is the lightning capital of the world.
Is that why Flights of Wonder was taken down? Lightning?

That's too bad, because the only way I can think of to have the Avatar floating mountains in real life would be to have them be giant hot air balloons...and the only way to make having giant hot air balloons feasible economically is to make them a ride of some kind (as opposed to just having them going up and down and floating around tethered to the ground for atmosphere...which would look cool, but I bet it would be prohibitively expensive to keep going).

If it was a ride, then I could see them doing it on a running basis...as an attraction there that you could see the entirety of the park and the other parks from high above while floating under a "mountain'.

I've seen hot air balloons shaped like all kinds of things in the past: Darth Vader's head, champagne bottles, etc. Even a Taj Mahal:
flying_taj.jpg

I know years ago I saw a hot air balloon shaped like a mountain that was floating.

Just imagine if Disney had "floating mountains" over the Avatarland. It would be spectacular.

But, as noted above, I don't know how in the world they could ever make this cost-effective unless they charged an extra fee to ride it and ran it as an "adventure" type attraction exclusive to "Pandora - the World of Avatar" where you could actually "fly on a mountain" high above the park.
Flights of Wonder is the bird show with Guano Joe in the Animal Kingdom.
Characters in Flight is the balloon ride at Downtown Disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom