AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

alindley

I think that one of the problems with the LOTR is that a) there would be too much to choose from that you would no doubt offend people for leaving stuff out and b) the movies are already done and unlike spiderman are not going to be redone in 5-10 years (granted the hobbit is coming out)

bubbles1812

I think that one of the problems with the LOTR is that a) there would be too much to choose from that you would no doubt offend people for leaving stuff out and b) the movies are already done and unlike spiderman are not going to be redone in 5-10 years (granted the hobbit is coming out)

I don't know if I can agree. Yes there is a heck ton of stuff in those movies. Way more than could ever be included in a theme park. But I don't think people would be offended if stuff got left out. I think most people are reasonable and would know not everything could be in the parks. Though if they did at least one "tour of middle earth" ride, at least they could use most of the locals featured in the movie.

And what does the movies already being done have to do with anything? The movies are classics, much like the majority of the other movies in Universal...they have staying power well beyond when the movies originally came out. That actually goes for Disney as well, with maybe the exception of Avatar. But what's more, LOTR is a beloved book series that has stayed in print since the early 1950s...if that's not staying power, I'm not sure what is. People have been waiting to visit Middle Earth for years and years and years. And since many can't afford a trip to New Zealand (or Britain), I think a stateside park featuring LOTR would be perfect...much the way Potter is.

Patricia Melton

Just wanted to check... you don't buy a one day ticket every day, do you?

Cosmic --

I use a travel agent friend for the trips. We get the passes that are multi-day, but for one park each day. We don't need the park hoppers until the last day.

About 6 years ago we let someone talk us into park-hoppers...but we just didn't use it and it was a giant loss for us. We like going to the park when it first opens....and we typically stay for the whole day until about 4 or 5pm. Then we go back to the hotel and rest up. If the park is open late that night, we sometimes go back for more fun in the evening. But we've never, ever wanted to park hop. I know some people like to, but it's just something that my family is not into.

Our trips are almost always 6 days. The first day we arrive, we don't go to a park and we just relax from the travel. So, we get multi-day passes that are for 4 days and then the last day we get a park hopper pass.

I always have the travel agent run it a couple of ways to see what works out to be the best value but this works for us.

spacemt354

Chili's

I think with problem a), that situaiton could remedy itself based on public demand. Just like with Harry Potter. If the place is popular and the public wants more, I'm sure they could always expand the LOTR territory if the people wanted that. Also with b) yeah you do have a point that they probably won't be remade other than the Hobbit in the next 5-10 because it's not like spiderman or other superhero films where they can change the dynamics and storyline. If they remade it, I don't see how it could get any better than the trilogy we got from 01-03, other than maybe more visual effects. But even that, the battle of helm's deep in the two towers was probably the best battle I've ever seen in a movie. Anyway, I'm getting off-track.

I think the real dilemma with this kind of project would be a combination of the two issues you had mentioned, but for different reasons that you had stated. Take Harry Potter for example. For someone who hasn't read the books or seen the movies, a person can describe to them the main plot so that person can at least comprehend what's going on. Same goes for Avatar, and a majority of other movies as well. But the Lord of the Rings, you will truly have to do your homework for in order to enjoy the land. We all think it's a great idea because we have seen the movies/read the books, but for people going into the land cold so to speak, they are just gonna be lost. And with all the plot lines and detail, it's really difficult to describe the story to someone who has no experience. They really have to watch the movies for themselves in order to enjoy all of the detail that the land would most surely provide. And of course, going to Potter World without exposure to the movies/books, and having the plot explained to you in a few sentences is not going to provide the same experience as actually reading and watching the tale for yourself. But I think the Lord of the Rings is on a much grander scale in terms of that story-telling and to people without exposure, it's going to be confusing. In addition, I feel that LoTR is geared towards a more mature audience. I'm not talking about action and whatnot because Disney rides like Star Tours and Indy deal with violent action scenes. I'm talking about the story itself and how it would be in-depth for a younger audience. Again I might be wrong, but I didn't pick up a LoTR book until I was 14. And I didn't see the movies either until I was in my teens because in 01-03, Harry Potter and other novels were more appealing to my age group.

With that being said though I think this is a great idea, but I would put it in Hollywood Studios and not the AK. If this got a good backing by the company, I would just take out everything in the back left corner of DHS and let the imagination roam.

Beholder

LOTR needs an entire park to realize it's potential. Those books/movies alone contain enough narrative to provide countless attraction ideas.

If it was made into a "land" (Middle Earth), it should go in DHS. That's why I like the idea of Kong on AK, it makes more thematic sense than LOTR or Avatar.

Just my opinion

NoChesterHester

LOTR needs an entire park to realize it's potential. Those books/movies alone contain enough narrative to provide countless attraction ideas.

If it was made into a "land" (Middle Earth), it should go in DHS. That's why I like the idea of Kong on AK, it makes more thematic sense than LOTR or Avatar.

Just my opinion

The same can be said of Harry Potter. Having a lot of source material to pull from is a great problem to have.

I'm all for a fantasy genre being inserted into the studios. Heck, I am all for anything beautiful going into the Studios.

Beholder

The same can be said of Harry Potter. Having a lot of source material to pull from is a great problem to have.

I'm all for a fantasy genre being inserted into the studios. Heck, I am all for anything beautiful
going into the Studios.

Yes, I agree the DHS is ready for just about anything to move it past it's current form. A quality, well themed attraction with obvious staying power that resonates with all ages is welcomed. And needed. A "land" would be great along with a restructuring of the current layout to make things a little more coherent. Give me more Star Wars, Golden era Hollywood, Muppets, Pixar stuff, update Idiana Jones, LMA...meh, and add something new and off the charts.

And please do something with Backlot.

Oh yeah, more attraction specific and unique merchandise.

StageFrenzy

I think the real dilemma with this kind of project would be a combination of the two issues you had mentioned, but for different reasons that you had stated. Take Harry Potter for example. For someone who hasn't read the books or seen the movies, a person can describe to them the main plot so that person can at least comprehend what's going on. Same goes for Avatar, and a majority of other movies as well.

You obviously have never seen clerks two, Randall gives a cliff notes version of the story without saying a word if i remember correctly. Tolkien was instrumental in creating and making High Fantasy a popular genre and I think it's a lot more accessible than you think it is.

Alektronic

To get this thread back on track about Pandora. My friend just got back from working on RSR and he said they are currently doing ride testing for the new attraction. I don't want to give away too many details because it is still in the testing/prototype stage, but it is like a cross between Forbidden Journey and the Pony Express.

RSoxNo1

To get this thread back on track about Pandora. My friend just got back from working on RSR and he said they are currently doing ride testing for the new attraction. I don't want to give away too many details because it is still in the testing/prototype stage, but it is like a cross between Forbidden Journey and the Pony Express.
Interesting, perhaps we would be riding on some of Cameron's animals?

NoChesterHester

That is a very interesting description. I'm trying to reconcile those in my mind.

FJ is a kuka arm on a track + riding an animal. (Or is pony express an actual ride somewhere I'm not aware of?)

Thanks for the info.

Lee

Adventurer
That is a very interesting description. I'm trying to reconcile those in my mind.

FJ is a kuka arm on a track + riding an animal. (Or is pony express an actual ride somewhere I'm not aware of?)

Thanks for the info.
It is a ride. Google Pony Express at Knott's Berry Farm.
I'm imagining that on some sort of motion base.

DisneyWall-E

And, to take this thread back off track. So when they were talking about a Tron ride/coaster all they would have to do is exchange the horse themed seats and put in light cycles. Was that what they were thinking about? Im just curious.

Lee

Adventurer
And, to take this thread back off track. So when they were talking about a Tron ride/coaster all they would have to do is exchange the horse themed seats and put in light cycles. Was that what they were thinking about? Im just curious.
Not exactly, but kinda close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom