AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Prototype82

I don't know how we missed this before, but we have all overlooked the obvious merchandise opportunities for World of Avatar: Pandora Bracelets.
NN8869.jpg

montyz81

I'm sure it was fantastic. J.K. Rowling just wanted full creative control and Disney wasn't willing to relinquish it. Universal, on the other hand, had nothing to lose. Guess that shows which of the two companies make smarter business decisions.
Here is my theory... It seems that TDO is becoming much like GM in the 70's and 80's. GM Management were so disconnected from the buying public, they didn't see any need to invest in small car technology.. (See Chevy Chevette, Chevy Citation). The management truly believed that GM could design and build anything and people would still come. Toyota was not a threat by any means in their minds. Fast forward today.. TDO seem to feel because they are the number one visited destination in the world, they can dumb down, design down, imagineer down anything and people will still come. For GM it took till they were bankrupt to slap them in the head. Is TDO in for the same thing?

I don't know about this Avatar idea, but I my opinion, this is one of those things that we will have to see to understand. Many Disney attractions sounded crazy when they were imagined, but when in fruition, were very nice. I guess I will just wait for an update (with concept art) before jumping into the ideas of Avatar... I would actually favor something from the natural world (real world animals) coming to Animal Kingdom. There is one thing that Disney has not decided to use in Animal Kingdom yet. Brother Bear was a Disney film from the nineties and it made giganibunches of money and a sequel. Why have they not jumped on something like that yet? The opportunities are there for this, but Avatar- in Animal Kingdom? Not a match whatsoever. I guess since Pandora was such a forest planet, and AK is centered around the natural surroundings that it may be a no-brainer for the Imagineer who suggested such a addition.

Jim Handy

Here is my theory... It seems that TDO is becoming much like GM in the 70's and 80's. GM Management were so disconnected from the buying public, they didn't see any need to invest in small car technology.. (See Chevy Chevette, Chevy Citation). The management truly believed that GM could design and build anything and people would still come. Toyota was not a threat by any means in their minds. Fast forward today.. TDO seem to feel because they are the number one visited destination in the world, they can dumb down, design down, imagineer down anything and people will still come. For GM it took till they were bankrupt to slap them in the head. Is TDO in for the same thing?
You could even compare how WDW is run to how GM was run up until the Government stepped in.

No innovation. No direction. No belief that there were competitors who posed a threat. And we all know what happened with GM.

But now GM is putting out top notch vehicles. Better than Toyota, Honda and all the other brands they've ever gone up against. They woke up. We just have to hope WDW wakes up and decides they want to take themselves seriously once again.

BigThunderMatt

For GM it took till they were bankrupt to slap them in the head. Is TDO in for the same thing?

I don't know if TDO would ever hit the point of bankruptcy. I do feel, however, that what is going on in Orlando right now is akin to what was happening in Anaheim in the late 90's/early 2000's before Matt Ouimet took over. It's getting to a point right now where eventually there will be a shift, and hopefully for the better. The right people, preferably those who have front-line as well as managerial experience in the parks, need to be put in the right positions for WDW to get back on track to the way things used to be.

Right now there is too much focus on numbers, spreadsheets, and surveys, and not nearly enough on creativity. Limited area budgets are being blown on all manner of asinine, non-guest related changes mostly in the name of safety (more appropriately litigation and workmans comp avoidance), and while the company still touts show as one of its primary cornerstones, it gets shunted to third place behind courtesy and guest convenience and is often ignored or downplayed as temporary or for the greater good in providing that 'magical guest experience'.

The company needs to really practice what they preach and realize that they're entering a downward spiral from which escape is excruciatingly difficult. As they continue to alienate long-time visitors with lack of new offerings and poor upkeep of what they currently have, coupled with the less-than-desirable clientele of 1st time 1-day-only guests they seem to attract in throngs, it will only be more difficult to bring these issues to a screeching halt and put it in full reverse. Hopefully, someday soon, someone with the foresight to see the changes that need to be made will be placed in a position where they are capable of initiating those changes.

El Grupo

I don't know if TDO would ever hit the point of bankruptcy. I do feel, however, that what is going on in Orlando right now is akin to what was happening in Anaheim in the late 90's/early 2000's before Matt Ouimet took over. It's getting to a point right now where eventually there will be a shift, and hopefully for the better. The right people, preferably those who have front-line as well as managerial experience in the parks, need to be put in the right positions for WDW to get back on track to the way things used to be.

Right now there is too much focus on numbers, spreadsheets, and surveys, and not nearly enough on creativity. Limited area budgets are being blown on all manner of asinine, non-guest related changes mostly in the name of safety (more appropriately litigation and workmans comp avoidance), and while the company still touts show as one of its primary cornerstones, it gets shunted to third place behind courtesy and guest convenience and is often ignored or downplayed as temporary or for the greater good in providing that 'magical guest experience'.

The company needs to really practice what they preach and realize that they're entering a downward spiral from which escape is excruciatingly difficult. As they continue to alienate long-time visitors with lack of new offerings and poor upkeep of what they currently have, coupled with the less-than-desirable clientele of 1st time 1-day-only guests they seem to attract in throngs, it will only be more difficult to bring these issues to a screeching halt and put it in full reverse. Hopefully, someday soon, someone with the foresight to see the changes that need to be made will be placed in a position where they are capable of initiating those changes.

I agree with the comparison to Anaheim. I joined Disney in the late 80s and made my first trip to DL shortly thereafter. After having previously visited WDW for several years, the initial trip to the Southern Cal park was eye-opening and disheartening. However, I did get to witness the long recovery there (and slow decline in Orlando).

Having seen DL bounce back, I know WDW can do it as well. I just hope it doesn't take as long.

montyz81

You could even compare how WDW is run to how GM was run up until the Government stepped in.

No innovation. No direction. No belief that there were competitors who posed a threat. And we all know what happened with GM.

But now GM is putting out top notch vehicles. Better than Toyota, Honda and all the other brands they've ever gone up against. They woke up. We just have to hope WDW wakes up and decides they want to take themselves seriously once again.
That very well may be, but the damage is done. GM and Ford are in a world of hurt right now. They are again starting to loose sales because there are only just as good as the competition. It is tough to get yourself out of a hole. They did see an uptick last year but that is because the Asian automakers were cut off at the knees because of supply. The point I am making here is that TDO could get to a point of complacency that puts them on par with the competition. That will make it less worth the time spent on property. I would speculate that the thing that keeps them going right now is the supply demand thing. There is so much to do on property vs Universal and Sea World, that the numbers will always look good. I bet if those two parks had as much to do as WDW even with the less quality rides, Park numbers would be down at WDW significantly. The variation between the quality of the 2012 WDW product and 2012 Universal product vs the 1990 WDW productand 1990 Universal product is far less in 2012 then in 1990. If Uni had more of it, WDW would be investing more into the park.
By comparison, there is so much more to do in and around Hollywood, that Disneyland had to get back their differentiated product badly.The product looks good right now but is it enough to sustain the momentum against the other things to do.
Hopefully you can all see the point I am trying to make here. TDO just simply doesn't need to do much more then the minimum right now because people are still coming! At some point it will be too late and they will always be fighting against the competition where they do not have to right now.

Beholder

I believe that resting on the legacy and nostalgia of Disney is a dangerous game that TDO is playing. It's far easier to invest on a somewhat regular basis than to wait until the competition pulls even or ahead in terms of quality, relevance, or attendance, perceived or otherwise. "To big to fail" is a myth. Disney is a WONDERFUL place, full of great experiences and memory making opportunities, but I think they should start looking at keeping that edge. Maybe what we are (perhaps?) starting to see is an indication that things are turning around. DTD, AK, DHS and FW in EPCOT need attention. Now.

I'm just hoping that some of the smoke we're starting to see has a little fire at its base. I WANT Disney to ALWAYS be the best. It's my favorite theme park destination and perhaps my favorite destination period, but I'd like to see some of the "trouble"' areas straightened out. And maybe Pandora will be a step in that direction.

Besides, it's fun getting excited about possible NEW attractions at Disney and playing the guessing game.

Cody5294

Avatarland has the potential to be the most visually stunning land at WDW and I think WDI will pull it off. If they do make it glow at night it will without a doubt be amazing. And James Cameron is going to build a e ticket that's going to push technology to the limit knowing him. Tourists are going dig it and since it is a well known property and was liked by a lot of people (92%) approval rating on rottentomatoes.com, it will boost AK attendance for quite some time. WDI will not disappoint because they know how much people are on the fence about it. WDI will fit it with AK's theme and all of the haters will come back and say wow WDI really blew away my expectations . I also believe it will have unique dining which is always a plus :)

RSoxNo1

I love the concept of Beastly Kingdom, but that went away when Expedition Everest opened up (and by all accounts it actually died before that, when IOA opened).

I would much prefer the park be divided into continents and have a Europe themed land that will focus on the mythical creatures of Europe.

Beholder

I used to be a huge Beastly Kingdome advocate, but with Harry Potter, Lost Continent and HP 2, it seems a little redundant. Would I like to see a BK? Yes, but re-imagined with bigger and better ideas and effects. But, that's not happening, so if Avatar is what we get, fine (ish), but make it great. I'm excited by the possibilities and glad AK is getting some attention. Sight line balloons, JR tweets, CMM being moved, it's all pretty exciting to see.

And if this is in reaction/response to Harry Potter, good! WDW needs a fire lit under their nether regions.

Magenta Panther

I used to be a huge Beastly Kingdome advocate, but with Harry Potter, Lost Continent and HP 2, it seems a little redundant. Would I like to see a BK? Yes, but re-imagined with bigger and better ideas and effects. But, that's not happening, so if Avatar is what we get, fine (ish), but make it great. I'm excited by the possibilities and glad AK is getting some attention. Sight line balloons, JR tweets, CMM being moved, it's all pretty exciting to see.

And if this is in reaction/response to Harry Potter, good! WDW needs a fire lit under their nether regions.

Unfortunately, in the case of Avatar, it's likely to be a backfire...

Beholder

Unfortunately, in the case of Avatar, it's likely to be a backfire...

Indeed, you may be right. I hope not, but my enthusiasm is tempered by that shadow of mediocrity that TDO likes to cast from time to time. I prefer a positive outlook however, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Bolna

Right now there is too much focus on numbers, spreadsheets, and surveys, and not nearly enough on creativity.

This really sums up the whole issue. And the problem is: The magic of Walt Disney World is more than just the sum of all it tiny parts and cost centers. It is something intangible which you can only truly understand if you don't lose focus of the whole by concentrating only on its parts. And a lot of the things that all together create the magic are things that don't bring a direct profit, but they are the things which make the guests fall in love with WDW and come back again and again.

Beholder

This really sums up the whole issue. And the problem is: The magic of Walt Disney World is more than just the sum of all it tiny parts and cost centers. It is something intangible which you can only truly understand if you don't lose focus of the whole by concentrating only on its
parts. And a lot of the things that all together
create the magic are things that don't bring a
direct profit, but they are the things which make
the guests fall in love with WDW and come back
again and again.

This is well said. Great post. It IS THE intangibles that make the difference. It's all about the details.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom