AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

stitch2008

And to Cyclone...we're not talking about '74 just "knowin' people who work at the disney parks." This isn't just name dropping some CP CMs...

I just wanna quote this for a second and talk about sources. I think there is always so much commotion about sources and the information one gets.

Generally, I've found over the years that there is only two kinds of information out there; company gossip and half truth. The whole truth is always locked behind a door, in a desk, or in someones brain.

I've heard my fair share of "scoop", as some would call it. But 80% of what I've heard never happened. My first boss taught me how to deal with this stuff. He told me that the only info worth listening to is the info coming from people with no bias. And even then take the time think it over. If your in the right line of work and can find the right kind of people, you'll know what I'm talking about.

As for Avatar, yeah maybe it will get derailed. But I don't believe, from what little I hear, that it will. The general feel in the industry is that it's a forgone conclusion that DAK was gonna have a new land before too long. I got that feeling at IAAPA 2010. So I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that is going to be cancelled. Not when I have heard that outside people were being brought in.

So sources are great I guess; if you can find the good ones. But for me, the good sources are never inside a park(if that hints at where the good sources are:lookaroun)

This isn't an attack at 74, Cyclone, Raven, Lee, whoever. Just my view on "sources".

Lee

Adventurer
Generally, I've found over the years that there is only two kinds of information out there; company gossip and half truth. The whole truth is always locked behind a door, in a desk, or in someones brain.
Not always. Sometimes the "whole truth" finds its way out and into the hands of people like....well...sometimes me. It can be in the form of either a verbal confirmation or hard documentation, and is always the most reliable sort of information.

I've heard my fair share of "scoop", as some would call it. But 80% of what I've heard never happened. My first boss taught me how to deal with this stuff. He told me that the only info worth listening to is the info coming from people with no bias. And even then take the time think it over. If your in the right line of work and can find the right kind of people, you'll know what I'm talking about.
Agreed. I've pointed out such here on many occasions.
Never take what anyone on a message board says as gospel. Always run it through a filter based on who the poster is, what type of information it is, and simply your own good sense.

Few, if any, posters will outright lie about something. There is usually at least some truth to all the information that is provided, but as we always say, with a company like Disney...until it actually happens...it might not.

As for Avatar in particular...it's hard to say with any certainty. I do know that there have been some issues with it's design, budget, etc. That is certainly not enough to say that it will be cancelled, but enough to say that we need to wait for more information before deciding one way or the other. At this point is is all speculation. In some cases very educated speculation, but still....

WDW1974

Booo. Hiss.

That New Years Eve back and forth with Bullsfortheloss was great reading over a glass of Pinot...

I was blindly hoping for some entertainment. One can only discuss why Disney didnt put the Test Track refurb on the online operational schedule for so long until ones head explodes.

Perhaps I need another hobby.

I know ... I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'm just not really that into it.

It takes a much shorter time span for me to tire of playing than it once did ... must be middle age taking over.:eek:

Besides, are you willing to play with the moron when I leave for Europe? See, not so much fun then, right?:D

WDW1974

You sure you don't mean Taco Bell? Can you get me one of those new Doritos Locos Tacos?

As for me, I'm headed to the Moon. I'm researching a new anti-gravity attraction Imagineering is working on for Epcot. It will be funded by the Russian space program.

What a funny 'wittle troll.

I try and stay away from Taco Bell, but enjoy Del Taco and the overpriced Chipotle a lot.

I'll be wishing you MAGICal travels to the moon when I'm on my top one percent 'imaginary' trip to Europe, realizing that you've probably never gone beyond the east coast of the USA ... if that. :wave:

WDW1974

Not always. Sometimes the "whole truth" finds its way out and into the hands of people like....well...sometimes me. It can be in the form of either a verbal confirmation or hard documentation, and is always the most reliable sort of information.

Exactly. I can't vouch for all of the 'insiders' here, but I know that Lee, Martin and myself don't put info out just based on rumor of watercooler talk at the WDI trailers or even 1401 Flower ... sometimes info changes, but when we put stuff out, it is up to the minute most accurate that we have.

Sometimes, info can be good and misread at the same time too.

Agreed. I've pointed out such here on many occasions.
Never take what anyone on a message board says as gospel. Always run it through a filter based on who the poster is, what type of information it is, and simply your own good sense.

Few, if any, posters will outright lie about something. There is usually at least some truth to all the information that is provided, but as we always say, with a company like Disney...until it actually happens...it might not.

As for Avatar in particular...it's hard to say with any certainty. I do know that there have been some issues with it's design, budget, etc. That is certainly not enough to say that it will be cancelled, but enough to say that we need to wait for more information before deciding one way or the other. At this point is is all speculation. In some cases very educated speculation, but still....

Yep.

And that IS the Avatar scoop. It isn't dead. But it is quite possibly never going to get off the ground ... regardless of what Bob Iger tells people when put on the spot.

There have been major issues between WDI and Cameron on the scope, price, direction and timeline of the project that has led to no confidence on either side and many saying it would be better to just let it die.

I'd place the odds of it happening at 30/70 against at this point.

Yes, speculation ... but highly educated speculation.

Jim Possible

Speaking as someone who isn't a fan of the film, but can see possibility in what the Imagineers could do with the Avatar world: I'd rather they take all that cash and "fix" Epcot.

So no, Avatarama's cancellation wouldn't break my heart. So long as Disney reinvests those funds into WDW, and not Disneyland Belgium or whatever.

Just an opinion.

invader

This is what I don't understand. They announced this project six months ago, plan to have it open by 2015, and yet we don't have any renderings at all. Something seems strange, very very strange.

FD.

Pentacat

There have been major issues between WDI and Cameron on the scope, price, direction and timeline of the project that has led to no confidence on either side and many saying it would be better to just let it die.

I'd place the odds of it happening at 30/70 against at this point.

Didn't Disney fumble the deal with J.K. Rowling under similar circumstances? The whole "we know theme parks better than you and everybody else" routine works great until someone proves you wrong. How desperate does this make Disney look to offset the popularity of Potterland? They obviously had a very informal agreement in place to have had this many problems after such a public announcement. Considering Disney's usual stance of deny everything as long as possible it just stinks of trying to steal the limelight back from Universal.

And why would James Cameron be open to compromise is any way? He's the one with the creative vision for this franchise and he's already made hundreds of millions off just one Avatar movie.

So look for Avatar coming to Universal Parks sometime in 2016?

Gregoryp73

This is what I don't understand. They announced this project six months ago, plan to have it open by 2015, and yet we don't have any renderings at all. Something seems strange, very very strange.

FD.

To me it sounds very Disney-esque :shrug:

I wouldn't imagine we'll see any renderings until they break ground, or until our insiders here break some legs.:lookaroun

Lee

Adventurer
Lee has said Universal had no real interest in it.
No interest at all. They don't need the IP or the headache.

To me it sounds very Disney-esque :shrug:

I wouldn't imagine we'll see any renderings until they break ground, or until our insiders here break some legs.:lookaroun
Hmmm...leg breaking...might be worth a try.
But I'd rather just rely on my usual mix of charm and subterfuge.

disnyfan89

koma-comic-strip-mother-of-god.jpg

<3DisneyBBOH

I wonder what attractions they will make from this.But it still sounds cool:) ...by the way how do u put a picture on your user thingy?:confused::veryconfu:veryconfu:confused::veryconfu

Wait a minute, Disney wouldn't announce something and then not build it right?.....That's just not like them. :brick:

For anyone in the know, why did they announce this without first entirely consulting with Cameron? That's what I don't get. If it was simply to test fan reaction well then that was extremely negative. I feel like it had to be something else. Just suggesting here but perhaps there were those in the company who wanted a big blockbuster announcement to try and take some attention from Universal? Why else rush this announcement prematurely:shrug:

stitch2008

Wait a minute, Disney wouldn't announce something and then not build it right?.....That's just not like them. :brick:

For anyone in the know, why did they announce this without first entirely consulting with Cameron? That's what I don't get. If it was simply to test fan reaction well then that was extremely negative. I feel like it had to be something else. Just suggesting here but perhaps there were those in the company who wanted a big blockbuster announcement to try and take some attention from Universal? Why else rush this announcement prematurely:shrug:

They sold Cameron on an idea and they came to a basic agreement. It's the process of detailing every little thing that's the problem. I have no doubt Cameron and Disney are having disagreements. It happens all the time in the industry. And not just with big name directors and people like that. It happens with parks and designers. Take Hulk at Universal for example. Universal wanted Hulk to launch as it does now. B&M did not because they were not believers in launch systems because they weren't reliable. The story goes things got so tense in those early design stages that B&M almost refused to do the whole coaster. A couple people say Universal even looked into S&S's thrust air coaster as an alternative. Now a deal with B&M obviously was struck, but it wasn't easy.

People in this industry clash all the time. You really just have to wait and see I think.

dxwwf3

Very depressing to hear that this might not actually happen. As I said before, I am looking forward to this addition more than anything done in a Disney park since the New Tomorrowland of 1994. And, if done correctly, I think this land could be the best work that Disney has done since the additions in New Tomorrowland. Hopefully everything works out!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom