News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

MoonRakerSCM

I was already assuming this, but found another little glimmer of evidence... based upon this random image of the Muppets preshow area facing west-
1724540149201.png

The doors are on the western side of the building (see the sunlight shining through the crack?)

So, I think this is the outline of the actual footprint of the attraction-
1724540816755.png

I am unfamiliar with the blueprints of the building, but I recall the Muppet entrance having an angle to it like that (where the glasses are given). I assume there is a small backstage hallway that allows items to be brought into the shop and Award Wieners. Probably like as shown here-

1724541034719.jpeg

MoonRakerSCM

I found the article where we've seen the complete map showing the curve. Does anyone have access to this article for the full image? I recall at the time this was being shown, I think it may have been Darkbeer as well who saw it in person and was told by in person discussions that the turn was to be designed as such.

Best I can get from Google-
1724541397621.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I found the article where we've seen the complete map showing the curve. Does anyone have access to this article for the full image? I recall at the time this was being shown, I think it may have been Darkbeer as well who saw it in person and was told by in person discussions that the turn was to be designed as such.

Best I can get from Google-
View attachment 811504
Yes, that is the basically the same image I just posted above.

Here it is again from that OC Article -

EGW.png

I put a red arrow in what you're referring to as the "curve" but notice it doesn't actually connect. So even at the time they didn't have it planned out yet how it would reconnect. Which leads me to believe they didn't think it would be a sharp S curve either, otherwise they would have it shown as reconnecting in the image.

mickEblu

I was already assuming this, but found another little glimmer of evidence... based upon this random image of the Muppets preshow area facing west-
View attachment 811498
The doors are on the western side of the building (see the sunlight shining through the crack?)

So, I think this is the outline of the actual footprint of the attraction-
View attachment 811501

I am unfamiliar with the blueprints of the building, but I recall the Muppet entrance having an angle to it like that (where the glasses are given). I assume there is a small backstage hallway that allows items to be brought into the shop and Award Wieners. Probably like as shown here-

View attachment 811502

Thanks much easier to see now. Wow that is all Philharmagic.

MoonRakerSCM

The plan has nothing within the DCA footprint, only the background aerial image. Disney did not print this version showing anything within the park footprint at all. That doesn't show Disney not knowing what they intended to do, but that they did not include any details within the park footprint. What they do have is the monorail to the very border in a due north-south manner (solid red line below). The transparent red is the existing monorail. How would they connect the two?

1724543093183.png

I've noted in this thread before, that alignment lines up exactly with a 120ft diameter circle (yellow circle above)... which just so happens to be exactly the diameter turns that the monorail does every day above the Autopia.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The plan has nothing within the DCA footprint, only the background aerial image. Disney did not print this version showing anything within the park footprint at all. That doesn't show Disney not knowing what they intended to do, but that they did not include any details within the park footprint. What they do have is the monorail to the very border in a due north-south manner (solid red line below). The transparent red is the existing monorail. How would they connect the two?

View attachment 811507
I've noted in this thread before, that alignment lines up exactly with a 120ft diameter circle (yellow circle above)... which just so happens to be exactly the diameter turns that the monorail does every day above the Autopia.
I understand your point, and don't disagree with this. Maybe I misunderstood how you guys were drawing it before. This where its connecting on the left side of the building to the left of Monsters appears to be a more gradual curve, as you pointed out, just like over the Autopia.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

The purple is a bit wide (north to south) and has a bit of the hotdog/store in it, also it includes most of the current western entrance to the backlot. So it's just about right size wise when considering the Muppet footprint and existing backlot entrance area. Just as with the land itself, size with some creativeness, it can work.

I suspect that Philharmagic will survive for a while (with its exit becoming a hall heading directly to Hollywood Blvd... but its long term days... will be numbered.
IIRC during D23 they mentioned that the Avatar land would evolve alongside future releases. Perhaps the Philarmagic spot could be saved as a phase 2 attraction.

Any change it might become a stand alone attraction for Hollywood Boulevard possibly as well?

MoonRakerSCM

What will be interesting is how they approach this land... at AK the theme is you're visiting Pandora as part of a new expedition company tour that is conducting tourism to the valley (land) as a form of environmental and cultural outreach. I actually like how much they went into this easily overlooked aspect to make it 'fit' into AK.

I have a feeling we're going to have something more along the lines of this just being an 'avatar land' that you've stepped into.

mickEblu

IIRC during D23 they mentioned that the Avatar land would evolve alongside future releases. Perhaps the Philarmagic spot could be saved as a phase 2 attraction.

Any change it might become a stand alone attraction for Hollywood Boulevard possibly as well?

I wanna say Philharmagic will survive for the short term and eventually become a second Avatar attraction but It’s hard to say how things end up. Maybe if the Hyperion goes away for another Marvel attraction they decide it’s worth keeping one theatre around? It doesn’t seem like Hollywood Blvd survives all this. The obvious move would just be to have the street be an extension of BVS. All the remaining attractions would be in theme. BVS/ Hollywood Facades would stay up and eventually house an assortment of Avatar, Marvel and BVS attractions depending what the plan is. But who knows? They re renaming Critter Country to Bayou Country. Don’t trust them to do what makes sense or to take the path of least resistance. They’ve proven they’ll spend money and do things that they absolutely do not need to do.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

I wanna say Philharmagic will survive for the short term and eventually become a second Avatar attraction but It’s hard to say how things end up. Maybe if the Hyperion goes away for another Marvel attraction they decide it’s worth keeping one theatre around? It doesn’t seem like Hollywood Blvd survives all this. The obvious move would just be to have the street be an extension of BVS. All the remaining attractions would be in theme. BVS/ Hollywood Facades would stay up and eventually house an assortment of Avatar, Marvel and BVS attractions depending what the plan is. But who knows? They re renaming Critter Country to Bayou Country. Don’t trust them to do what makes sense or to take the path of least resistance. They’ve proven they’ll spend money and do things that they absolutely do not need to do.
4D theater attractions don't and never did pull well at DLR. So IMO, raze Philiarmagic and use it for a D ticket Avatar attraction.

Question is, what type of attraction could it be. Could a small dark ride logistically fit in that spot or would it have to be a smaller version of Smugglers Run instead?

captveg

I could be wrong, but as I recall that was all speculation on "our" part at the time. The EGW plans didn't have that sharp S curve.

This was the image being distributed at the time, obviously things have changed a bit since then but it should still be representative of the overall plan -

View attachment 811503

Notice the faint dotted line just above the sloping path from the bridge across Harbor, I marked it with a red arrow. That is the rerouted monorail, it goes way past the Backlot and if that path continues would connect closer to DTD past the DCA entrance. If it was going to make a sharp S curve it would have to go across the sloping path from the bridge, and I just don't see that happening.
You know, I always seem to forget that the shuttle drop off area is also gained by the theme park with this plan. Allows them to push the new show building and/or restaurant slightly closer to Harbor than the current footprint.

D.Silentu

I like the idea but at the risk of raining on the parade I'd rather they did something with Philharmagic that supports Hollywood Blvd, since the area is shrinking to begin with. Naturally, that assumes they don't intend to alter the street. Avatar land may have only one attraction, but it's one that has the potential of being the best in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom