News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

Professortango1

In the long term I hope there's at least ONE useful idiot at Imagineering that will not allow the Animation Pavilion to be touched...
Given that most of it is shuttered, I'd welcome that large space to be turned into something different. Turtle Talk can move to Pixar Pier as its a small experience that doesn't need much. I'll miss the drawing lessons, but that's it for the building these days.

wityblack

4D theater attractions don't and never did pull well at DLR. So IMO, raze Philiarmagic and use it for a D ticket Avatar attraction.

Question is, what type of attraction could it be. Could a small dark ride logistically fit in that spot or would it have to be a smaller version of Smugglers Run instead?
I was pondering the same thing. If it's an expansion, it has to be a legitimate draw for the land. And if it's a D-ticket, it needs good capacity, which is tough to do in such a small space. Some sort of high-capacity simulator could make sense, given DCA is lacking one (sans Soarin'). Although I imagine Infinity Defense will feel like a simulator at times. Maybe an animatronic show? Not sure Disney feels that's worth the investment in modern times. But imagine a Na'vi version of Tiki room on a larger scale. Have a ceremony that awakens an animatronic Ikran in the middle of the room. Have Pandoran flora blossom, illuminate, and dance in ritualistic ways. Incorporate the Tree of Souls lighting up overhead. Have water features trickle and glow with bioluminescent algae. Mix the emotional crux of Flight of Passage with the environ and practical effects of Na'vi River Journey. I think that would be my dream scenario given the constraints.

truecoat

Yes, that is the basically the same image I just posted above.

Here it is again from that OC Article -

View attachment 811505

I put a red arrow in what you're referring to as the "curve" but notice it doesn't actually connect. So even at the time they didn't have it planned out yet how it would reconnect. Which leads me to believe they didn't think it would be a sharp S curve either, otherwise they would have it shown as reconnecting in the image.

Here's the picture you're looking for.

EG1.jpg

MoonRakerSCM

Ooooo, nice image. So with the line drawn in as shown on that plan (solid red line), with the monorail taking the 120 ft radius curve (transparent yellow line, minus a few degrees from a full 90 on the circle) curves right into the existing track (transparent red) about ~20-25 feet further west from the corner of the building. The clearance of that corner might allow for the monorail to have a few feet of play (it does look a bit further away from the track the the Stage 17 facade)-

1724729768705.png

MistaDee

I like the idea but at the risk of raining on the parade I'd rather they did something with Philharmagic that supports Hollywood Blvd, since the area is shrinking to begin with. Naturally, that assumes they don't intend to alter the street. Avatar land may have only one attraction, but it's one that has the potential of being the best in the park.

I agree, especially with the Red Car Trolley "discontinued" Buena Vista Street is now sorely lacking attractions of its own. It's my favorite part of the DCA 2.0 rebuild, and I really love how it rhymes with Main Street USA and sorta recontextualizes DCA by connecting the theme to Walt's "California Dream"

1724961437909.png

Seems like there's 3 pads that could be redeveloped into attractions for the land:

1. Animation Building + Disney Jr. - I'd love to see some new life breathed into this space, maybe with more of a focus on the early days and technological innovations of Walt Disney Studios from 1923 through Snow White. Honestly, Runaway Railway would have been great to fill this sorta thematic niche

2. Muppetvision/Philharmagic - could very well be future expansion space for Avatar, but would be awesome to have a small dark ride or walkthrough in this space.

3. The Hyperion is probably gone for either Avatar or Avengers, but I'd love to see it remain a venue for stage adaptations of Disney's stories. Musicals in particular seem like a pretty evergreen pipeline of easy to adapt, crowd pleasing productions:

Newsies, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mary Poppins, Aladdin, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, Little Mermaid, Tarzan, Hercules

I'm sure there are tons of properties that would also make for great stage adaptations: Encanto, CoCo, Inside Out?

What sorts of attractions would you all like to see for BVS/Hollywoodland Blvd if the Hyperion is kept alive and new rides or walkthroughs are developed for 1 and 2? A trackless dark ride for plot #1 would be a great addition for a park without that ride system. With Runaway Railway already spoken for, maybe a Howard Hughes take on the Society of Adventurer's & Explorer's in the vein of Mystic Manor, activating all sorts of props and illusions. This will never happen under our current IP only regime.

For plot #2 maybe a new walkthrough focused on a romanticized vision on Walt's 1920s California Dream and the LA that he found. Golden Dreams the walkthrough?

Sadly, at the moment it feels more likely all 3 spaces will eventually be eaten by either Avengers or Avatar.

captveg

I could see them doing a revised exhibit in the Animation building that adds Avatar motion capture animation as a talking point, in particular if they frame the Avatar experience as a "backlot stage" when you're on Hollywood Boulevard outside the land's entrance.

Stitchwald

Hi everyone! Hope this is a fun post for you. I wanted to share my Avatar speculation. Enjoy!

Since Disney released the concept art for Pandora at D23, I have believed Avatar would take over all of Hollywood Land. The Red Car Trolley closure made me believe this even more. To make my case, I took the Shanghai Pirates show building, Satuli Canteen restaurant, Navi River Journey, and the 2017 eastern gateway map and laid it on top of the current Hollywood Land and bus area.

This will not be how the final show buildings will be laid out or have the same dimensions. I grabbed the exact footprints of the buildings. They may not fit exactly well here but the final versions will. I added in the Shanghai Pirates in blue, Satuli Canteen in turquoise, Navi River Journey in red, the proposed 2017 monorail rout in yellow, and the lands main pathway in purple. You can use the following 2 images to get an idea of why I placed the buildings in these areas.

Pandora Map.jpg

Pandora Layout.jpg

The Shanghai Pirates ride is massive and if this is the same ride system the new Avatar E ticket will use, the ride alone will take up the entirety of the current bus area. Leaving only enough room for backstage roads. This alone confirms the Hollywood Backlot will not be the only area this land takes up.

Satuli Canteen fits well in the current Hyperion Theater queue area. The footprint of Satuli contains the indoor and outdoor eating spaces, food purchase area, kitchen, backstage areas, and the guest restrooms.

Disney has not confirmed a second ride for the land but If they do add one, there is enough space for a clone of Navi River Journey or another ride. I placed Navi over the current PhilharMagic theater, Award Wieners restaurant and dining areas, and the Gone Hollywood Store. The queue space stretches into the current street. The queue could be on the second level above the street in the rock work or laid out in a different way.

If this layout proves correct, I am not sure what Disney is going to do with the Disney Jr Theater, Off the Page store, or the Animation Building. This area could be used for another Avatar experience or an expansion to Avengers Campus. It will definitely be used for additional rock work to create a buffer between Pandora and Avengers Campus. They do need to hide Guardians Mission Breakout so it is not seen within Avatar.

On top of adding in the current show buildings in their correct scale, I used the image I created below in the same angle view the concept art is presented. Satuli Canteen is roughly the same size as Pym Test Kitchen in the image, meaning it is an accurate representation of the scale of a restaurant Disney would add. The concept art fits perfectly in this area and so does the E ticket ride position to accommodate its massive show building.

Pandora Aerial View.jpg

People have said Disney can expand Pandora up to the sidewalk of Harbor Blvd but if the 2017 eastern gateway plans are similar to what's going to be executed, Disney us going to use the areas along Harbor for Cast Member drop off and Cast Member shuttle drop off. I am not sure where they are going to have the Cast park once the Pumbaa lot begins the eastern gateway construction, but they will be shuttled in and dropped off in this area. This is needed since the main Cast entrance is right above the current bus area. If you view the first photo, on the right of the image you can see these 2 drop off areas.

I hope this gives everyone an idea of how Pandora might be laid out and how it might take over all of Hollywood Land. If it takes over all of Hollywood, there is still a lot of space Disney could build on. Also if it does take up all of Hollywood Land and the bus area, DCA's Pandora will be larger than Animal Kingdom's. This is my speculation and I have no confirmation on any of this. This is all from my logic that I explained in this post.

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
Hi everyone! Hope this is a fun post for you. I wanted to share my Avatar speculation. Enjoy!

Since Disney released the concept art for Pandora at D23, I have believed Avatar would take over all of Hollywood Land. The Red Car Trolley closure made me believe this even more. To make my case, I took the Shanghai Pirates show building, Satuli Canteen restaurant, Navi River Journey, and the 2017 eastern gateway map and laid it on top of the current Hollywood Land and bus area.

This will not be how the final show buildings will be laid out or have the same dimensions. I grabbed the exact footprints of the buildings. They may not fit exactly well here but the final versions will. I added in the Shanghai Pirates in blue, Satuli Canteen in turquoise, Navi River Journey in red, the proposed 2017 monorail rout in yellow, and the lands main pathway in purple. You can use the following 2 images to get an idea of why I placed the buildings in these areas.

View attachment 812313
View attachment 812314

The Shanghai Pirates ride is massive and if this is the same ride system the new Avatar E ticket will use, the ride alone will take up the entirety of the current bus area. Leaving only enough room for backstage roads. This alone confirms the Hollywood Backlot will not be the only area this land takes up.

Satuli Canteen fits well in the current Hyperion Theater queue area. The footprint of Satuli contains the indoor and outdoor eating spaces, food purchase area, kitchen, backstage areas, and the guest restrooms.

Disney has not confirmed a second ride for the land but If they do add one, there is enough space for a clone of Navi River Journey or another ride. I placed Navi over the current PhilharMagic theater, Award Wieners restaurant and dining areas, and the Gone Hollywood Store. The queue space stretches into the current street. The queue could be on the second level above the street in the rock work or laid out in a different way.

If this layout proves correct, I am not sure what Disney is going to do with the Disney Jr Theater, Off the Page store, or the Animation Building. This area could be used for another Avatar experience or an expansion to Avengers Campus. It will definitely be used for additional rock work to create a buffer between Pandora and Avengers Campus. They do need to hide Guardians Mission Breakout so it is not seen within Avatar.

On top of adding in the current show buildings in their correct scale, I used the image I created below in the same angle view the concept art is presented. Satuli Canteen is roughly the same size as Pym Test Kitchen in the image, meaning it is an accurate representation of the scale of a restaurant Disney would add. The concept art fits perfectly in this area and so does the E ticket ride position to accommodate its massive show building.

View attachment 812315

People have said Disney can expand Pandora up to the sidewalk of Harbor Blvd but if the 2017 eastern gateway plans are similar to what's going to be executed, Disney us going to use the areas along Harbor for Cast Member drop off and Cast Member shuttle drop off. I am not sure where they are going to have the Cast park once the Pumbaa lot begins the eastern gateway construction, but they will be shuttled in and dropped off in this area. This is needed since the main Cast entrance is right above the current bus area. If you view the first photo, on the right of the image you can see these 2 drop off areas.

I hope this gives everyone an idea of how Pandora might be laid out and how it might take over all of Hollywood Land. If it takes over all of Hollywood, there is still a lot of space Disney could build on. Also if it does take up all of Hollywood Land and the bus area, DCA's Pandora will be larger than Animal Kingdom's. This is my speculation and I have no confirmation on any of this. This is all from my logic that I explained in this post.

not to discredit your work in any way, but etc98 also worked on a potential site plan 4 pages back. They’re both very well made plans, but the original keeping some parts of the boulevard for the future seems pretty realistic enough. I think it was @mickEblu suggesting the tunnel from the backlot, which makes a lot of sense. The Red Trolley Closure has more to do worth the Avengers E-ticket construction due to the station being in the same plot of land. Anyways, it all boils down to how big the show building actually is. Is what you have a directly proportional image of the POTC mapped on? Overdoing average is always a big thing, and that applies to both plans. The Harbor pad is about 3-4 acres
I drew up a rough site plan based on the concept art of how this could fit into the Hollywood Backlot and transportation center. The boat ride building is roughly the same size as Shanghai Pirates. I think whoever the other poster was who mentioned that it looks like they are reusing Stage 12 is correct, so I kept that as the land's restaurant.

I wasn't sure whether they would keep two entrances to the land, one between Philharmagic and Schmoozies, and one next to Hyperion Theater, but if they only keep the entrance by the Hyperion, that gives them a much larger expansion pad for a hypothetical second ride taking over that space + Philharmagic. But that's probably too optimistic, and the second entrance will remain as well.

View attachment 810349View attachment 810350

Here are the same labels on the concept art:
View attachment 810357

Stitchwald

not to discredit your work in any way, but etc98 also worked on a potential site plan 4 pages back. They’re both very well made plans, but the original keeping some parts of the boulevard for the future seems pretty realistic enough. I think it was @mickEblu suggesting the tunnel from the backlot, which makes a lot of sense. The Red Trolley Closure has more to do worth the Avengers E-ticket construction due to the station being in the same plot of land. Anyways, it all boils down to how big the show building actually is. Is what you have a directly proportional image of the POTC mapped on? Overdoing average is always a big thing, and that applies to both plans. The Harbor pad is about 3-4 acres
I saw etc98's post and I think they did a great job showing how Avatar could fit in the Backlot and bus area. They could be correct and I could be wrong. I still stand by my theory of Pandora taking up all of Hollywood based on my logic and a few other things.

I have heard enough rumors about the Hyperion Theater closing and how the Red Cars are closing for either a few years or permanently due to the tracks being removed from Hollywood. If Hollywood were staying, the Red Cars storage building could be relocated by the parade gate next to Guardians. Disney would only need to add 300 feet of track to connect the building to the existing route. They could start that now and have the trolleys reopened by next summer. They are not doing this though and the entire cast who works the Trolleys have been told operations will be discontinued in January.

etc98 drew up the E Ticket show building to be roughly 1.5 acres. This is smaller than Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean. If Disney were to use the same ride system as Shanghai, the ride would be half the length. The Pirates building in Shanghai is 3.4 acres and this is not including the attached restaurant. etc98 could be right though and the attraction could be a smaller version. This is not what D23 said about this project through. They said this is going to be grand.

The map I attached is directly proportional to the show buildings I added onto it. I also walked Hollywood Land and the Backlot to make me believe more in my theory. The backlot is too small to house a major restaurant, major ride, lake, and experiences. Hollywood Land together with the bus area does provide the land for Avatar to be the grand scale Disney is promoting.

Again just my speculation. I love trying to figure things out.

Last edited:

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
I saw etc98's post and I think they did a great job showing how Avatar could fit in the Backlot and bus area. They could be correct and I could be wrong. I still stand by my theory of Pandora taking up all of Hollywood based on my logic and a few other things.

I have heard enough rumors about the Hyperion Theater closing and how the Red Cars are closing for either a few years or permanently due to the tracks being removed from Hollywood. If Hollywood were staying, the Red Cars storage building could be relocated by the parade gate next to Guardians. Disney would only need to add 300 feet of track to connect the building to the existing route. They could start that now and have the trolleys reopened by next summer. They are not doing this though and the entire cast who works the Trolleys have been told operations will be discontinued in January.

etc98 drew up the E Ticket show building to be roughly 1.5 achers. This is smaller than Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean. If Disney were to use the same ride system as Shanghai, the ride would be half the length. The Pirates building in Shanghai is 3.4 achers and this is not including the attached restaurant. etc98 could be right though and the attraction could be a smaller version. This is not what D23 said about this project through. They said this is going to be grand.

The map I attached is directly proportional to the show buildings I added onto it. I also walked Hollywood Land and the Backlot to make me believe more in my theory. The backlot is too small to house a major restaurant, major ride, lake, and experiences. Hollywood Land together with the bus area does provide the land for Avatar to be the grand scale Disney is promoting.

Again just my speculation. I love trying to figure things out.
1724993198250.png
1724993324764.png

You are correct about the size of the POTC building, but there is still plenty of space in the backlot area, including the Monsters Inc building and the two other massive buildings. POTC is about 3.63 acres, including what I believe to be extra facilites for shopping/dining/queue. A rough but not exact layout of the show building can be placed in that Harbor pad, which is 3.76 acres. Not the exact same shape, but shows that you are right about it fitting on that pad. The backlot however is about the same size as the show building pad, which brings the total land to about 7.5 acres. The area of the land itself not including the show building would be the same as the Avatar land in AK, so there's no real need (yet) to move into the Hollywood Boulevard.

Please note that I'm not arguing with you or against your ideas which are great, I'm just adding food for thought onto the table

TheDisneyParksfanC8

If Avatar just takes up the backlot and spares the Hyperion, I wonder if the endgame here is to fold that along with the animation building and Disney Junior into Avengers Campus.

Stitchwald

View attachment 812332 View attachment 812334
You are correct about the size of the POTC building, but there is still plenty of space in the backlot area, including the Monsters Inc building and the two other massive buildings. POTC is about 3.63 acres, including what I believe to be extra facilites for shopping/dining/queue. A rough but not exact layout of the show building can be placed in that Harbor pad, which is 3.76 acres. Not the exact same shape, but shows that you are right about it fitting on that pad. The backlot however is about the same size as the show building pad, which brings the total land to about 7.5 acres. The area of the land itself not including the show building would be the same as the Avatar land in AK, so there's no real need (yet) to move into the Hollywood Boulevard.

Please note that I'm not arguing with you or against your ideas which are great, I'm just adding food for thought onto the table
Hey! No argument here. Just explaining why I have a different opinion than others. We are all good. I like these types of conversations because it makes me think and realize other things.

The green perimeter you have for the bus area is not what Disney had in their 2017 eastern gateway plans. The plans could have changed but if we stick to the 2017 plans, the perimeter is smaller. The image below is yours and I added the blueprints over it. You added the green perimeter, the yellow is the 2017 perimeter, and the blue would be the perimeter of the show building. There needs to be an access road around the building. The blue perimeter of the show building would be the closest it could get to the yellow perimeter. This would give the show building about 2.3 acres of space. This could still work and the show building could be located within the blue. I still think it would make the land tight if it's in the backlot. But knowing Disney they could make the area look larger with forced perspective.

2 cross 3.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hey! No argument here. Just explaining why I have a different opinion than others. We are all good. I like these types of conversations because it makes me think and realize other things.

The green perimeter you have for the bus area is not what Disney had in their 2017 eastern gateway plans. The plans could have changed but if we stick to the 2017 plans, the perimeter is smaller. The image below is yours and I added the blueprints over it. You added the green perimeter, the yellow is the 2017 perimeter, and the blue would be the perimeter of the show building. There needs to be an access road around the building. The blue perimeter of the show building would be the closest it could get to the yellow perimeter. This would give the show building about 2.3 acres of space. This could still work and the show building could be located within the blue. I still think it would make the land tight if it's in the backlot. But knowing Disney they could make the area look larger with forced perspective.

View attachment 812341
I don't believe there is anything that says they are required to have to an access road along the entire backside of the show building in that yellow perimeter you put in that image. There will likely be an offset of course, but it doesn't have to be a full 2 lane access road. Now that's not to say there won't be one. But if Disney is wanting to maximize space they could go almost right to the edge of that yellow perimeter you have outlined and still have enough space for an access area to the back of the show building.

Stitchwald

I don't believe there is anything that says they are required to have to an access road along the entire backside of the show building in that yellow perimeter you put in that image. There will likely be an offset of course, but it doesn't have to be a full 2 lane access road. Now that's not to say there won't be one. But if Disney is wanting to maximize space they could go almost right to the edge of that yellow perimeter you have outlined and still have enough space for an access area to the back of the show building.
The access roads are for fire/medical emergencies on top of operations. If the building goes up against the pedestrian pathway, there would need to be a way for the fire department to access the pathway easily. If there is a dedicated plan to have a ramp for the fire department up to the pathway, then there doesn't need to be an access road. This is from my understanding and I am possibly not 100% correct. If Disney needs the room, I am sure they will accommodate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom