News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The access roads are for fire/medical emergencies on top of operations. If the building goes up against the pedestrian pathway, there would need to be a way for the fire department to access the pathway easily. If there is a dedicated plan to have a ramp for the fire department up to the pathway, then there doesn't need to be an access road. This is from my understanding and I am possibly not 100% correct. If Disney needs the room, I am sure they will accommodate.
That doesn't mean it has to be a two lane access road that goes around that side of the show building, a simple offset will do for those purposes. As there are plenty of buildings onsite that don't have an access road on all sides. Not to mention that the backside of the building would likely be accessible from the Harbor side entrance via that offset, as it won't be completely blocked off, so an access road is still likely not needed.

Stitchwald

That doesn't mean it has to be a two lane access road that goes around that side of the show building, a simple offset will do for those purposes. As there are plenty of buildings onsite that don't have an access road on all sides. Not to mention that the backside of the building would likely be accessible from the Harbor side entrance via that offset, as it won't be completely blocked off, so an access road is still likely not needed.
Yeah, maybe there doesn't need to be a 2 lane access road. I am not sure about the exact details. Buildings need to have access on a majority of the sides. Some have access from within the park where a fire/ambulance can drive through the park on dedicated routs if needed. The E Ticket will be a massive show building so most of the fire/medical access points will be backstage.

mlayton144

Yeah, maybe there doesn't need to be a 2 lane access road. I am not sure about the exact details. Buildings need to have access on a majority of the sides. Some have access from within the park where a fire/ambulance can drive through the park on dedicated routs if needed. The E Ticket will be a massive show building so most of the fire/medical access points will be backstage.
I would think anything that massive would certainly need a full 2 lane road , at minimum enough space for a fire truck to enter and turn around in place to exit

MistaDee

Hey! No argument here. Just explaining why I have a different opinion than others. We are all good. I like these types of conversations because it makes me think and realize other things.

The green perimeter you have for the bus area is not what Disney had in their 2017 eastern gateway plans. The plans could have changed but if we stick to the 2017 plans, the perimeter is smaller. The image below is yours and I added the blueprints over it. You added the green perimeter, the yellow is the 2017 perimeter, and the blue would be the perimeter of the show building. There needs to be an access road around the building. The blue perimeter of the show building would be the closest it could get to the yellow perimeter. This would give the show building about 2.3 acres of space. This could still work and the show building could be located within the blue. I still think it would make the land tight if it's in the backlot. But knowing Disney they could make the area look larger with forced perspective.

View attachment 812341

I appreciate the work you did putting those images together, Disney clearly has a lot of space at their disposal if they choose to expand into the Hyperion and Philharmagic

That said, my hypothesis would be that Disney would prioritize its future optionality by preserving Philharmagic and the Hyperion to use for future expansion. Even without those spaces the plot of land is quite large. How much room would be needed for backstage or access roads is debatable, but it's at least 6-7 acres.

Given Anaheim is Disney's most space constrained park, I think it's well within the realm of possibility that they employ a little more creativity towards how they use the space:

- Backstage access could be achieved with new utilidor tunnels

- Disney could dig down for the show building and have parts of the walkable land on top, or even some of the water features, they could also use the additional vertical space to add a second level within the showbuilding.

- Dining and retail offerings can be integrated into showbuildings and rockwork to share services and save space. At first blush your proposed site map positions the dining in a very inefficient manner, I think it's highly probably Disney adapts Stage 12 as a canteen style restaurant

Given the space they do have, I expect they'll be able to fit everything comfortably within the footprint excluding Philharmagic and the Hyperion so the solutions above likely aren't necessary, but if they do want to cram as much capacity as possible (please!) then I think they have options to do so that will preserve sites for Avatar Phase 2 and Marvel Phase 3(?)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah, maybe there doesn't need to be a 2 lane access road. I am not sure about the exact details. Buildings need to have access on a majority of the sides.
Yeah I don't know if that is actually true or not, might want to double check on the actual details. Plenty of modern buildings outside of DLR are built without access on the majority of sides. On-property, TDA building for example butts up against the I-5 on its entire backside and is not accessible.

Not to mention there is an access road already set just to the right of the area that isn't going anywhere, its the one that goes under the Harbor entrance between the two Parks. That would give enough space for fire/emergency access if needed.

Now all of this is not to say you are wrong and there won't be some type of access, as I mentioned it could be a simple offset. I'm just saying that I don't think it's 100% needing to be a full access road around that side of the building.

Gusey

If Avatar is going into the Backlot, any chance the rest of Hollywood Land could become part of Buena Vista Street, or will it be like Commisary Lane at HS and renamed simply Hollywood Bouelvard?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If Avatar is going into the Backlot, any chance the rest of Hollywood Land could become part of Buena Vista Street, or will it be like Commisary Lane at HS and renamed simply Hollywood Bouelvard?
The "street" from BVS to the backlot is already called Hollywood Boulevard.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I meant Hollywood Land gets renamed Hollywood Boulevard, as that will be all that remains
I would just think it stays, at least for now, Hollywood Land. But yes I could see them just renaming it to Hollywood Blvd if they want to differentiate it from the "old" Hollywood Land.

Stitchwald

I appreciate the work you did putting those images together, Disney clearly has a lot of space at their disposal if they choose to expand into the Hyperion and Philharmagic

That said, my hypothesis would be that Disney would prioritize its future optionality by preserving Philharmagic and the Hyperion to use for future expansion. Even without those spaces the plot of land is quite large. How much room would be needed for backstage or access roads is debatable, but it's at least 6-7 acres.

Given Anaheim is Disney's most space constrained park, I think it's well within the realm of possibility that they employ a little more creativity towards how they use the space:

- Backstage access could be achieved with new utilidor tunnels

- Disney could dig down for the show building and have parts of the walkable land on top, or even some of the water features, they could also use the additional vertical space to add a second level within the showbuilding.

- Dining and retail offerings can be integrated into showbuildings and rockwork to share services and save space. At first blush your proposed site map positions the dining in a very inefficient manner, I think it's highly probably Disney adapts Stage 12 as a canteen style restaurant

Given the space they do have, I expect they'll be able to fit everything comfortably within the footprint excluding Philharmagic and the Hyperion so the solutions above likely aren't necessary, but if they do want to cram as much capacity as possible (please!) then I think they have options to do so that will preserve sites for Avatar Phase 2 and Marvel Phase 3(?)
I would love for DCA to use utilidor tunnels and underground show buildings. They did this in Tomorrowland back in the 60s with the submarines below Autopia. If they were as creative as before and spent the money, this could be a great opportunity to condense the entire land and leave space for future expansion. Hears hoping they use the space as efficiently as possible. I also hope Disneyland goes back to building onto of each other going forward.

As of now, until Disney tells us the land is 8 or more acres, we can assume it's going in the backlot. If Disney comes out and tells us the land is 8 or more acres, then we will have confirmation that it is taking up more than just the backlot.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As of now, until Disney tells us the land is 8 or more acres, we can assume it's going in the backlot. If Disney comes out and tells us the land is 8 or more acres, then we will have confirmation that it is taking up more than just the backlot.
Has Disney ever said the exact acreage of a land previously? I can't think of a time in the past that that happened, so unless you can I don't foresee them telling us anything other than "Hey its going in this location" when they are ready to start construction.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Dave from Fresh Baked Disney went on OrangeGrove55's YT channel to discuss the future of DCA and this came up: Dave claims he has heard from sources that they are still undecided on where to put Avatar at DCA and it will depend on the scale of what they want to do on whether or not it goes into HL or the Simba lot.

Apparently Disney has backup plans for HL if Avatar goes into Simba. I wonder what that could be, maybe a clone of Monsters or Zootopia or perhaps something exclusive to DCA entirely?

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Dave from Fresh Baked Disney went on OrangeGrove55's YT channel to discuss the future of DCA and this came up: Dave claims he has heard from sources that they are still undecided on where to put Avatar at DCA and it will depend on the scale of what they want to do on whether or not it goes into HL or the Simba lot.

Apparently Disney has backup plans for HL if Avatar goes into Simba. I wonder what that could be, maybe a clone of Monsters or Zootopia or perhaps something exclusive to DCA entirely?
I watched his latest video on the Red Car Trolly and bro is in a major state of denial. He just assumes it won't fit (despite multiple people here overlaying the concept are to Google Maps and showing it does fit) because he doesn't personally like it being there and wants to see other things in the backlot.

He also believes that his channel is the sole reason Disney makes any decisions around the parks, so what do I know.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I watched his latest video on the Red Car Trolly and bro is in a major state of denial. He just assumes it won't fit (despite multiple people here overlaying the concept are to Google Maps and showing it does fit) because he doesn't personally like it being there and wants to see other things in the backlot.
I watched that video, and was yelling in my head that it can fit other places if you would just look at an overhead map.

I do agree with one of his statements in that video though, the Backlot as is is a waste. So why put the RCT barn back there when they have other ideas for it.

He also believes that his channel is the sole reason Disney makes any decisions around the parks, so what do I know.
I'm pretty sure he is being sarcastic when he makes comments like that.

mickEblu

Haha I like David. Hes passionate about DL and he’s not a shill but sometimes he says things that have me waving my fist at the screen lol. I watched that episode of OG55. Im not sure why nobody ever considers the fact that Hollywood Blvd might stick around even if it’s given a new name or themed to something else. They keep saying “Hollywood” is going away but that doesn’t mean the street is going away. I’d say the odds are the street remains as is for the most part. Regardless, as long as BVS remains the trolley makes sense. A point that seems to have been missed by some. The route would just have to change but as we know there are places they could put one that would make sense like near Soarin or near the AC entrance.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Haha I like David. Hes passionate about DL and he’s not a shill but sometimes he says things that have me waving my fist at the screen lol. I watched that episode of OG55. Im not sure why nobody ever considers the fact that Hollywood Blvd might stick around even if it’s given a new name or themed to something else. They keep saying “Hollywood” is going away but that doesn’t mean the street is going away. I’d say the odds are the street remains as is for the most part. Regardless, as long as BVS remains the trolley makes sense. A point that seems to have been missed by some. The route would just have to change but as we know there are places they could put one that would make sense like near Soarin or near the AC entrance.
I like him too which is why I watch his vids, but I find that he tends to get stuck on ideas without thinking them through or considering other options.

For example, if Avatar does go in the backlot, I don't see why that means Hollywood Blvd or Sunset Blvd would immediately go away. They can tuck Avatar far enough back with a portal to keep the street-facing side with facades or whatever. Then the RCT tracks could stay if they turn it left at MB (as I noted in a previous post) or behind Soarin' (as others have said) to put the barn.

He claimed that RCT is leaving not because of the construction in AC and the removal of the barn, but because of putting something in the backlot. I very much disagree with that statement as stated in the paragraph above.

Also, everyone seems stuck on Hyperion become a 5th Avengers attraction. There's no precedence that a land created in the 21st century needs 5 attractions. I foresee that when (or if) Avatar goes in the backlot, that Hollywood Blvd., Sunset Blvd., Hyperion, Animation Academy will all remain as is for a while longer before any more major changes occur.

Just my option and everything is speculation at this point.....and it seems by Disney's response that RCT in its current state will not be coming back anyway. I guess we'll see when they make an official announcement.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I do agree with one of his statements in that video though, the Backlot as is is a waste. So why put the RCT barn back there when they have other ideas for it.
For sure. I like Monsters Inc.....it's a cute ride, but that area definitely needs better use. I never personally exercised the idea that the barn would or could go in that area anyway.

mickEblu

I like him too which is why I watch his vids, but I find that he tends to get stuck on ideas without thinking them through or considering other options.

For example, if Avatar does go in the backlot, I don't see why that means Hollywood Blvd or Sunset Blvd would immediately go away. They can tuck Avatar far enough back with a portal to keep the street-facing side with facades or whatever. Then the RCT tracks could stay if they turn it left at MB (as I noted in a previous post) or behind Soarin' (as others have said) to put the barn.

He claimed that RCT is leaving not because of the construction in AC and the removal of the barn, but because of putting something in the backlot. I very much disagree with that statement as stated in the paragraph above.

Also, everyone seems stuck on Hyperion become a 5th Avengers attraction. There's no precedence that a land created in the 21st century needs 5 attractions. I foresee that when (or if) Avatar goes in the backlot, that Hollywood Blvd., Sunset Blvd., Hyperion, Animation Academy will all remain as is for a while longer before any more major changes occur.

Just my option and everything is speculation at this point.....and it seems by Disney's response that RCT in its current state will not be coming back anyway. I guess we'll see when they make an official announcement.

Exactly what I’m saying. There is no reason the trolley couldn’t go up Hollywood Blvd just because you have a portal entrance to Avatar in the backlot there. They’ll probably want to keep those facades as they are a natural extension of BVS and will help hide what they re putting in the backlot.

Now if you made the argument that the new shortened route might not be worth the operational headaches that’s something I’m willing to hear. In that case I’d say reroute the tracks somewhere else.

Yeah the RCT is going because of the AC expansion. I think what he was saying was the Backlot being lackluster is the reason they don’t find the worth in keeping the RCT or finding another solution because there won’t be no Hollywoodland or anywhere to go. But as we’ve already said this ignores the fact that BVS is still there and you can build the barn elsewhere. The RCT doesn’t have to go up Hollywood Blvd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom