lazyboy97o

I think George and Disney learned a lot from California Adventure. The park was built on the cheap and did not represent Disney well. The attendance was below that which it should have been. Disney spent a lot of money cleaning up the park, building some new attractions, and the gate went sky high. The attendance has remain much greater than before the renovations. I think that this was the turning point for Disney.
The park has also taught Disney that people only want what they already know but with a pretty wrapper.

EPCOTCenterLover

My understanding is George came into the DCA remake after it was already approved and had nothing to do with it being planned at all. Only the poster boy.

lazyboy97o

My understanding is George came into the DCA remake after it was already approved and had nothing to do with it being planned at all. Only the poster boy.
Correct. It was approved during the tenure of the often maligned Ed Grier. Disney's fear of changes to the Anaheim Resort District also played a significant role. I truly think they would have ditched Buena Bista Street and probably some other aspects of the plan had they not announced so much so early.

kap91

The human eye can barely differentiate between 1080 and 4k at a distance of more than a few feet (despite what the tech companies pushing 4k would have you believe) so 8k would likely be of little if any benefit unless you were using a Soarin' sized screen - which most people here would seem to be hoping against. Not to mention that generating 8k raw footage that's not upscaled would be somewhat difficult to do without waiting a few years for the camera companies to catch up - then again its Cameron and he'll just build his own camera if necessary.

As for me if screens are used I'd prefer them just to be backdrops for the real physical sets/action as I'm not a huge fan of when they're the primary attraction ala Spidey, Transformers, FJ, Soarin, Star Tours, etc. even if those rides are fun. --assuming the ride is a Soarin' 2.0 I would expect something like to the old back to the future ride more than soarin- which despite being screen based was my favorite ride at Universal up until it closed. Here's hoping the latest rumors are true though in it not being a simulator...although I can't imagine a flight based attraction without heavy use of screen somehow. :-|

kap91

Peter Pan's Flight :cyclops:
Touché. Let's rephrase that to a flight based attraction that involves high speed travel over vast swaths of environment that the members of this board would accept as a modern day e-ticket and meet their standards of beating spidey/FJ.

And manta technically simulates swimming - and I can just imagine the uproar here if Disney decided to build a bare steel coaster. ;-)

Bairstow

And manta technically simulates swimming -

...and officially represents flying.

- and I can just imagine the uproar here if Disney decided to build a bare steel coaster. ;-)

Sure, but since Excavator was on the table from day one, let's entertain the potential here for a moment or two.

ak+dinos+7.jpg

Not all B&M flying coasters are super-high, widely visible structures like Manta.
"air" at Alton Towers, for instance, is a comparatively low, terrain-following coaster that simulates flying without intruding too badly into the surrounding sightlines (or violating Alton Towers' rather stringent height restrictions).
With careful placement and a little rockwork or fake trees around the supports I could see a B&M flying coaster giving an experience that no stationary simulator ever could, yet still preserving the beauty of the land. Not that they're building anything like this, but it's fun to think about.
Alton_Tower_-_Air_19-07-05.jpg

lazyboy97o

With careful placement and a little rockwork or fake trees around the supports I could see a B&M flying coaster giving an experience that no stationary simulator ever could, yet still preserving the beauty of the land. Not that they're building anything like this, but it's fun to think about.
But you'll never get the expanses of space and distance.

dupac

You mean to tell me there's discussion about bare steel coasters going on simultaneously in two separate, distinct threads?

Of course, it's not like I should be surprised by this.

rioriz

Of course because everything universal does is superior and everything Disney does is bad right? *sigh*

I'm not interested in avatar, never seen the movie and have no interest to, plus I thought this was a bad idea from the start...however with the concept art I have changed my mind and think this could be the most wow land of a theme park in the world if done correctly

Looking at the concept art alone animal kingdom is by far the best park for this with all the greenery, water, etc

As good as Uni is producing now people forget they are playing catch up....of course they no option other than spend money to draw people in. Pandora absolutely fits in with the theme of AK! Most are just upset it is not a Disney IP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom