MerlinTheGoat

I thought the leaked plans were rumored now to be false. At least for the Soarin type ride!
At one point they came under question, but it would appear from what we've seen of the model and concept art (and video) that the plans are fairly accurate to what is going to end up being built. Some sort of boat ride is in, and a Soarin-like simulator (perhaps more intense) likely.

ABQ

....and a Soarin-like simulator (perhaps more intense) likely.
Though I appreciate the innovative design of the Soarin' ride, this new one, if it's at all based on the same technology better find a way to chew up guests like a beast. Or is the plan to make AK a full day park just going to be 5 hours standing in a queue and then a few more attending the pre-existing AK attractions?

ToTBellHop

Though I appreciate the innovative design of the Soarin' ride, this new one, if it's at all based on the same technology better find a way to chew up guests like a beast. Or is the plan to make AK a full day park just going to be 5 hours standing in a queue and then a few more attending the pre-existing AK attractions?
I believe the plan is for everyone to use Fastpass+ to ride and then spend 5 hours playing with bioluminescent plants. It will presumably take some time to get transferred into a Na'vi's mind, too. Then you have to get used to those long legs. It's a process. I'm not even sure how long it takes to fly from Africa to Pandora.

MerlinTheGoat

Well the leaked plans show four simulator theaters instead of Soarin's two, so it will at least have more capacity than Soarin does if they go with 4 theaters. Though Fastpass will inevitably slow everything down to a crawl regardless of how fast-loading and high capacity something is. I couldn't care less personally, i'm much more interested about the boat ride at this point. If their so-called "E Ticket" is a Soarin clone, they can keep it and i'll stick with the boat. Hopefully they put some effort into that ride's scenery at least.

Bairstow

The concept for Animal Kingdom was always for guests to spend as much of their day enjoying the surroundings and looking at animals as they did riding attractions.
You know, a day at the zoo.
Trouble is, theme park expect theme park rides, not a super-nice zoo. Who would have thought. It also doesn't help when you build an entire marketing campaign around telling people it's not a zoo when it clearly is and people kind of need to be told it is in order to enjoy what's there.

As for chewing up guests, the leaked plans seem to show 4 separate simulator show rooms housed in a massive building, so assuming those plans are real it should be up to the challenge.

ABQ

As for chewing up guests, the leaked plans seem to show 4 separate simulator show rooms housed in a massive building, so assuming those plans are real it should be up to the challenge.

Well the leaked plans show four simulator theaters instead of Soarin's two, so it will at least have more capacity than Soarin does if they go with 4 theaters. Though Fastpass will inevitably slow everything down to a crawl regardless of how fast-loading and high capacity something is. I couldn't care less personally, i'm much more interested about the boat ride at this point. If their so-called "E Ticket" is a Soarin clone, they can keep it and i'll stick with the boat. Hopefully they put some effort into that ride's scenery at least.

Let's hope you're both correct, as that would be cool with me. I'll probably be sitting along side Merlin though, as I agree with him in terms of boat ride vs Soarin' like thing. Which is fine, I'll spend the rest of the day on either jungle trek to fill my time just fine.

doctornick

I thought the leaked plans were rumored now to be false. At least for the Soarin type ride!

Some insiders have stated that the plans are outdated, more than false (i.e. the plans have changed since those blueprints were leaked). Furthermore, it has been stated that the new plans involve a ride where ou move from place to place, rather than just be suspended in front of one screen. In fact, pheneix is one of the people who stated that the ride is planned to move from place to place in some way (AVATAR progress)and IIRC he is the one who leaked the Avatar blueprints to this site.

ToTBellHop

I don't go to AK for a zoo. The gardens and animals are great, but I go for Disney attractions that no one else can design and build in a great unique theme park setting.
I don't know, that Amur Tiger exhibit is pretty spectacular. And a far cry from the zoo. Just imagine the Nav'i mating ritual exhibit. And I thought I had seen everything when I saw the zebras finally a-mounting to something.

ctxak98

Some insiders have stated that the plans are outdated, more than false (i.e. the plans have changed since those blueprints were leaked). Furthermore, it has been stated that the new plans involve a ride where ou move from place to place, rather than just be suspended in front of one screen. In fact, pheneix is one of the people who stated that the ride is planned to move from place to place in some way (AVATAR progress)and IIRC he is the one who leaked the Avatar blueprints to this site.
So the ride should therefore be better then soarin correct!?

doctornick

So the ride should therefore be better then soarin correct!?

Well, "better" is subjective, but my impression is that it will be sufficiently different from Soarin' as to make a comparison invalid. From what I have gathered, it sounds like the ride is intended to be more like Forbidden Journey than Soarin'. Of course, a lot depends on what the final plans end up being and how much money is invested on the build.

But I think the main takeaway is that the leaked plans from last year don't necessarily correspond to the current plans that are being developed. And since construction is probably going to start in early 2014 (given the impending closure of the current FOTLK theater), it is likely that the plans for attractions should be finalized in the near future.

Bairstow

So what Rohde said was:

While he didn't divulge much, he did clear up a few misconceptions and provide a few bits of info about the ambitious project. For example, it has been widely rumored that the land's E-Ticket attraction, which will simulate an airborne ride aboard a Pandoran banshee creature, would use a ride system patterned after the popular Soarin' attractions at Epcot and Disney California Adventure. Rohde said that there might be some similarities, but that the Avatar attraction would be "considerably more thrilling" than Soarin' and incorporate some new, groundbreaking features.

Translation: The ride system is going to be almost exactly like Soaring Over California, though this time the movie will show CGI animals trying to bite the camera.

He also said that even though the movie on which it is based is the most popular 3D film ever produced, his Imagineering team had not yet decided whether to render the media for the attraction in 3D.

Translation: We want to do it in 3D but Burbank says we can save a couple hundred thousand by doing it in 2D and they're afraid of the added operational cost of people dropping and losing their glasses when the attraction is turned on.

doctornick

If it screen based it is going to have to be 3D. I can't see them not doing that, particularly with Cameron involved.

Well, one thing I could see is if the ride actually does move and has some areas of physical scenes/effects, then they might not want to have the guests wearing 3D glasses the whole ride. They might view it as more effective for the physical sets if the screens were 2D and guests were nto wearing glasses. Just a thought that might explain the debate for WDI....

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I can not believe all the negative comments about this project when all we really know is that the art work released so far makes it look like something most people are going to want to experience. I am getting tired of all the negative comments about budget cuts and other stuff when we do not know if any of that is going to happen.

If Disney was giving out free gold bars in the Magic Kingdom, I am convinced that several people on this sight would complain before even seeing them that they where not big enough, were too heave to carry, and if the budget had not been cut they would would have been bigger than the free gold bars that Universal would have given out if they had done it.

lazyboy97o

Translation: The ride system is going to be almost exactly like Soaring Over California, though this time the movie will show CGI animals trying to bite the camera.
I think this leaves open plenty of rooms for the Vekoma Panoramic Flight Simulator, which does have the potential to be a step up in terms of motion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I can not believe all the negative comments about this project when all we really know is that the art work released so far makes it look like something most people are going to want to experience. I am getting tired of all the negative comments about budget cuts and other stuff when we do not know if any of that is going to happen.
Sadly that's what is now expected of the company due to its track record. Believe me, most of the realists here would love to be proven wrong, myself included.

Put another way, TDO need to prove theirselves again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom