ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sadly that's what is now expected of the company due to track record. Believe me, most of the realists here would love to be proven wrong, myself included.

Put another way, TDO need to prove theirselves again.

We'd ALL like to be proven wrong but unless things change at TWDC sadly it will be wait and see to how badly attraction was 'value engineered'.

The current TWDC would give out plastic gold bars if the park down the street was giving out the real thing. TWDC would not even have the class to give out Gelt which at least you could eat.

Last edited:

Bairstow

I can not believe all the negative comments about this project when all we really know is that the art work released so far makes it look like something most people are going to want to experience. I am getting tired of all the negative comments about budget cuts and other stuff when we do not know if any of that is going to happen.

If Disney was giving out free gold bars in the Magic Kingdom, I am convinced that several people on this sight would complain before even seeing them that they where not big enough, were too heave to carry, and if the budget had not been cut they would would have been bigger than the free gold bars that Universal would have given out if they had done it.

It's important to maintain a negative outlook when discussing Disney World on the internet.
Otherwise, you will be accused of being a paid-off mommy blogger.

Sassagoula-Rvr

This whole negative attitude is sickening...I've even seen it in real life...people complained to me about how on their trip the front desk was awful and screwed up their bill...after talking with them I found Disney ended up reimbursing nearly half of the trip to the person, and gave them some 5 day non-expiring park hoppers to try and make up for it...I told the person, customer service is a lot about how a company rectifies the situation...and they were still upset, said they would never go back...

I don't understand why/how people are so negative/hard to please...

Edit: I know it doesn't belong here, but it seems every thread turns into how Uni is DESTROYING Disney...or TDO sucks...or TWDC just sucks now a days...then why are you on WDWMagic?

Dukeblue1227

Edit: I know it doesn't belong here, but it seems every thread turns into how Uni is DESTROYING Disney...or TDO sucks...or TWDC just sucks now a days...then why are you on WDWMagic?

This trend is more indicative of the way disney has been run the last ten years than it is of this forum.

I grew up in love with Disney, still do love disney the place. I get a special feeling whenever I go. That said, there's a dramatic and tragic difference in the way the company operated for its first 25-30 years vs the last 10-15 years. And because I love disney, it doesn't mean I have to blindly love everything they do when it's so drastically different to how it used to be.

I'm hopeful for avatar land and excited with the prospect of what the next 10 years could bring.

But the last ten years has given NO ONE any reason to just assume because something is announced means it'll be. Or without a significant cut to its quality.

Everyone hopes they're wrong.

aladdin2007

This trend is more indicative of the way disney has been run the last ten years than it is of this forum.

I grew up in love with Disney, still do love disney the place. I get a special feeling whenever I go. That said, there's a dramatic and tragic difference in the way the company operated for its first 25-30 years vs the last 10-15 years. And because I love disney, it doesn't mean I have to blindly love everything they do when it's so drastically different to how it used to be.

I'm hopeful for avatar land and excited with the prospect of what the next 10 years could bring.

But the last ten years has given NO ONE any reason to just assume because something is announced means it'll be. Or without a significant cut to its quality.

Everyone hopes they're wrong

This,,,,,and to the prior poster yes unfortunately TDO does stink and is a clueless corporate group of people and and beancounters. Im sure there are a few in those halls who still "get it" and try for things, but in general as a whole, nope.

flyerjab

This whole negative attitude is sickening...I've even seen it in real life...people complained to me about how on their trip the front desk was awful and screwed up their bill...after talking with them I found Disney ended up reimbursing nearly half of the trip to the person, and gave them some 5 day non-expiring park hoppers to try and make up for it...I told the person, customer service is a lot about how a company rectifies the situation...and they were still upset, said they would never go back...

I don't understand why/how people are so negative/hard to please...

For me personally, I don't let the negativity get to me, but I still appreciate other viewpoints. My family and I have only been going to Disney since 2009, so I am not aware of how amazing WDW used to be.

I can only look at Disney through my own lens, and for me (and my family), WDW is an absolutely incredible place to be. When I go to the MK, I don't even need to go on rides to enjoy my time there. It has become special to us, so much so that we purchased points at the Villas at the Grand Floridian this June and can't wait to go in 2014.

I am not bothered by strollers, cost, current company initiatives, expansions, etc. If there is one thing that I have found that does annoy me, it is with how long it takes to complete a project - see 7DMT, DTD expansion, an so on.

On the other hand, I also know that with many things in life, it is difficult for any establishment to provide the same level of service/return on the dollar every year for 15, 20, 30, 40+ years. Hence I can understand the frustration and disappointment other people vent on these forums on a constant basis. The want it to feel the way it did maybe even as little as 10 years ago. The great thing though, is that many of the people on this site continue to visit the World annually.

They also have the Comcast parks up the road to keep them happy. Those parks are more affordable and are smaller. Acquiring Potter, however, has allowed them to grow considerably. I personally think that it is easier for them to grow because they are what Disney was 20+ years ago. Also, from a cost perspective you get more rides (especially thrill rides) for your buck.

My hope is that if WDW has been lackluster in their spending as of late, Universal's recent success and aggressive posture will helpWDW pick up their game. That way, as his been stated multiple times on this site, everybody wins.

RSoxNo1

Well the leaked plans show four simulator theaters instead of Soarin's two, so it will at least have more capacity than Soarin does if they go with 4 theaters. Though Fastpass will inevitably slow everything down to a crawl regardless of how fast-loading and high capacity something is. I couldn't care less personally, i'm much more interested about the boat ride at this point. If their so-called "E Ticket" is a Soarin clone, they can keep it and i'll stick with the boat. Hopefully they put some effort into that ride's scenery at least.
Not necessarily. Soarin's two theaters seat more than 80 people. You also have to consider ride/cycle time as well.

rd805

Perfectly and respectfully explained.

Voxel

President of Progress City

I have high hopes that this year will the pivoting point for Disney World. We have already seen some positive changes being made and I think we can thank the new President of Walt Disney World, George Kalogridis. The Disneyland saw a lot of great(positive) changes under him over the last four years and I think he has the parks best interest at heart. We are already hear that some of the rehabs that happened this year are some of the best we have seen in years so fingers cross that George is the Answer for the world.

twebber55

well i do think wdw is heading in the right direction...NFL, Pandora, and star wars along with DTD gets me pretty excited...only problem is this should have been done by now not just starting.....i do think star wars and Avatar will be incredible but the next few years will belong to Diagon Alley

puntagordabob

My feelings are Very Positive... I am hoping that with some new faces in Orlando, the pressure from up I-4, and along with Mr. Cameron's firm control of his Avatar creation that THIS will indeed be an Awesome addition......

MotherOfBirds

James "3D is the future of Cinema" Cameron having his Pandora not being displayed in the format he has been championing is unthinkable.

It bothers me that this is what we've come to in respect to theme parks these days: the only person who cares enough to make sure something is done right is the individual who created the franchise, who also has to be willing to put Uni/TDO in a chokehold to see that it comes to fruition. To me, it says that Disney doesn't really care about its own product anymore, or at least not as much as it used to.

Voxel

It bothers me that this is what we've come to in respect to theme parks these days: the only person who cares enough to make sure something is done right is the individual who created the franchise, who also has to be willing to put Uni/TDO in a chokehold to see that it comes to fruition. To me, it says that Disney doesn't really care about its own product anymore, or at least not as much as it used to.
Do some research in to the new president of Walt Disney world. You might like him. He holds a lot of the values we love about Disney including during his time as manager at the Grand Floridian drying the grass with towns for guest. I find it interestig the seasonal cups returned under him. I wonder if he had anything to do with that.

doctornick

Do some research in to the new president of Walt Disney world. You might like him. He holds a lot of the values we love about Disney including during his time as manager at the Grand Floridian drying the grass with towns for guest. I find it interestig the seasonal cups returned under him. I wonder if he had anything to do with that.

Yeah, I do have some hope that things will improve under George K. At least the show aspects and daily operations.

I doubt he will have much impact on attraction develop/deployment or budgets for such and that's where arguably the biggest area of concern is. Getting Pandora and a night show is great for DAK, but it still needs more beyond that -- will it get it?

Voxel

Yeah, I do have some hope that things will improve under George K. At least the show aspects and daily operations.

I doubt he will have much impact on attraction develop/deployment or budgets for such and that's where arguably the biggest area of concern is. Getting Pandora and a night show is great for DAK, but it still needs more beyond that -- will it get it?
Your right it needs more but perhaps they are getting everything to the quality it should be at before adding more. Logically you don't add more when everything is subpar.
Your right George probably doesn't have a lot of control in what happens but I have the feeling that he will push to get Disney World to the state it should be in. As for expansion we need Meg to budget it. Perhaps with mymagic winding down we will see more development in rides. One Disney Imagineer is hitting at something Epcot and we keep hearing about changes to studios. The money going to mymagic will be freed up for other expansion

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I think George and Disney learned a lot from California Adventure. The park was built on the cheap and did not represent Disney well. The attendance was below that which it should have been. Disney spent a lot of money cleaning up the park, building some new attractions, and the gate went sky high. The attendance has remain much greater than before the renovations. I think that this was the turning point for Disney.

I think that this was the turning point for Disney Parks and I think George is trying to do the same thing at Walt Disney World. Due to just the size of Walt Disney World the problem is much larger. Still it looks like George is starting to take one bite at a time out of the elephant and turning things around.

I know a lot of people on this site are not happy with the expansions at the Magic Kingdom, but I think the new roller coaster is going to help. I think something is coming soon (Star Wars? Carsland?) to Hollywood Studios. I think the art work for Avatar looks great Animal Kingdom. I even like the plans for Disney Springs.

And worldwide many improvements have been made for Parks, two new ships for Disney Cruise Lines, expansion at Hong Kong Disneyland, and a new park coming in Shanghai just to name a few. If Disney stays on this new track, and I for one will want to be there and see it all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom