Atomicmickey

Indeed.
The impression i have been under regarding the main E-ticket is that the Banshee experience will be 20 times better then anything related to 'Soarin'.
I find addressing the forthcoming attraction as 'Soarin' over Pandora' to be a bit misleading, as the actual attraction will be nothing like that previous experience.

I think people are forgetting, or maybe just not aware, that the flight on a Banshee will be just that...ON a Banshee. This has been talked about for some time, and from what i gather the main attraction is getting to actually ride one of these creatures over the Pandora setting.

Think of a giant, lifesized Banshee that Guests can ride in/on that moves and tilts like a simulator...but you are completely enclosed in a Omnidome-type of show room. Add into that mix a digital, high def 3D visual presentation of Pandorian scenery, awesome sound system, and perhaps a few in-theatre effects...and now you are talking about what this attraction may really be like.

Soarin' it is not.
Something much cooler it is.

:)

Is that info you have, or speculation?

doctornick

Map from sideways screenshot above. Love Photoshop!
Blade Runner . . . zoom . . . enhance!

hpjn.jpg

so, this map leads to me to beleive that there are two paths in -- one from Africa and one from Discovery Island. Of note for the former is that (I think) the plan is to have the west bridge off of Discovery Island (currently backstage) become onstage for access to FOTLK. So, that bridge would take you to the path in between the new FOTLK and Pandora.

There's going to be a nice size area of land along that path between Africa and Pandora that would be perfect for a future park expansion if desired.

lazyboy97o

There is a good analysis of the concept art over at Epcot Explorer's Encyclopedia. One of the interesting things mentioned in the article is the creation dates that can be found in the image files. The one with the family and the one with the flying are from October 2012, but the one with the boat ride and the one with the model are from September 2013.
I said this earlier, but Joe Rohde has been in Mongolia for about the past month. Anything with him in it has to be from before he left California.

RandySavage

Lots going on in this shot!

1zku.jpg

Thanks for all these screen caps and analyses!

The guy standing right behind Cameron (in the hat) looks like Zsolt Hormay, WDI's rockwork maestro who's going to be very busy with this project.

5gin.jpg

What you have marked "new road" above looks like the existing service road to Discovery Island. EDIT: Looking closer, what is marked "show building" is too small to be the ride building and will more likely be the dining facility (aligns with what you labeled Quonset Hut in top pic).

Having the path to Africa directly on the waterfront for river-parade viewing is a cool idea... will likely pass underneath the Service Bridge.

Last edited:

Atomicmickey

Thanks for all these screen caps and analyses!

The guy standing right behind Cameron (in the hat) looks like Zsolt Hormay, WDI's rockwork maestro who's going to be very busy with this project.

5gin.jpg

What you have marked "new road" above looks like the existing service road to Discovery Island. From this plan it looks like the Magnetic Rocks and mountainsbackdrop will go into covering the tall omni-simulator building (which doesn't have a massive footprint) and the large empty, grassy pad west of the Park Ticketing will be left for future development (probably where the launch coaster mentioned would have gone).

Great spot on Zsolt! You are correct . . .

I'm not sure that's the existing road . . or it's a modification of the existing road.
And I think the grassy area is going to be used, we just can't see the bottoms of these maps . . . ?

Atomicmickey

It is what has been talked about for some time within certain circles.
It is the impression i came away with at the time, maybe now that has changed...but i can say with certainty that this attraction is NOT a 'Soarin' clone.

Waaaay better.....

Well, sure, but I think it may be a bit of a stretch that we'll be 'boarding' an
animatronic. Something tells me that would be a tough thing to pull off.

Agreed on the experience, I'm thinking very, very cool.

Figments Friend

Well, sure, but I think it may be a bit of a stretch that we'll be 'boarding' an
animatronic. Something tells me that would be a tough thing to pull off.

Agreed on the experience, I'm thinking very, very cool.

Agree, and it WILL be 'very very cool'..!
That i am sure of.
As to HOW cool...well at this point that is anybodys guess.
Things change all the time in the happy world of concept development.
What was 'definately happening' a month ago can suddenly change to 'scrapped' in no time as we all know.
Regardless, I have full confidence however that this will be epic on many levels.

In my own opinion, based on what i have gathered...
The Banshee itself would not be fully 'animatronic' ....i also cannot see that happening for several reasons.
It was implied that it would be a large figure that Guests rode...either on, or in, with said figure able to tilt and move to create a authentic flight experience.
As far as animatronic elements, if they wanted to add some small movements to the figure/ride rig i would imagine it would be small plusses such as maybe tilting wings or a head motion.
No way of knowing details like that at this early stage...since things are constantly changing as development goes along.

Personally, i think it would be great to see small animated editions on the Banshee figures.
I am sure Cameron wants to have some sort of figure movement to make the flight experience more realistic and mind blowing.

Since1976

I'll admit straight up that I don't hold the movie in high regard. I consider it a transparent pastiche of ideas, characters and images from other better movies (including some of Cameron's own).

However, I will concede that even without the planned sequels, I could envision AVATAR LAND achieving a fandom separate from the movie (not unlike SPLASH MOUNTAIN, which is based on a movie few have seen). It really does look beautiful and grand, and this alone should satisfy guests' desire for eye candy. Throw in the thrills and they have a winner.

I question Disney's decision to build on such a large scale for one fairly recent movie, but I hope this idea of "going big" eventually extends to other, more proven properties.

Figments Friend

I have said this in the other Avatar threads months ago...that the main attraction for this new area is the unique Pandorian environment.
Sure there will be attractions as far as rides go, but the REAL attraction is the amazing themed environments.

Guests who have never seen the film will be able to thoroughly enjoy that aspect, and even those who did not care for the film 'Avatar' admit in several cases that they did enjoy the visuals of Pandora.

The Pandorian rain forest, the bio-luminescent flora and fauna, the strange creatures in said forest, and the beautiful rock formations have universal appeal. It is so unique in design and scope that it will instantly draw people in to explore.
Once there, they can be fully enveloped in that environment even if they know nothing about the backstory in regards to the film.
It will be otherworldly but have incredible eye candy if done right.

I have full faith that with Cameron involved this will be epic and unique.
No half measures...and he will not let Disney value engineer this project if he has the power of final decision like on his other high profile projects.

This can only be a good thing.

Last edited:

Atomicmickey

In my own opinion, based on what i have gathered...
The Banshee itself would not be fully 'animatronic' ....i also cannot see that happening for several reasons.
It was implied that it would be a large figure that Guests rode...either on, or in, with said figure able to tilt and .

Where did you 'gather' this from? First I've heard of it, and I'm fascinated . . . point me at it! :)

Atomicmickey

OK, so now I have to see this movie. Hoping this project gets a full green light.

Haters aren't gonna hate anymore! LOL.

I've always liked the film. But my enjoyment of the film doesn't have much to do with
what I hoped Disney would create as a themed experience. This could eclipse the
film.

I'm sure there will always be people who will protest. But I'm guessing that by the
time this opens, all the doubters will at least give this a go. If you stay away from
this, on purpose, because of some principle you have, well . . . I don't know what
to say to you.

Figments Friend

Where did you 'gather' this from? First I've heard of it, and I'm fascinated . . . point me at it! :)

Oh gosh..numerous places...
There are several gems to be had in the already present 'Avatar' related threads here on this very Forum.
Most of this was talked about some months ago in the two main 'Avatar' related threads.

Check out the thread started by Tim_4...and the other large ongoing thread currently at the top of the list here.
You will have to dig through them, but a lot of informative bits pop up.

Happy reading..!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Think of a giant, lifesized Banshee that Guests can ride in/on that moves and tilts like a simulator...but you are completely enclosed in a Omnidome-type of show room

You mean like back to the future?? :)

Disney is all about ride capacity tho... no way you'd have your own personal simulator like everyone is riding their own banshee like in the movie. They'll need to come up with some story excuse to put groups together in the ride system.

Someone photoshop the startours speeder on the back of a banshee for me :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom