Atomicmickey

You mean like back to the future?? :)

Disney is all about ride capacity tho... no way you'd have your own personal simulator like everyone is riding their own banshee like in the movie. They'll need to come up with some story excuse to put groups together in the ride system.

Someone photoshop the startours speeder on the back of a banshee for me :)

Yeah, I'm sorta doubting the riding on a personal Banshee . . or even a Banshee
that holds 20 people. I'm sure that's part of the story, but from a capacity standpoint,
that would be a tough thing to do. Well, whatever . . . c'mon Disney, prove me wrong! :)

WDWDad13

I was not on board with this Avatar thing since the first announcement and when so little had been shared up to this point...

I can honestly say now I am VERY MUCH on board with this and excited about what I am seeing. If they pull off what they have shared with us in photos, etc. this could truly be the most spectacular theme park section in the world (and you don't have to know anything about Avatar to enjoy it)

doctornick

And potentially for viewing the water show/parade/thingy and the lighting effects on the Tree of Life.

Maybe, but the open area of the Discovery River is on the other side of the island, near Everest and Nemo. While the ToL effects would probably be viewable from the western side of the park, I don't think the planned water show would be. Just my guess though.

vonpluto

Yeah, I'm sorta doubting the riding on a personal Banshee . . or even a Banshee
that holds 20 people. I'm sure that's part of the story, but from a capacity standpoint,
that would be a tough thing to do. Well, whatever . . . c'mon Disney, prove me wrong! :)

The banshee is a female spirit in Irish mythology, usually seen as an omen of death and a messenger from the Otherworld.

Irish is green or orange, yes ?

doctornick

Could that flying dragon from earlier this year be testing of flying banshees flying over the land as seen in the concept art?

Yeah, it's been talked about before. That's another little plus that would fit in well with this land if Disney wants to do it -- have a nightly "dragon" flight of a banshee overhead each night. Just make it an off time between any other night time entertainment.

DisneyLeo18

You mean like back to the future?? :)

Disney is all about ride capacity tho... no way you'd have your own personal simulator like everyone is riding their own banshee like in the movie. They'll need to come up with some story excuse to put groups together in the ride system.

Someone photoshop the startours speeder on the back of a banshee for me :)

Weren't the Na'vi people like twice the size of humans or something like that? I'm sure they can tie that into fitting some sort of contraption on top of the banshee and having multiple people ride them.

Magenta Panther

I am not an Avatar fan, but Avatar did $760.5M in North American Box Office and $2,021.8M internationally. Gravity has done $123.4M in North America and $68.0M internationally. Gravity will not pass up Avatar as the highest grossing movie ever. I it would be impossible to do a Gravity II, III and IV.

I say it again, if Avatar is done right it is going to bring people to Walt Disney World that have never been there before.

People who would be better off going to Universal, if non-Disney-generated stuff is what lures them.

A Pride Lands attraction with a Lion King dark ride - a really good one - would do more for attendance than anything Avatar. Speaking of which, there is no good creative reason for an Avatar II, III and IV, so why not a Gravity II, III and IV? (And as for Gravity's box office, it's a little early yet to judge. It's doing amazingly well world-wide).

Magenta Panther

Lots going on in this shot!

1zku.jpg

Good god. The thought of those emaciated ugly kitties running around in a Disney park makes me want to barf. :p

GrumpyFan

A Pride Lands attraction with a Lion King dark ride - a really good one - would do more for attendance than anything Avatar. Speaking of which, there is no good creative reason for an Avatar II, III and IV, so why not a Gravity II, III and IV? (And as for Gravity's box office, it's a little early yet to judge. It's doing amazingly well world-wide).

Agreed on Lion King. There is so much to work with there, plus identifiable and memorable characters, music, visuals, etc.

Avatar has great visuals, but not too much more. Plus, if they're re-creating the moon of Pandora (which is where the first film took place), how are they going to explain the fact that it's environment (air mostly) isn't breathable by humans? Not to mention the fact that humans were kicked out at the end of the movie, which I assume will probably be resolved in the next movie.

Don't misunderstand me, I want to like this, I'm just not sure there's much to see or identify with except for stunning visuals. Hoping Disney can prove me wrong.

Sassagoula-Rvr

Whoa 2, the sequel.

THE WHOLE LAND will light up and be bioluminescent.
Looks like the path will react to people walking on it.
(I have no idea how they will pull that off, or whether they will,
but that's what they're trying to show, here!)

cxrg.jpg

That was the first thing I noticed in the video...I was a little skeptical of Avatar...but after seeing all this...if they come close to what they are showing here (which I think they will due to Cameron being over their shoulder...) this could possibly be the most highly themed, incredible, theme park "land" in the world...These illustrations/models are truly eye popping...even without the Avatar name...can you imagine what that place will look like at night!! WOW. Having it be a "name brand" attached to it makes it all the more marketable.

I'm actually pretty excited for this now, might be making a plan to be there in 2017 for sure.

Figment2005

Agree, and it WILL be 'very very cool'..!
That i am sure of.
As to HOW cool...well at this point that is anybodys guess.
Things change all the time in the happy world of concept development.
What was 'definately happening' a month ago can suddenly change to 'scrapped' in no time as we all know.
Regardless, I have full confidence however that this will be epic on many levels.

In my own opinion, based on what i have gathered...
The Banshee itself would not be fully 'animatronic' ....i also cannot see that happening for several reasons.
It was implied that it would be a large figure that Guests rode...either on, or in, with said figure able to tilt and move to create a authentic flight experience.
As far as animatronic elements, if they wanted to add some small movements to the figure/ride rig i would imagine it would be small plusses such as maybe tilting wings or a head motion.
No way of knowing details like that at this early stage...since things are constantly changing as development goes along.

Personally, i think it would be great to see small animated editions on the Banshee figures.
I am sure Cameron wants to have some sort of figure movement to make the flight experience more realistic and mind blowing.
If what you're saying is true then the experience could include technology similar to both Spiderman/Transformers and Forbidden Journey. If the arm is a scaled down model then it looks to be an upside down "Kuka" style mechanism. Along the lines of the ride vehicle, it could easily go the path of Spiderman and just be the torso while everything else, wings, head, tail could all be projected in 3D to match up. Spiderman and Transformers seem to be able to do it, so why couldn't Disney? This would allow them to have a full "riding a banshee" experience while keeping the ride vehicle itself relatively small.

SirLink

People who would be better off going to Universal, if non-Disney-generated stuff is what lures them.

It has a show that is more than enough for that IP. Technically creatively there is good reason to have Avatar 2,3 and 4 and that is locations and new flora and fauna they can introduce.

Speaking of which is if Disney somehow strikes out and the land is a hit. Does that make the new CEO instantly green lit an expansion plan?

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member

Awesome video.
Now, I'm excited.

A couple of points: Even when Joe Rohde is animated, he still looks a little "scowly", due to the ruggedness and planes of his face. For those who intimated that he looks detached and uninterested in the model picture, I reiterate that I think that's just his look.
Have always pronounced Rohde as "Road" in my head. Although, by gosh, he looks like a roadie.
Anyone else concerned about the longevity of that ear-lobe?

I have never seen Avatar, so I am coming to this with fresh eyes - no pre-conceived notions or bias. I think it will be a much needed addition to the park, and will be done spectacularly well!
However, for those of us who travel in the off-season, with the ability to virtually walk on most attractions, I still don't see this becoming a full day park for us. It just means that we will show up at 1:30, rather than leave at 1:30.

steve76

Maybe, but the open area of the Discovery River is on the other side of the island, near Everest and Nemo. While the ToL effects would probably be viewable from the western side of the park, I don't think the planned water show would be. Just my guess though.

True, but given that there's no obvious viewing area with sufficient capacity, I'm envisaging something more along the lines of a water parade with fixed water screens in certain locations. So something less like World of Color or Fantasmic, and more like the Electrical Water Pageant with extra bits. I think that unless they build a huge amphitheatre somewhere along the river, that's the only practical way they can do it so that enough people can watch.

They do a (sort of) similar thing in Tokyo DisneySea with Legend of Mythica, where it's sort of a water parade but with several water-side stages - the floats go round, then each stops at a stage, where the characters get off and dance around a bit, then they all get back on their floats and move around to the next one. (And that is officially the worst description of Legend of Mythica you will ever read...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom