ThemeParkJunkee

Thanks Bairstow for the Pandora's Box video. As far as me, as a guest "experiencing what it's like to fly over Pandora on a Banshee", I think this concept or a Kuka Arm type attraction would give more of the sensation than a Soarin' type system. Let the waiting begin.

Taylor

Looks like I always thought it would. Fingers crossed that the final product looks half as good as the art does.

jt04

For those wondering about the Pandora's Box concept, here's a decent video that shows a simulation of such a system in motion.

It's an interesting combination of a robocoaster-style motion base, drop tower, and a suspended topspin.

I actually anticipated such a concept. This works better than the Mummy concept at Uni. If dark rides have a future it will be due to this type configuration. Unlimited potential.

SJN1279

I actually anticipated such a concept. This works better than the Mummy concept at Uni. If dark rides have a future it will be due to this type configuration. Unlimited potential.
Unlimited potential to make guests sick maybe....

doctornick

Unlimited potential to make guests sick maybe....

While I don't expect this "Pandora's Box" system to necessarily be used by Disney, I would point out that not all the movements need to be utilized. It certainly looks like it could be used for a very intense ride, but you don't have to be (say) flipping people over even if the system is capabe -- mving from room to room and going side to side and up and down together with video and physical effects could certainly make a pretty thrilling ride, but still tolerable to many people.

Atomicmickey

I actually don't think that system of going from room to room is right for Pandora.

It's nice to have a motion platform with more movement, but what I would want
is a single dome--wide field of view, with an uninterrupted film, like Soarin.

If we're going to fly on a Banshee, I would like an uninterrupted flight sequence, as
much surrounding me and immersive as possible.

So, that platform gives more motion than Soarin, and that's a positive. I can see us
rushing down a cliff as they did in the film. But I don't want to be taken from
little room to little room. I doubt Cameron wants that either. It's all about free floating
flight, and expansive vistas.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I want to make one point. A lot of us Disney fans are not Avatar fans; but this might be great. Universal increased attendance greatly when they added Harry Potter. During are last trip to Walt Disney World many in are group took a day away from Disney to go see Harry Potter. Now that it is opened and expanding, I do not think many of us Disney fans would not like to seen Harry Potter at Hollywood Studios. I think Avatar is go to do the same thing, bring people to Disney that have never came before.

Last edited:

Atomicmickey

OK, holy crap. Some extreme coolness in there, including better looks at the model and the
entire space. Time for some frame captures and analysis.

THIS is why I come to WDWMagic, to discuss what's coming. Not to talk about urine spewing
hand dryers. So, I'm fired up. :)

Edit: This video needs to be on the front page. Way more stuff in there than just the drawings.

Good spot, @TestTrack Dummy!

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
"Avatar"? Isn't that the overrated piece of cinematic eye candy that's just been eclipsed by the movie "Gravity"?

*yawn*

Looks like I'll continue skipping AK when I visit WDW in the future...

I am not an Avatar fan, but Avatar did $760.5M in North American Box Office and $2,021.8M internationally. Gravity has done $123.4M in North America and $68.0M internationally. Gravity will not pass up Avatar as the highest grossing movie ever. I it would be impossible to do a Gravity II, III and IV.

I say it again, if Avatar is done right it is going to bring people to Walt Disney World that have never been there before.

Atomicmickey

Whoa.

(way in the distance, just left of center, there's one of those 'science outposts' grown over behind the waterfall. Just noticed that)

l0w4.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom