Aurora's New Look Debuts at WDW

GiveMeTheMusic

I know. I don't know why they can't alternate the dresses. Is it really that big of a problem? The only time I see any representation of the blue dress in Disney World is in one of the stores. They have a display of her dress that magically alternates from pink to blue throughout the day. It's awesome. I just can't believe they can't have the pink of the day and blue and night...or alternate actresses/shifts or whatever. I am pretty sure the kids know who Aurora is despite color coding her.

It's a conscious branding choice that won't be changed unless the entire exec team (including those at Consumer Products) move on and a new regime decides Aurora should be blue again.

They are hellbent on each caucasian princess being a different color so guests can easily distinguish between them. You'd be shocked how many guests have no idea which princess they're meeting; Aurora in particular gets called Barbie more often than not.

Cinderella = blue (film: silver)
Aurora = pink (film: blue)
Rapunzel = purple
Belle = gold
Ariel = green (film: pink)

Snow is an exception to the rule due to her multi-colored outfit and black hair; she stands out on her own.

The new designs are meant to be in sync with the new DCP look, down to the hair...so for the time being, Aurora will be strictly pink. I'd prefer the blue as well, but merch reigns over all, including the films themselves. (Ever wonder why Mary Poppins appears exclusively in her white dress?)

Monkee Girl

It's a conscious branding choice that won't be changed unless the entire exec team (including those at Consumer Products) move on and a new regime decides Aurora should be blue again.

They are hellbent on each caucasian princess being a different color so guests can easily distinguish between them. You'd be shocked how many guests have no idea which princess they're meeting; Aurora in particular gets called Barbie more often than not.

Cinderella = blue (film: silver)
Aurora = pink (film: blue)
Rapunzel = purple
Belle = gold
Ariel = green (film: pink)

Snow is an exception to the rule due to her multi-colored outfit and black hair; she stands out on her own.

The new designs are meant to be in sync with the new DCP look, down to the hair...so for the time being, Aurora will be strictly pink. I'd prefer the blue as well, but merch reigns over all, including the films themselves. (Ever wonder why Mary Poppins appears exclusively in her white dress?)

I get the whole merchandise thing so I don't need the lecture. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. I think the whole thing is stupid and I don't appreciate being treated like I am stupid. If a kid or parent can't tell the difference between Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, then there's more problems there than just color coding. Heck, I dressed as Cinderella for Halloween and a parent actually thought I was Betsy Ross :confused:

And no, Mary Poppins is seen in her nanny dress in parades and on special occasional meet and greets. So though it may be rare, she is still seen in her other outfit. Not the same as Aurora never being seen in blue. Even when she has special parades, she is changed to purple on occasion, which makes no sense at all. I find the whole marketing excuse lame and lazy.

Belle gets to be in 3 costumes. Her blue provincial dress, her gold dress, and her red Christmas dress. Yet everyone seems to know who she is without problems. Why are all the other princesses suddenly indistinguishable outside their color code? I don't buy it, sorry.

Kids are smarter then people take them to be. Give them the chance to decide for themselves without being told they can't tell the difference.

Axle1986

I don't see how anyone would favour the original dress - it's the ugliest Fing thing.
It actually looks like pointy Pyjamas.

Direct comparison from Berlioz70 on d.i.z.b.o.a.r.d.s
8613644611_f1cc11165c_c.jpg

8629629626_0149c3d084_c.jpg

DJMoore2011

I get the whole merchandise thing so I don't need the lecture. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. I think the whole thing is stupid and I don't appreciate being treated like I am stupid. If a kid or parent can't tell the difference between Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, then there's more problems there than just color coding.
Kids are smarter then people take them to be. Give them the chance to decide for themselves without being told they can't tell the difference.

Yes for my Special Needs daughter there IS a whole lot more then color coding going on. Without the pink and the old style dress my daughter wont recognize Aurora without many many reminders and prompts which I do and will give her. For my daughter Aurora was the princess in the "real dress" yes I have shown her the new pictures and the new dress. Right now my daughter thinks the "REAL" dress, the one she saw Aurora in and got her picture taken with is in to be fixed and cleaned and this new one is only limited. While I am working on her to get to know faces because of her own issues I am just happy that she can GET the color and Princess connection. So for some of us that pink is important weather we like it or not.

Animaniac93-98

I don't see how anyone would favour the original dress - it's the ugliest Fing thing.
It actually looks like pointy Pyjamas.

Direct comparison from Berlioz70 on d.i.z.b.o.a.r.d.s
8613644611_f1cc11165c_c.jpg

8629629626_0149c3d084_c.jpg

Looking at a direct comparison, the crown looks much more like the actual one from the movie and the torso is much better fitting. If the shoulders were more pointed and the dress fabric was less busy, it would be nearly perfect.

Monkee Girl

Looking at a direct comparison, the crown looks much more like the actual one from the movie and the torso is much better fitting. If the shoulders were more pointed and the dress fabric was less busy, it would be nearly perfect.

I agree. The new dress makes her look much more graceful and slimmer. Though I wasn't of fan of the first two make overs (I still hate Cinderella and Belle's hair among other things) I don't think this update is bad. In fact the dress is growing on me. I too wish it weren't so busy but I like the fact that the collar is still pointed (I hated that original redesign dress they were going to give her)....just not so big and bulky as the original. Could it have been a little more pointy? yes. but...I don't mind this. I would like to see a full front shot without a pose so we can see what the full dress/collar looks like.

Monkee Girl

Exactly. He looks like Abraham Lincoln with that top hat. What were they thinking? His entire outfit is just all wrong.

HAHAHAHA, pimp hat! That's a good one!
What's really sad is Prince Phillip, I thought, was the hottest Disney prince. Well...at least until prince Eric came a long. He has such a tom cruise/prep boy look and it's so sad they don't really do a good job getting a good casting for him.

The guy in this picture is nice though...too bad pimp hat gets in the way, lol

Monkee Girl

What's really sad is Prince Phillip, I thought, was the hottest Disney prince. Well...at least until prince Eric came a long. He has such a tom cruise/prep boy look and it's so sad they don't really do a good job getting a good casting for him.

Gosh, that came out bad :oops: ....I don't mean the Prince Phillips are bad its just that...with the costume, which isn't very flattering, and not having a more distinctive look, he is a hard character to pull off I guess. The 3 original princes didn't have much character i know but I liked Phillip the best and just haven't seen the right one yet. I dunno, lol

Californian Elitist

I also think Philip is the best looking. Him and Naveen. I like Eric, too. Let's hope Philip's costume changes at some point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom