Aurora's New Look Debuts at WDW

muteki

I saw the pictures of Aurora's new dress yesterday and it took me a while to articulate why I don't like it.

Sleeping Beauty is the most high-concept out of all the princess movies, with frequent resemblance to a medieval tapestry. Aurora herself is the least naturalistic princess, probably because she must exist in this weird environment. Everything about her is pointy - her dress, elbows, eyebrows look sharp. The old dress echoed this pointiness by creating visual triangles in the bodice and infamous collar. Now, Aurora looks soft and plush and squooshy... just like every other princess. Her visual distinctiveness is gone.

So true. SB the film has such a unique style (why it is one of my favorites) that it is hard to replicate in 3 dimensions. The characters in the parks, are hit and miss.

Monkee Girl

I agree. I often say she is the most difficult princess to get right. It's the artists fault because they just made her too darn perfect, lol. Her portions are so beautiful and it's rare to see a great representation of her. Even when she is on the merchandise. The princess CDs never make her sound right. She doesn't sing pop and when they try to sing opera like they make her sound like Carlotta from Phantom of the Opera.

I think the best Aurora I have ever seen on video was from a few years ago in Disneyland. I watch this video when every I need a pick me up.

DJMoore2011

I am glad we got to have my daughter's picture taken with Aurora when we went in Nov. 2011. That dress is what my daughter recognizes as being Princess Aurora. As a Special Needs child for her it's about the look and well this new look is- well in my daughter's words "They will fix Aurora right Mommy? This is just a dress to be short time till the real dress is fixed right Mommy?" So we may not be seeing Aurora again, but since we are not going back till 2015 it might be enough time to get her to understand that this is her new dress that the Three Good Fairies wanted her to have a new dress. And hope it works.

DJ

Californian Elitist

I agree. I often say she is the most difficult princess to get right. It's the artists fault because they just made her too darn perfect, lol. Her portions are so beautiful and it's rare to see a great representation of her. Even when she is on the merchandise. The princess CDs never make her sound right. She doesn't sing pop and when they try to sing opera like they make her sound like Carlotta from Phantom of the Opera.

I think the best Aurora I have ever seen on video was from a few years ago in Disneyland. I watch this video when every I need a pick me up.

No doubt, the best. That was very sweet. Even better, she had her blue dress. They should have kept both her pink and blue dress at DL, given the fact her kingdom is there. Ugh.

Stevek

No doubt, the best. That was very sweet. Even better, she had her blue dress. They should have kept both her pink and blue dress at DL, given the fact her kingdom is there. Ugh.
I wonder if the young girl was a special needs chile, maybe health related as Aurora was overly affectionate and in the follow up video some 2 years later, she said she remembered her. Regardless, wonderful job by the CM.

Californian Elitist

I wonder if the young girl was a special needs chile, maybe health related as Aurora was overly affectionate and in the follow up video some 2 years later, she said she remembered her. Regardless, wonderful job by the CM.

This kind of behavior from the characters is common at DL. They are very friendly and affectionate. They tour the parks with kids, hug them, hold their hands... Character interaction as a whole is different in California. I'm guessing it's due to the different demographics.

Monkee Girl

I know. I don't know why they can't alternate the dresses. Is it really that big of a problem? The only time I see any representation of the blue dress in Disney World is in one of the stores. They have a display of her dress that magically alternates from pink to blue throughout the day. It's awesome. I just can't believe they can't have the pink of the day and blue and night...or alternate actresses/shifts or whatever. I am pretty sure the kids know who Aurora is despite color coding her.

Monkee Girl

I don't think so. From what I read in the comments, it was just a little girl who met her the day before or something and the two just really bonded together. Aurora remembered her from the day before as well.

Californian Elitist

I know. I don't know why they can't alternate the dresses. Is it really that big of a problem? The only time I see any representation of the blue dress in Disney World is in one of the stores. They have a display of her dress that magically alternates from pink to blue throughout the day. It's awesome. I just can't believe they can't have the pink of the day and blue and night...or alternate actresses/shifts or whatever. I am pretty sure the kids know who Aurora is despite color coding her.

Exactly. I think it's ridiculous not to have both colors. We only have two pink/blue representations here at DL. In the walkthrough in Sleeping Beauty Castle, at the end her dress changes colors. In the summer fireworks, Flora and Merryweather fight about her dress colors and pink and blue fireworks shoot off, LOL. Other than that, nothing. Sad.

Monkee Girl

This kind of behavior from the characters is common at DL. They are very friendly and affectionate. They tour the parks with kids, hug them, hold their hands... Character interaction as a whole is different in California. I'm guessing it's due to the different demographics.
yea. like I said before...doing the free roaming in the world would be impossible. The characters would be mauled to death, lol It's such a shame because just from watching videos, I can see the difference in experiences between the two parks.

When I was in MK Friday, I happened upon Alice and the White Rabbit (who is never out) so I got in line, waited my turn and when I went up to them, two little boys came over (who were not in line but the parents told them to go to them) and the White Rabbit spent a few moments saying hi to them. It didn't bother me because the kids are excited, but I could see how it wouldn't be fair to another little kid who waited patiently for their turn. Alice had to, very nicely, direct them to the line. Without the character helpers and the lines, it would be a mad house.

You know? that's happened to me a lot. I guess I have that face or something that says 'hey an adult, just cut in front of her' lol

Monkee Girl

Exactly. I think it's ridiculous not to have both colors. We only have two pink/blue representations here at DL. In the walkthrough in Sleeping Beauty Castle, at the end her dress changes colors. In the summer fireworks, Flora and Merryweather fight about her dress colors and pink and blue fireworks shoot off, LOL. Other than that, nothing. Sad.

You know why I hate it so much...maybe it's a history thing i guess. But...it's like...we know the dress is supposed to be blue. It's in the movie. And it's revisionism at it's worst. It's like...Hayden Christiansen in Return of the Jedi and Midichlorians. People changing history and we are supposed to just sit down and shut up because we aren't kids. That's wrong to me. All we are asking is to allow her to wear a blue dress. is that really too much to ask? lol:rolleyes:

Californian Elitist

yea. like I said before...doing the free roaming in the world would be impossible. The characters would be mauled to death, lol It's such a shame because just from watching videos, I can see the difference in experiences between the two parks.

When I was in MK Friday, I happened upon Alice and the White Rabbit (who is never out) so I got in line, waited my turn and when I went up to them, two little boys came over (who were not in line but the parents told them to go to them) and the White Rabbit spent a few moments saying hi to them. It didn't bother me because the kids are excited, but I could see how it wouldn't be fair to another little kid who waited patiently for their turn. Alice had to, very nicely, direct them to the line. Without the character helpers and the lines, it would be a mad house.

You know? that's happened to me a lot. I guess I have that face or something that says 'hey an adult, just cut in front of her' lol

Yep. I can understand why the system at DL is not used at WDW. To have the majority of the characters walking around by themselves would most likely cause some problems out there. Definitely makes for different experiences.

Kids cut me all the time... I don't mind either haha. I just smile.

lego606

MagicBandit
Yep. I can understand why the system at DL is not used at WDW. To have the majority of the characters walking around by themselves would most likely cause some problems out there. Definitely makes for different experiences.

Kids cut me all the time... I don't mind either haha. I just smile.

Just imagine if the characters at WDW went on rides too like DLR used to do. There would be utter and complete madness.

Monkee Girl

Just imagine if the characters at WDW went on rides too like DLR used to do. There would be utter and complete madness.
It would be cool to see the characters on the rides. But yea. I could actually see parents complaining that their precious angel didn't get to ride with the character or something silly.

the closest I got to seeing a character 'on a ride' was when Jack Sparrow was a new meet-able character. We were in the waiting line for Pirates near the loading dock and he popped his head out of a high window or something. Everyone looked up and he was there yelling something down to us. It was pretty funny. Other than that, nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom