Are you 23?

EPCOT Explorer

I'll put it this way.
Conventions dealing with big 'properties' (lack of a better word) charge quite a few for just a convention that throws a few freebies at the door, and sell out very quickly.
For instance, Blizzard Entertainments 3 day BlizzCon tickets sell for $100, across the street from Disneyland. You get some free swag at the door, and go to the event, and thats it. The tickets sell out in a period of minutes.

This is much more for the same-ish price.

I suppose.

But in my view, you can get it all for free, or a lower price.

eBay and Mousebits. :lol:

If it were a lower price, I'd be thrilled.

EPCOT Explorer

Information, rumors, etc ... yes, that is available everywhere. Don't expect this to deal with any of that. The online areas aren't going to be anything special, but they are more of a throw in.

I'm talking about what they provice.

Merch at lower price and media too.

Unless there is something more...?

Kamikaze

I suppose.

But in my view, you can get it all for free, or a lower price.

eBay and Mousebits. :lol:

If it were a lower price, I'd be thrilled.

What, reselling the merch on ebay? Yeah, I suppose you'll be able to get a certain item cheaper than $100. But if you're going to buy everything then you'd end up paying more.

I'm talking about what they provice.

Merch at lower price and media too.

Unless there is something more...?

Ah, I get it now. You misunderstood a little of what you were told. Its not really a merch discount, its more unique merchandise, though a discount on some stuff is part of it (same type of discounts that are always available on disneyshopping.com)

EpcotServo

I'll put it this way.
Conventions dealing with big 'properties' (lack of a better word) charge quite a few for just a convention that throws a few freebies at the door, and sell out very quickly.
For instance, Blizzard Entertainments 3 day BlizzCon tickets sell for $100, across the street from Disneyland. You get some free swag at the door, and go to the event, and thats it. The tickets sell out in a period of minutes.

This is much more for the same-ish price.

I doubt that they can come up with anything cooler than BlizzCon at the parks that warrants $150.

Not saying they can't, just doubting is all. It depends on if it's Convention-oriented or Merchandise-oriented.

Plus, The Disneyana Convention.

What happened there?
:dazzle:

EPCOT Explorer

Ah, I get it now. You misunderstood a little of what you were told. Its not really a merch discount, its more unique merchandise, though a discount on some stuff is part of it (same type of discounts that are always available on disneyshopping.com)

No, I heard that it would be replicas. Of things.

I would rather go on ebay and get the real thing. Why have a "fake"?

Kamikaze

I doubt that they can come up with anything cooler than BlizzCon at the parks that warrants $150.

Not saying they can't, just doubting is all. It depends on if it's Convention-oriented or Merchandise-oriented.

Plus, The Disneyana Convention.

What happened there?
:dazzle:

BlizzCon is a few things.
Free gifts/contests at the door
(Easily replicated)
Tournament Finals
(some sort of Trivia could replace it for Disney)
Unveiling of a new game/expansion
(Disney could unveil a new E-Ticket)
Then the last part are the conferences.
(Easy. Imagineers, people like Jim MacPhee, etc)

All this said, I never heard anything explicitly about a convention being 100% a part of it. But with the Anaheim Convention Center literally right across the street from the Disneyland Resort, it makes sense.

EpcotServo

BlizzCon is a few things.
Free gifts/contests at the door
(Easily replicated)
Tournament Finals
(some sort of Trivia could replace it for Disney)
Unveiling of a new game/expansion
(Disney could unveil a new E-Ticket)
Then the last part are the conferences.
(Easy. Imagineers, people like Jim MacPhee, etc)

All this said, I never heard anything explicitly about a convention being 100% a part of it. But with the Anaheim Convention Center literally right across the street from the Disneyland Resort, it makes sense.

You don't have to tell me about BlizzCon, I get it. The thing is that I think they'll have a hard time selling 23 to WDW people if they'll always only do stuff at Disneyland...

We shall see...

Kamikaze

You don't have to tell me about BlizzCon, I get it. The thing is that I think they'll have a hard time selling 23 to WDW people if they'll always only do stuff at Disneyland...

We shall see...

No I was just comparing the BlizzCon events to what Disney could do that would be similar.

They have plenty of on-site convention centers at WDW to use, so they wouldn't always have it at DLR. But DLR is where it started, so ...

bradk

it's going to be audio only and it's not something new for them, but yes, should be interesting.

speaking of interesting, iger spoke today from another conference and he all but mentioned D23 by name, referring to it as a 'disney affinity club'

I have audio posted at http://www.stitchkingdom.com/tag/d23

Captain Chaos

Here is an artice, submitted for your approval:

CORRECT: Disney CEO Sees Possibility Of Online Subscription Service
8:10 PM EST March 3, 2009

(In "Disney CEO Sees Possibility Of Online Subscription Service," at 7:54 p.m. EST, it was incorrectly reported that Disney's shares fell Tuesday. The correct version follows.)

By Andrew Morse
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones)--Walt Disney Co. (DIS) Chief Executive Robert Iger said Tuesday he could see the entertainment giant creating an online subscription club for its movies and televisions shows at some point as a way to leverage its brand on the Web.
Iger, who was speaking at a Deutsche Bank-sponsored conference in Florida, didn't say whether the company is developing such a model. But his comments come just weeks after Iger surprised media industry observers by saying he thought DVD sales were facing pressure not only from a slumping economy but from the increasing use of the Internet for entertainment.
"We're trying to find ways to make it work for us and not fight it," Iger said, referring to the delivery of content over the Internet. "From our perspective, the computer is a very, very important place to entertain people."
Iger's comments come against a backdrop of continuing difficulty for entertainment and media companies. Many have seen their advertising businesses eroded by the double whammy of a struggling economy and a shift away from their traditional strongholds - print and broadcast outlets - to Internet platforms. A similar pattern is unfolding in movie and television studio operations, which are seeing sales of DVDs slip as consumers cut discretionary spending and opt to watch programs and movies from streaming video services.
While some media executives believe the slip in DVD sales is largely a function of the struggling economy, Iger has suggested consumers are less likely to return to the format after a recovery begins. To prepare for that, Disney, Burbank, Calif., said last month it was slimming its catalog of DVDs.
In February, the entertainment company reported a 32% drop in net income during its fiscal first quarter, a performance that underscored the steep falloff in consumer spending. Disney reported net income of $845 million, or 45 cents a share, for the quarter, down from $1.25 billion, or 63 cents a share, a year earlier. Analysts had expected net income of 52 cents a share.
Iger said that while traffic to Disney's theme parks was holding up, there was some slowdown in spending by visitors. The company was seeing decreased spending per capita among visitors, particularly among Disney merchandise.
On Tuesday, Disney shares rose 1.9% to $16.36.

-By Andrew Morse, Dow Jones Newswires; 415-439-6402; andrew.morse@dowjones.com

Click here to go to Dow Jones NewsPlus, a web front page of today's most important business and market news, analysis and commentary: http://www.djnewsplus.com/nae/al?rnd...fDDrEXEA==. You can use this link on the day this article is published and the following day.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires
03-03-09 2010ET
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

bradk

in that context, i don't think he was referring to D23 specifically. he was looking at long term strategies, both with selling disney movies digitally as well as making disney.com a retail marketplace across the board. he did mention the potential of a 'movie subscription club' but that was all future speak.

but he did make several references to customer relationship management, disney branding, subscriptions and of course the 'disney affinity club' to appear 'in the next few days' as the audio clip i posted states.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom