Anyone else think Test Track is a totally weak ride?

WDWRocks08

My ENTIRE family consistently ranks TT as their favorite ride. I believe it is a great ride and one that you can re-ride a lot. It is very informative and also packs in a bunch of thrills. One of my favorie Disney Memories is back when it was first opening and it was breaking down for months at a time and it didn't actually open until like a year after it was supposed to.

Tom Morrow

I love Test Track, although its in dire need of a good rehab.

It's not that intense - nothing at WDW really is - but I love it because I'm a theme park nerd and it still impresses me every time I ride. I also don't understand how you can possibly think the high speed loops are boring. Yeah, you drive faster on the highway, but you also aren't in a small electric car that is driving itself, on a TINY track with narrow turns 15 feet in the air.

hpyhnt 1000

That was like over a year ago, I was young and confused. :(

Tsk, Tsk! Excuses, excuses!

-Just Kidding! :D I couldn't resist! Please don't hold it against me! :wave:

Anyway, I think the biggest thing about TT is that Disney probably did hype it up a little too much. I think Everest suffers from that, too. Both are great attractions, but compared to other thrills at Disney and at other parks, they proabably lack the punch that some people expect.

Personally, I think its a nice thrill ride that exemplifies the Disney belief that the whole family can have fun together. It also has an educational aspect to it as well. That being said, I would like to see something a little more futuristic. I know the technology behind it is state of the art, and we're testing out cars of the future, blah, blah, blah. But everyone knows what a car is, and people drive/ride in one everyday. I would like to see a more innovative mode of transportation, something focusing on the technology/possibilities of what we can see in the future instead of just the technology of today.

Little Green Men

Test Track is my absolute favorite ride EVER! I'm sorry,but I just love it! I'd go on it 20 times in a row if I could. But it's too popular, so there's always a line!:)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I've seen a lot postings on these boards from people who don't like TT. I happen to love it, as do my wife, my parents, and my DS4. It's fun, has an innovative ride system, incorporates the type of detail you find at Disney and nowhere else, and is thrilling enough to please teenagers while still being rideable by all ages.

That being said, I understand why some people wouldn't like it. For one, it was such a big departure from the tone and mission of what it replaced. WoM was a look at transportation developments over the years. TT, to the extent it informs at all, does so only about a narrow aspect of transportation, with no look at the past or future. Only the testing displays in the line really provide any real insight into anything, and these days, you go past those so quickly that they might as well not exist. In addition, the technology is balky at best -- screens often don't work right, ride goes down if somebody as much as spits on the track, and the timing of effects is often off. Plus, some of the thrills could be considered just gussied-up funhouse thrills.

Like I said, I think it all works and I ride multiple times every trip, but I understand why some people don't think highly of it. And while I can't say I'd trade it for WoM straight up, I am very sad that WoM had to die for TT to be born. It seemed quite unnecessary to me.

earldw28

Yes, I think it and Dinosaur are completely overrated and are terrible rides.
TT is worse than Dinosaur, though. Much worse. The only time I will go on TT is if there is no line, so first thing in the morning.

I have to agree with you about Dinosaur it is way overrated but I love Test Track I think it's a great addition to Epcot.

earldw28

When you are in the pre-show they make it sound like your going to be doing some crazy accelerating and swerving and such. But the ride is just lame. My commute to work everyday is much more eventful - super steep ice covered hills, merging across 5 lanes within 15 feet, dodging the cars that weren't succesful and are crasing around me, deciding whether its worth hitting certain pedestrians or not as they stupicly step in front of my car. Then I get on TT and its like the TTA.

What are some of the rides that you do like?

marinoalulema

Account Suspended
test track

i know i am in the minority also but i have hated it since the first time i rode it opening week
i tried it a couple of times since then and have never enjoyed it
a cab ride here in nyc is much more fun and thrilling

mickeypal1

I must say that TT, when working properly, is one of my families favorite rides. But the last few times, there always is some part that does not work.
And having driven in Pittsburgh, I can see why it may seem like TTA.

SeaBreeze

I like TT and I love Dinosaur. I'm not a coaster person at all so these are the only 'thrill' rides I actually ride.

Plus I'm an engineer. I sort of have a crush on those ride vehicles. :lookaroun

kimmychad

I think it was a great concept with a poor execution. However, the majority of guests probably disagree, seeing as the attraction has consistently had one of the longest wait times on all of WDW property since it opened.

it had waits of 105 minutes this week, way too long to wait for any ride

sublimesting

Original Poster
What are some of the rides that you do like?

Don't get me wrong I do ride it every trip, it's fun but still weak for what it could have been. It's just that it is presented as an extreme ride and when you ride it then it is not at all extreme. They could have made it more extreme and still been family friendly. For example, when you fishtail skid, it would be way cooler to really fishtail bigtime, not that marginal backend slide. I have used up my alottment for the use of the word "extreme" for the day I think.

As for what rides I like? Well, one of my favorites is IASW, so feel free to flame me for that everybody.:p My favorite of all time is HM and POC but Splash Mntn is really up there too. I ride everything in all the parks!

Ilovewishes

When you are in the pre-show they make it sound like your going to be doing some crazy accelerating and swerving and such. But the ride is just lame. My commute to work everyday is much more eventful - super steep ice covered hills, merging across 5 lanes within 15 feet, dodging the cars that weren't succesful and are crasing around me, deciding whether its worth hitting certain pedestrians or not as they stupicly step in front of my car. Then I get on TT and its like the TTA.

Oh my goodness, thank heavens someone else said it!!! First time we went on that ride, I was so wound up after seeing the video but afterwards, I was really disappointed! The bumps aren't bumpy, the corners are not fast and the only good bit is that last part where you zoom around outside and even that could be faster! I had heard such good things about it before we went and I was really disappointed!

However, I have now lowered my expectations and can enjoy it.

I also think the same about Soarin'. Heard really good things but was disappointed by the actual ride. I don't like the fact that the scenes chop and change. They could do with being one continual scene to make it more real!

CThaddeus

While I'll be the first to admit that the ride system is amazing, the attraction itself is weak...and I'm not talking about it being "thrilling" or "extreme" enough. I don't care for it because, as others have mentioned, it's little more than the conditions you experience on your drive to work every day or for that matter, on your drive to EPCOT. Turn on the air conditioner, it's cold. Turn on the heat, it's hot. Slam on the brakes to avoid the person doing something moronic in front of you, go over bumps in the road, drive fast...none of these things are unique. They're utterly commonplace, which makes for a dull experience for me. Yes, you're in a tiny car doing these things, but that doesn't make it any more exciting for me.
Next, there's the complete lack of educational value. I don't feel I've learned a thing coming out of there, except that speed turns people on.
Then, there's no forward-thinking. Future World at its best not only inspires and stimulates the imagination (and Test Track doesn't do this for me, either), but it only tells you how cars were tested in 1995. Do they still test them the exact same way? Possibly. But there's not a hint of "the future of transportation" anywhere in the ride.
Finally, it's one of the least detailed dark rides ever. There are so many areas of nothing but black space, and the props they do use often look cheap and tacky - wooden cut-outs of trees, anyone?
To me, the spirit of Disney just isn't in this attraction. It has the look of shoddiness about it to me. Yes, many people do like it, and that's great for them. As for me, I consider it EPCOT's weakest link, moreso even than the current Journey Into Imagination with Figment.
Ultimately, I feel the Carsland attraction to be placed in California Adventure will make this ride system feel properly used. It looks as if they'll be telling some kind of story, and it's not set in a Park that I expect to have attractions to educate, inspire, and give me a positive outlook on the future.
On the other hand, I do enjoy Mission: Space, Expedition: Everest, and to a lesser degree, Dinosaur. Those I feel do live up to the Disney standard of excellence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom