Anyone else sad Mickey+Minnie's houses are going?

emaginear

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't the ideal spot for Mickey + Minnie's houses, as well as Donald's boat, be the new animation resort. Maybe move most of the Toon-town props / decor to the new resort for kids + adults. I thought it was to have a "classical" animation side as well as new computer animation side.

MKCP 1985

Mickey and Minnie are going condo at the Magic Kingdom, living in upstairs apartments on Main Street USA. Sorry, you can't tour their homes because . . . they LIVE there! :lol:

I won't miss the houses one bit.

mharrington

Mickey and Minnie are going condo at the Magic Kingdom, living in upstairs apartments on Main Street USA. Sorry, you can't tour their homes because . . . they LIVE there! :lol:

I won't miss the houses one bit.

How do you know they're living in a condo? Will you at least be able see their apartments?

jt04

I really wish they would relocate the houses someplace. Just the architectural aspects of them are cool. It's a real live cartoon. The rest of Toontown can go.

If it is possible to move them I am certain they will. But it is possible that they are dry rotted in a manner similar to the tea cup roof. The TTF buildings were always meant to be temporary and were probably built that way.

I have a feeling the new digs on MSUSA will be much much nicer.

wolf359

If it is possible to move them I am certain they will. But it is possible that they are dry rotted in a manner similar to the tea cup roof. The TTF buildings were always meant to be temporary and were probably built that way.

It's possible, but I think by the time they rebuilt Mickey's house in the mid 90s I think the "temporary" mindset was pretty much over.

mharrington

I don't see how they can possibly convert the Expo Hall into living quarters for Mickey and the gang. It's an awkward position, right inside the park entrance. It's off to the side and I don't think people realize it's there. They're going in or out of the park and they're probably not thinking about doing anything right at that exact moment.

It's like with the Opera House at Disneyland where Mr. Lincoln is (which is in the same general vicinity as the Expo Hall). The location for that show is problematic. People are just walking in or leaving the park and are not thinking about doing attractions at that particular juncture. The hat shop next door actually does more business than the show does. This was why Disneyland tried time and time again to replace the sparsely-attended show, only to face opposition for fans whenever it does that.

So if Mr. Lincoln never did much business, how can they expect the Expo Hall to do better, even if it is in a different park?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I don't see how they can possibly convert the Expo Hall into living quarters for Mickey and the gang. It's an awkward position, right inside the park entrance. It's off to the side and I don't think people realize it's there. They're going in or out of the park and they're probably not thinking about doing anything right at that exact moment.

It's like with the Opera House at Disneyland where Mr. Lincoln is (which is in the same general vicinity as the Expo Hall). The location for that show is problematic. People are just walking in or leaving the park and are not thinking about doing attractions at that particular juncture. The hat shop next door actually does more business than the show does. This was why Disneyland tried time and time again to replace the sparsely-attended show, only to face opposition for fans whenever it does that.

So if Mr. Lincoln never did much business, how can they expect the Expo Hall to do better, even if it is in a different park?

If people want to meet M&M and the gang the will seek it out.

Trust me they will find it.

wolf359

I don't think any meet and greet's success has depended on location. They could put Mickey on one of the islands in the middle of the Seven Seas Lagoon and people would still find a way to get there. But in this case I just don't see how being right at the front of the park is any less convenient then all the way back in Toontown Fair.

Wilt Dasney

But in this case I just don't see how being right at the front of the park is any less convenient then all the way back in Toontown Fair.
Excellent point. Toontown Fair is probably in the least convenient location in the park, but people still swamp it. I suspect the reason is the Mouse Meet spots are something people actively seek out, not something they decide to do spontaneously while walking past.

mharrington

If people want to meet M&M and the gang the will seek it out.

Trust me they will find it.

Well, how would they know WHERE to go? And WHEN? I don't think they would have the time or patience to go all over the park just to seek out the characters? I know I don't.

And why put it in an area that I still consider awkward?

Wilt Dasney

Well, how would they know WHERE to go? And WHEN? I don't think they would have the time or patience to go all over the park just to seek out the characters? I know I don't.
Signs? Park map entries? Times Guide notations? In short, the same mechanisms that steer guests to every other attraction on property?

Sorry if that comes across condescending, but I'm genuinely struggling to see how these can be remotely serious concerns. :shrug:

mharrington

Sorry if that comes across condescending, but I'm genuinely struggling to see how these can be remotely serious concerns. :shrug:

I just feel that with Toontown, the answer to the question of where to find Mickey and the gang is answered handily. I feel that any meet-n-greet with Mickey should now be an attraction in itself (hence his house, which explains his living quarters, real or temporary) and in an area in which he feels comfortable. But by removing Toontown from the park, I feel as though this kind of a step backwards. Hence, my concern about finding a true place to find him. At least with Mickey's house, you KNOW you will find him there.

Besides, I don't even see any actual evidence of the Expo Hall being worked on to accommodate the characters.

wolf359

I'm with Wilt on this one, I really, really think it is a non issue. Mickey is in one place, all day long from open to close. No matter where that one place is, be it Toontown or Main Street, people will be able to find him. People accomplish much harder tasks on a daily basis (even when on vacation) than finding Mickey Mouse in the Magic Kingdom...

mharrington

I'm with Wilt on this one, I really, really think it is a non issue. Mickey is in one place, all day long from open to close. No matter where that one place is, be it Toontown or Main Street, people will be able to find him. People accomplish much harder tasks on a daily basis (even when on vacation) than finding Mickey Mouse in the Magic Kingdom...

To be fair, this thread is about whether or not anyone is disappointed about the loss of Mickey and Minnie's houses. I'm particularly disappointed, even though I never actually took the time to see it when I was there. I just feel as though a house for Mickey is and should be as commonplace in the parks as established classics like Pirates and Big Thunder. Mickey's house (at least at Disneyland) is an attraction in its own right. I'm also worried that they might just place Mickey in front an otherwise plain, blank, nondescript wall and leave it at that. Then again, I would not be the least bit surprised if they did that, what with them being so tight about the dough necessary to touch it up and whatnot.

And I wonder why Goofy is staying in Fantasyland (his attraction is still themed to him) while the rest of his compadres get the axe in this area.

MKCP 1985

To be fair, this thread is about whether or not anyone is disappointed about the loss of Mickey and Minnie's houses. I'm particularly disappointed, even though I never actually took the time to see it when I was there.

facepalm.jpg

Lee

Adventurer
Besides, I don't even see any actual evidence of the Expo Hall being worked on to accommodate the characters.

I'm also worried that they might just place Mickey in front an otherwise plain, blank, nondescript wall and leave it at that.

There have been substantial modificatons to the rear areas of the Expo hall to accomodate the character M&Gs.
They aren't just dumping them back there, and will not be placing Mickey in front of a "blank, nondescript wall".

WDWFREAK53

I just feel that with Toontown, the answer to the question of where to find Mickey and the gang is answered handily. I feel that any meet-n-greet with Mickey should now be an attraction in itself (hence his house, which explains his living quarters, real or temporary) and in an area in which he feels comfortable. But by removing Toontown from the park, I feel as though this kind of a step backwards. Hence, my concern about finding a true place to find him. At least with Mickey's house, you KNOW you will find him there.

...but Toontown isn't the only place right now...to meet Mickey.

There isn't a "Toontown" in DHS...and people don't have a problem finding him. If they do, people ask a CM.

If it's promoted...they'll find him. He's not exactly "under the radar" hehe.

mharrington

There have been substantial modificatons to the rear areas of the Expo hall to accomodate the character M&Gs.
They aren't just dumping them back there, and will not be placing Mickey in front of a "blank, nondescript wall".

How do you know? Do you have any pictures? Or at least a detailed description?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom