Anyone else sad Mickey+Minnie's houses are going?

WDWGoof07

Well, you'd think they would mention that in the "news and updates" section, which they don't. They would at least go into detail on the Expo Hall, if not provide any pictures. And I'm also wondering why they've opted for Mickey and Minnie to appear in Tomorrowland, of all places.

And there is a picture of the Expo Hall, from the outside. And there is a decent-sized construction wall next to the building, but it's from a distance, and it could very be just a simple touch-up job and nothing more:

Has the Expo Hall officially been shut down? Because it's hard to tell from the big construction wall here.
The exterior work shown in your picture is unrelated to the M&G project taking place inside. It is not necessary to shut down the entire Expo Hall because the M&G will not occupy the entire building although it will take up a large portion of it.

The Tomorrowland M&G for Mickey and Minnie is only a temporary measure until their new spot is ready in the Expo Hall. This was probably the most efficient location in a logistical sense for a temporary M&G for two very popular characters.

The Expo Hall M&G is actually old news, but, like most character M&G news, it hasn't been heavily discussed. I'm sure it's impossible to get pictures because the project is indoors with no way to peek over the wall. Our reliable insiders have assured us that Disney is putting in a good effort toward making this venue nice for the mice. And that is probably all they are allowed to tell us. The collective track record for all of our insiders is solid. I'd trust them.

As for myself, the destruction of Toontown Fair is bittersweet. I quite enjoyed the houses, and I'm sad to see them go. I'm glad I took a thorough tour with lots of pictures last summer. On the other hand, I'm eagerly anticipating the FLE; so, I won't miss Toontown Fair terribly once that is finished.

I don't think you can consider Mickey and Minnie homeless once their houses go. The guests in pre-Toontown DL and MK didn't perceive it that way. Like someone said earlier, their new home will be Main Street.

RAXIP

Has the Expo Hall officially been shut down? Because it's hard to tell from the big construction wall here.

Most of the inside of building was blocked off in early January.
DSCN0193.JPG

DSCN0194.JPG

mharrington

I don't think you can consider Mickey and Minnie homeless once their houses go. The guests in pre-Toontown DL and MK didn't perceive it that way. Like someone said earlier, their new home will be Main Street.

But I do think you can consider them homeless in the sense of them having no place to sleep at night. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and closed-minded, but in hindsight, I honestly think they should be in areas that fit the theme of the land in question. And Mickey and Minnie do not really fit Main Street.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
But I do think you can consider them homeless in the sense of them having no place to sleep at night. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and closed-minded, but in hindsight, I honestly think they should be in areas that fit the theme of the land in question. And Mickey and Minnie do not really fit Main Street.

That's where they hung out for years before TT came around.

wolf359

At this point I don't think there's any "maybe" about it. :lol:

I'm curious, and a little perspective would help me understand the problem better, but have you visited a Disney park before it contained a Mickey's house?

Because I think that might be the source of the conflicting opinions about this. I grew up visiting Disneyland at a time where there were no centralized, formalized meet and greet locations. You simply "found" a walk-around character and met them. Although, more often than not, you'd usually find Mickey...you guessed it: On Main Street.

So the idea of Mickey having a tangible house for him to supposedly live in never really occurred to me, or seemed particularly necessary to fill in that particular gap in the fantasy. Honestly, before this thread I didn't think there was anyone out there over the age of six that thought Mickey even needed a place to sleep.

But, if we are going to keep that particular bit of fantasy alive, keep in mind that the Exposition Hall was at one point going to be the Main Street Hotel, so I'm just sure there are some very nice accommodations upstairs (separate rooms, of course) for Mickey and Minnie to sleep in.

jt04

At this point I don't think there's any "maybe" about it. :lol:

I'm curious, and a little perspective would help me understand the problem better, but have you visited a Disney park before it contained a Mickey's house?

Because I think that might be the source of the conflicting opinions about this. I grew up visiting Disneyland at a time where there were no centralized, formalized meet and greet locations. You simply "found" a walk-around character and met them. Although, more often than not, you'd usually find Mickey...you guessed it: On Main Street.

So the idea of Mickey having a tangible house for him to supposedly live in never really occurred to me, or seemed particularly necessary to fill in that particular gap in the fantasy. Honestly, before this thread I didn't think there was anyone out there over the age of six that thought Mickey even needed a place to sleep.

But, if we are going to keep that particular bit of fantasy alive, keep in mind that the Exposition Hall was at one point going to be the Main Street Hotel, so I'm just sure there are some very nice accommodations upstairs (separate rooms, of course) for Mickey and Minnie to sleep in.

I think even more important is that Main Street and Walt Disney and the creation of the mouse is the 'backstory'. Even if it isn't described as such. Mickey is Walt and Main Street is Walt. And it is the only land that actually works for placement of Mickey. It is the perfect place for the m&g.

jt04

Sorry but that is just absurd. See previous post.

Captain Chaos

Mickey lives in Celebration... Or has his own private suite in WDW somewhere, and of course you can't go to it.. It's his PRIVATE sactuary... there, now he has a place to sleep...

Wilt Dasney

Mickey lives in Celebration... Or has his own private suite in WDW somewhere, and of course you can't go to it.. It's his PRIVATE sactuary... there, now he has a place to sleep...
I like that idea better. Why would Mickey want a bunch of strangers tromping through his "real" house and messing with his stuff while he's out working all day anyway? :lol:

Wilt Dasney

Also...the idea that Mickey doesn't fit on Main Street is actively discredited at Disneyland (and once was at WDW) by the existence of Mickey Mouse cartoons in the Main Street Cinema. Granted, they're black-and-white and represent Mickey in an early stage of his artistic evolution, but he's there!

WDWGoof07

Main Street is where they will sleep at night, just like all the other citizens of the town (e.g. the Mayor). Again, that was how it was depicted before Toontown opened up.

Mickey & Friends can fit anywhere in the Magic Kingdom because their characters are so versatile from having been depicted in various settings and time periods.

mharrington

Also...the idea that Mickey doesn't fit on Main Street is actively discredited at Disneyland (and once was at WDW) by the existence of Mickey Mouse cartoons in the Main Street Cinema. Granted, they're black-and-white and represent Mickey in an early stage of his artistic evolution, but he's there!

The cartoons at the Cinema don't necessarily count.

Captain Chaos

I like that idea better. Why would Mickey want a bunch of strangers tromping through his "real" house and messing with his stuff while he's out working all day anyway? :lol:

And people today, they just can't be trusted... They would steal, break something, maybe set him up for a crime he didn't commit.. LOL...

Seriously, are really debating where Mickey Mouse sleeps at night??? Fanboys whip themselves up into a frenzy over the smallest thing, but over this??? :brick:

Wilt Dasney

The cartoons at the Cinema don't necessarily count.
Why on earth wouldn't they count? They're THERE. (Or they were there, in WDW's case.) They've been a part of Main Street lore and theming for decades...much longer than Toontown, for that matter.

Without a little bit of a more substantive rebuttal than that, I'll stick with the opinion that they most definitely "count" in any accounting of what Main Street is all about. :)

DonaldDoleWhip

Honestly, I wasn't sad when I thought the area was being replaced with something new. Pixie Hollow, Alice in Wonderland, whatever, I would've been fine.

But considering the tents are staying, and Goofy is staying, and a cheap circus theme is taking over the area (to me, I don't see much of a difference between a circus and a country fair with rides and tents), I'm sad. Mickey's and Minnie's houses were the best part of Toontown because of the detail in them, so it's strange that we're losing the houses but not the rest of cheap, temporary Toontown.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom